Joni Mitchell ‘Asylum Albums (1972-1975)’ Box Set Due 9/23/22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Jul 28, 2022.

1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

So I have the last EU pressing of Court and Spark (not done by CB), and now the version in the Asylum box.

(1) The sleeves on the new version are vastly superior. The colors are more vibrant and faithful, the raised lettering a nice touch. No complaints.
    (2) The new mastering is better, clearer, more dynamic, more air. Definitely an improvement.
    (3) The new pressing... well this is where things fall a bit flat. The new one is much noisier. General background noise is higher, more pops/clicks, and I had some annoying non-fill during some of Joni's piano playing. Disappointing.

So, I am let down by the pressing.

Co-incidentally, I had an Optimal pressing of a Blue Note Classic arrive today and it was noisy too.

Sigh.

I have better luck with RTI, wish they had done this one.

Will see what the rest sounds like and whether I need to do a return.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    sonofjim likes this.
  2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

That doesn't seem optimal... ;)

CBackley likes this.
  3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I just bought this box set --- definitely looking forward to digging into it.

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Here are some samples (I picked a quiet song for comparison):

Down to You, from the new box (pops/clicks and non-fill):

joni-new.flac

Down to You, 2013 EU pressing (some tape hiss preserved? But less pressing artifacts) :

Joni-old.flac

The background sound signatures are quite different.

I like the new LP but it's definitely noisier for me. Non-fill - yuck!

5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

On the official site ie the euro store for me absolutely no mention of the fabled AAA. Limited to 20,000 on 180gm vinyl recently remastered by Bernie Grundman.

https://eurostore.jonimitchell.com/uk/the-asylum-albums-1972-1975-5lp-202.html

I along with the old cds and the DCC cd and a UK 70s vinyl have the below Rhino vinyl from 2011
    I recall it sounded fine and the cover was a nice replica.

Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark
    I have the 24/192 flac of the box and wonder what folk think of this download. I have not yet played it on my hi fi system just bits in the car on the way to coffee.

6. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

If the CD boxset says "remastered by Bernie Grundman" (it does) do you really believe that they set up two completely separate mastering chains from master tape to final product and basically remastered twice instead of only once? Please!! Sometimes I really think the people with a fixation for vinyl live in a fantasy world.

SRC, SuahuaB and rod like this.
  7. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

Perhaps somewhat shameful to admit at 47 years old; but as someone who has never heard these albums before, this boxed set is a revelation.

8. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

It's never shameful to discover new music, no matter how old you are.

9. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

The 24/192 download sounds fantastic. upthread I posted DR values if you want to see details, but it has an overall DR of 12.

Craig and Flaming Torch like this.
  10. djwkyoto

djwkyoto Forum Resident

Thanks a lot for the information, I was getting ready to import the US CD-Box for the supposedly better sleeves, but now I know I can buy local.
    Shame though, would have been great to get tip-on jackets for the CDs!

DeRosa likes this.
  11. SuahuaB

SuahuaB terrorized by treble

That's the thing. Same thing as for the Steely Dan / Analogue Productions reissue program, where we have Grundman mastering, and both
    (1) an audiophile UHQR version and
    (2) a regular LP cut from "high-resolution digital files of Grundman’s new masters"
    are going to be released.
    So?...
    We're somehow led to think that (1) is going to be AAA, but they're not actually saying that, nor that the lacquers are being directly cut from the tapes.
    Unless, I'm not really an expert so it would be nice to hear from those more in the know, maybe while cutting the lacquers you can also have a secondary, digital, Hi-Res feed...?

12. Linky53

Linky53 Forum Resident

Anyone got the EU edition of this box. Do we have the same issues with the tightness of the sleeves and box plus the inferior jacket quality that made me source a US pressing. I want to dive in here, but am a little wary of repeat issues and would rather wait until I find out If the EU or US is best.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  13. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

I'm not aware of any issues with the EU Version. I got my CD box from Amazon UK and have to say it's fantastic. The sleeves appear to be exact replicas of the original vinyl sleeves and are excellent quality. Haven't listened to it yet but I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

14. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

as far as I’m led to believe all of these were manufactured in Germany i’m presuming that goes for the outer covers as well.

15. SuahuaB

SuahuaB terrorized by treble

Yes as posters above have amply clarified, there's only 1 version worldwide, pressed in Germany, by Optimal, and same plain, direct to board printed jackets for everybody; no tip-ons from now on from Ms. Mitchell
    :)

Flaming Torch likes this.
  16. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

The Asylum Albums box set is now streaming on Tidal. 50 songs.

It sounds excellent.

I have the original albums but may buy the box if the reviews of the sound/pressing quality of the LP reissues are positive.

17. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

Got my LP set yesterday from Amazon Canada. The jackets look fantastic. Just like the originals. I have already listened to For the Roses and Court and Spark.

Sherwood SST and DrJ like this.
  18. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

So how does this sound compared to the originals, folks?

audiomixer likes this.
  19. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Maybe people could simply listen to the music and see if they like it, without worrying about the process to press it on a record or a CD....

20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Great to hear this box isn't "just" for diehards and is bringing in new fans.

I envy you hearing this material for the first time!

I still remember my jaw dropping as I played Hejira, the first Joni album I ever picked up, in a used store back in med school. I mean yeah I'd heard "Big Yellow Taxi" and some of the tracks from "Blue" but had never listened to one of her album. That is still my favorite Joni albums, but the whole period from For the Roses through Don Juan's Reckless Daughter is one of my favorites by any artist in any genre. Just astonishingly great.

This new collection is a treasure for old and new fans alike, and the next 1 or 2 sets in the series (depending on how she parses things with this campaign) ought to be every bit as good.

21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Now that's just crazy talk... ;)

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Right I was immediately impressed with the precise reproduction of the For the Roses jacket which as those who have the original vinyl know is unconventional. Same with Miles of Aisles which I haven't played yet, just perused the jacket. A very detailed, loving approach. The outer box for the LPs is also sturdy/thick, and not too small for the jackets to fit comfortably.

SPARTACUS, 1@aTime and CBackley like this.
  23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I will freely admit that I thought my For the Roses was accidentally sealed on all sides. I couldn’t see any opening to get the record out. I need more sleep.

24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Is the 192 kHz download for sale anywhere? Qobuz seems to be selling only 96 kHz. HD Tracks says the album is not for sale.

25. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

Yes, whave to say that I don’t recall seeing a jacket made like For the Roses. I do have a few LP’s where itis like an envelope but not an envelope with a swinging inside gatefold part that is attached to the jacket. Pretty unique at least to me. Also never owned or heard For the Roses before. I don’t think I ever found a good used copy of it so it was one that was missing in my collection.

DrJ likes this.