JETHRO TULL: Thick As A Brick 50th anniversary deluxe reissue this October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Progatron, Jun 21, 2022.

1. wabrit

wabrit from gardens where we feel secure

I realise this might not be "reading the room" as far as the priorities of this forum go, but I'm less bothered by the quality of the pressing than the fact that the vinyl is going to include the full newspaper :)

LordThanos1969, MicSmith, ARK and 4 others like this.
  2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I am really happy for those that will finally be able to order this one to complete their collection but please just order it, do not procrastinate. This is probably the last time they will reissue it.

A few years back and when OOP, I was lucky enough to snag a sealed copy for $30 in a small independant local shop. Luck was again on my side when I discovered the DVD included in the set was the corrected one.:winkgrin:

I will probably get the vinyl version as my old Canadian copy with newspaper needs a break.

3. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I did the same and will report back if I get a reply.

4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I got the corrected version off this forum a couple years back for a good price. Will snag this LP edition for sure though.

5. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

[​IMG] :righton:
    :angel: Line or no line? Will Quad's store be open? :hide: :ignore:
    [​IMG]

Norco74 likes this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'm gonna stick with the vinyl. It'll get played more.

7. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

What's the difference between the 50th anniv. edition and this issue, Chrysalis, 2015, which is also the 2012 Wilson mix? Is it that the 50th will have better packaging?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  8. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Anyway, a Parlophone reissue of the 40th can be bought at Grooves Land. Note, that's a reissue of the album remixed by Steven Wilson and mastered by Peter Mew.

I just preordered the 50th from Rhino, which ended up being a few dollars more, after postage to Japan was added.

9. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Not to be one of those OCD people, but the Chrysalis logo looks out of place at the bottom of the spine while all the other albums have the logo up top. Maybe change it?! :D

And while I haven't gotten to the last page yet, the 96/24 High Resolution mix does say "new mix" in parenthesis - so I've got to assume it's the un-Mew-stered mix. Still contemplating buying too just for the revisions...

JulesRules and GRompre68 like this.
  10. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

50th anniversary version LP -> same 2012 Wilson mix but with half-speed mastering.
    Also the 2015 version doesn't have original newspaper packaging.

Plan9 likes this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

We're assuming the newer release won't use the Peter Mew mastering that was on the 2015.

Alan57, Geordiepete and aoxomoxoa like this.
  12. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

New Mix is 2012 Steven Wilson remix.
    That's the same mix as in previous version.
    Question is about mastering which is shrouded in mystery.
    But I'm a little bit sceptical about it. They didn't announce anything about new unmastered mix {which they did for 2016 45th anniversary reissue of Aqualung}. I'm not sure if there was enough will to replace CD and 96/24 stereo remix part on DVD...

13. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Actually, I don't think that Mew mastered vinyl (credits are replicated from CD). He did only touch CDs and DVDs in the 2012 bookset.
    But that half-speed mastering method on 50th anniversary LP could lead to better results, I don't know a lot about vinyl mastering...

Plan9 likes this.
  14. tootull

It's thick as a brick. Must appear dumb. ;) I complained to Warner back in 2o12/13 to please remove the mastering/distortion & add the missing "yeah". If the Peter Mew mastering is still around I would be surprised. Warner has treated me well since this.

ausamerika, FVDnz, Galeans and 2 others like this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Does it have the "yeah"? I've not heard the 2015 Vinyl, and since I have the original release with the newspaper, I'm basically looking for excuses here.

16. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

I don't know. Don't have the vinyl. Maybe it doesn't have the final 'yeah', but from my research Mew wasn't mastering vinyl at that time anymore.
    This thread is inconclusive:
    Thick As a Brick vinyl re-issue

Excuse for 50th anniversary LP could be: 2012 SW remix with the best possible vinyl mastering in gorgeous package. :)

fast'n'bulbous likes this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Sure, I'm pretty sure they don't need a reason to reissue something, I'm glad they're bothering. Plus there are people who don't have the newspaper version, so it's cool for them. I may well pick up the Vinyl release when it comes off the back of Wilson's work.

18. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

How much in advance was it announced that the mastering on the 45th Aqualung would be different? Since the artwork was done new, they were able to put the line "mixed and mastered by Steven Wilson" on the front.

Since this is advertised as a reprint, even if they did amend the packaging to signify this somehow, or to move the Chrysalis logo, it probably wouldn't show up correctly in a lot of stores still displaying the old packshots and covers.

19. tootull

Adapted Aqualung. I had different mastering versions to listen to early on. All good after Mew.

JulesRules and Galeans like this.
  20. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

It was a missed opportunity, not to say shame, that the booklet of the 45th Acualung edition was not updated in the respect that IA provides comments to ALL tracks, like it is standard for all other editions ...

JulesRules likes this.
  21. Z eb

Z eb Forum Resident

<seems im the only one who had zero problems with the 2cd edition of Aqualaung, Remixed by Steve Wilson, Mastered by Mew

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's not a bad as his mastering for TAAB, but still, it is not optimal...

Shvartze Shabbos and tootull like this.
  23. tootull

Enjoy. :)
    Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink - Deluxe Edition remixed by Steven Wilson
    2011 Steven Wilson - About the Aqualung remix, this was all done at 96K and in particular the new stereo mix is something that I'm very proud of, since the recording was not done under the best circumstances (though what's on tape is better than the original mix would suggest). Having failed to get EMI to go Blu-Ray on this (which is the high res audio format I'm moving to for a forthcoming solo record), I'm still urging them to at least do a DVDA. The problem with the major labels is that although there are genuine music lovers still in these companies, they are beholden to the accountants who run things. This was not an issue with Crimson reissues because Robert owns all the copyrights, so we could do what we wanted with them. I'm going to pursue the idea of somehow trying to make the high res formats available if the companies won't do it, but don't hold your breath - there's a lot of bureaucracy involved.

24. tootull

Truth - Yeah

Plan9 likes this.
  25. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

FVDnz, Old Fred, Bonddm and 2 others like this.