George Harrison All things must pass 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by backintheussr, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attila the Professor

Attila the Professor Forum Resident

Good luck with that, I've been searching for months with no luck

Vic_1957 likes this.
  2. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I wish there was a closer look at some inside pages, but I guess it'll be out soon enough so we can see:

Book - Rizzoli New York

Jerry Horne likes this.
  3. djnathan7

djnathan7 Forum Resident

If you think the 2014 sounds loud you better avoid the 2001 remaster which makes the latter sound like an audiophile release in comparison.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

The 2001 version sounded horrible to me: muddy, murky. I like the 2014 remaster because it’s so clear! You can actually hear every single instrument on Wah Wah!

ponkine, Lewisboogie and marklamb like this.
  5. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Originally released in November 1970 as a single, Harrison's first as a solo artist, and topped charts worldwide; it was the biggest-selling single of 1971 in the UK. In America and Britain, the song was the first number-one single by an ex-Beatle.

The b-side is an anthemic ballad and one of Harrison's most celebrated compositions. "Isn't It a Pity" has been described as the emotional and musical centerpiece of All Things Must Pass and "a poignant reflection on The Beatles' coarse ending". Co-produced by Phil Spector, the recording employs multiple keyboard players, rhythm guitarists and percussionists, as well as orchestration by arranger John Barham. In its extended fadeout, the song references the closing refrain of the Beatles' 1968 hit "Hey Jude". Other musicians on the recording include Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, Gary Wright and the band Badfinger, while the reprise version features Eric Clapton on lead guitar.

[​IMG]

RSDBF '20 Special Release: George Harrison - My Sweet Lord

6. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

"My Sweet Lord" / "Isn't It A Pity" has to go down as one of the great double-sided singles.

What a corker!

(Photos of George from mid-1970 are funny in that he is trying so desperately hard to look 'serious'.)

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I don't think he was trying, and he certainly wasn't desperate.

The Band and DK Pete like this.
  8. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

So any word on an official 50th release? I keep reading the same article over and over again on different threads but I don't think anything's really progressed on this and this is like my big one of the year if it happens.

boggs likes this.
  9. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I think the latest informed speculation is that an ATMP 50th box is coming, but has been pushed back to 2021 -- possibly around George's birthday. We'll see.

Lewisboogie and IronWaffle like this.
  10. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Announced on Twitter today: "Celebrate the 50th anniversary of George Harrison’s seminal album, ‘All Things Must Pass’, for the holidays with this commemorative ornament."

Was hoping for music for Christmas but only got an ornament!

[​IMG]

11. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

[​IMG]

The George Harrison masterpiece, ‘All Things Must Pass’, celebrates its 50th anniversary today, and to mark this very special occasion, you can listen to the brand new 2020 stereo mix of the album’s title track now -

12. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I like the new mix but I wish the little luck going into the final section was louder.

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I wonder if they're using the alternate shot for the cover of the remixed album..a poster on another thread suggested that this should have been done with all the remixed albums to differentiate from the originals...I think that's a great idea.

14. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I saw that the new mix was posted on George's social media. Went to listen to it -- I LOVE IT.

I know there will be detractors on here, as there always are, but I will not be deterred from adoring it!

Note they said "This is a prelude to what is to come in 2021."

So we *will* have some great things to look forward to!

I'm sad that George died before he could hear this terrific remix of his beautiful music.

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Fwiw, there’s MUCH more discussion about this over here (including press release):
    George Harrison: Archive Release Speculation
    I’d suggest just having one discussion there, rather than carrying on in multiple threads.

16. Re new mix:

Interesting. It is definitely clearer but it seems to have lost the haunting beautiful quality of the original.

17. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Jon Carin - for one - isn't impressed with it.

'Anyone who knows me, will know that this record is my favorite. Ever. It’s 50 years old today.
    I still have my original vinyl version.
    I’m sorry the estate decided to celebrate it with a new mix that has removed any emotional content it ever had by Pro Tooling it to death, using cheap plugins to remove reverb & atmosphere, but at least it can make us appreciate Phil Spector’s absolute genius when we go back to the real version.
    Can’t wait for Jackson Pollock’s family to decide to remove those irritating paint splashes & Leonardo da Vinci’s ancestors to straighten Mona Lisa’s smile.'

18. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

So the bauble wasn't so bad after all.

sonnyrock likes this.
  19. Bern

Bern JC4Me

He still has his original lp...he still has the remastered lp. I really don't get some people.

20. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

That remix is amazing!

21. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

Lewisboogie and LoveYourLife like this.
  22. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Is the RSD single of My Sweet Lord a remix?

Dr-Winston and DK Pete like this.
  23. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Maybe with this box we’ll get some of these tracks without the string and brass overdubs?
    That would appeal to me - just like the new Elvis set.

24. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I will never understand those who complain about a new remix of an old classic. No one is confiscating your copies with the original mix. God forbid we get to hear a different mix. Sacrilege!

mrgroove01, 905, superstar19 and 7 others like this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Are you familiar with the remix of this same song on the Scorcese documentary?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.