Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Having a late Friday nite listening session with some lesser grade but great titles that I keep around for times like these. I want to upgrade all these OG mono records...but, I fear,easier said than done.

Jimmy Smith-Back At The Chicken Shack and Prayer Meetin'

and this one which I highly recommend as it really hit the spot tonite. Such a good, lively,swingin' vibe and clean, tight arrangements and playing by all. Jimmy Heath Sextet-The Thumper,Riverside RLP 12-314 from 1960.

[​IMG]

Time to get weird with Hearts Of Space on local FM radio...nighty night.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    bluemooze, Six String, Stu02 and 5 others like this.
  3. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I love the bass, and with what started as an innocent and unknowledgeable question regarding why Ron Carter never became a ‘leader,’ I have throughly enjoyed and learned from so many comments regarding bass leaders the past few days. The insights and thoughts of so many on this thread are what make this forum so invaluable to my musical life. Thanks y’all!

4. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Eliane Elias: Something For You

[​IMG]

caupina, markp, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  5. My own experience is you can find very interesting topics all over the place in SHF's. I am active in about 20 different threads. Some have good traffic as this one here and some are going slow (as the big band topics). My own West Coast thread is going sufficiently and you are invited. First of all you should have a look"over the rim of your plate". At least I have met some friendly and nice people here but also the opposite. Thats the real life. Keep your mind open. Every coin has 2 sides. best
    W.

6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Jazz visuals fun-time quiz

On his sleeve for “Brown Rice”, what is Don standing in front of? And name another jazz cover that features it, for extra credit.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, markp, xybert and 6 others like this.
  7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Agree, Early - Mid 90's Hip Hop was a life saver for me as a jazz fan with everybody I knew being into Grunge but Hip Hop was also considered ok where Jazz not so much with my 20-30 something fiends at the time. Hip Hop was a gateway for me to turn a few of my friends into jazz via Tribe, US3, Jazzmatazz etc. Also the Blue Note Breakbeat and Acid Jazz series was good timing.

Two friends came over who couldn't get why I was so into jazz and I put on Ease Back by Grant Green off of Moving On that just got rereleased on vinyl and they got it. There are still Jazz fans to this day.

8. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I use to play with someone who studied with Joe back in the 70's in San Francisco. Said he was the nicest guy. One lesson at his house something with the lesson clicked for him and Joe said "you got it! keep practicing that until I come back to get you!" My friend was so into it he didn't realize that Joe went out for dinner with his wife until he came back.

9. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

The Watts Towers

Harold Land/ In the Land of Jazz also features the landmark.

10. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Great story. Joe’s nickname was the Phantom because he would slip out of crowded rooms without people noticing.

Crazysteve, alarickc and Yesternow like this.
  11. Berthold

Fats Navarro: The Fabulous #2

[​IMG]

12. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

My Funny Valentyne absolutely terrific! Chet's vocal is pure poetry. In several interviews, Pieranunzi recalls fondly this session with those giants!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    dennis the menace and Berthold like this.
  13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

From Original Albums Series by MJQ I'm listening to Pyramid.

A very good remastering. Astonished by the interplay of Lewis, Jackson and others.

14. Berthold

Fats Navarro on Savoy

[​IMG]

Mark J, vanhooserd, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  15. Berthold

Howard McGhee: Dusty Blue

[​IMG]

Erik B., Soulpope, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  16. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Roy Haynes Quartet - Out Of The Afternoon (Impulse!/Analogue Productions CIPJ-23 SA)

From the overlooked Category comes this beautiful Quartet session. Haynes` playing is amazing, so is Roland Kirk on reeds.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, xybert, Erik B. and 8 others like this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Have to agree, a great session. Didn't realize there was an SACD. . . but I'm good with my recent Japanese cd (which replaced the 20 bit US cd).

dennis the menace likes this.
  18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Berthold and Lonson like this.
  19. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Had to laugh, Roland Kirk even has his extra horns in the woods! If you come across a bobcat that stritch will come in handy.

Stu02, frightwigwam, lschwart and 2 others like this.
  20. Lonson

I bet that photo location is somewhere near Rudy's studio!

Dan Steele and dennis the menace like this.
  21. dennis the menace

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus (Atlantic - Passions Of A Man Box Set)

I`ve been playing A LOT of Mingus lately and I must say that this box set is probably my most prized possession at the moment. I`m amazed at the richness of Mingus`s music and the greatness of his playing.
    Pithecanthropus is where everything seemed to come together for Mingus. Essential music from an essential box set.
    [​IMG]

Mark J, Moebius, Erik B. and 10 others like this.
  22. dennis the menace

If you`re talking about the 2016 SHM-CD, I agree with you. It does sound very good.

Dan Steele and Lonson like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Carla Bley - Andando el Tiempo (ECM) vinyl version

I like that Roy Haynes album too and my memory tells me that 20bit cd is ok but no great shakes. Is the Japanese cd or SACD better and still available.

A friend brought me a package of Loroca flowers to make pupusas with so that's what I'll be doing for lunch today.

24. Lonson

I'm sure that sounds great. Mine was actually from 2015, "Low Priced Reissue" UCCU-99203.

dennis the menace likes this.
  25. Lonson

Les, the SHM-CD Dennis is talking about is still available via cdjapan --
    UCCU-5618

Mark E. Moon and Six String like this.