McIntosh LB200 Light Box: I’m seriously baffled

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ulises, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

Is it really out? Can you buy it? Or is it just a picture on their home page?

“junk” would indicate this doesn’t work and is only fit for the landfill. This is a matching glass and chassis for you McIntosh equipment that performs the function of hiding odd components or wires with a design Aesthetic of the brand. Likely to become a collectors item that increases in value.

I’m really not trying to be a contrarian, confrontational or in anyway advocate for this box. I will say the the torches and pitchforks for things because they are expensive feels more than a little hostile and classist. Some things are just expensive because people like the way it looks, because it’s exclusive and limited. Is it wrong to buy something and pay a lot for it because you like the way it looks? Does that make it junk?

I like McIntosh, I like their history, I like many of their products, I hope this historic American brand does well and continues into the future. Charging all they can get for their products is generally considered an appropriate business decision. The price point makes nothing junk. Also, if you ever have to contact McIntosh for a replacement glass for one of their amps, you’ll quickly realize the price for this box isn’t that far out of line.

but I’ll make this point for the third time and leave this alone, no one is buying it. That’s not the point and you can’t do it. Go to your local dealership and ask about it. Call ahead, make an appointment.

vwestlife likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You got that in one Carl...!

3. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Most of my favorite things are derided as kitsch.

4. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

It's now sold out but it's a real product.

My dealer has actually sold a few of the earlier LB-100 light boxes (same price) as well as four or five clocks.

5. Frank Bisby

Sure, I’m not suggesting it’s not real but unavailable means you can’t get it. It’s not like McIntosh ran out of glass or those chassis, it’s a limited thing for the dealer network. As much a promotional item or decoration as anything. Check out the prices of a an RCA nipper on EBay, the ones that are knee high go for close to $1,000.

I just don’t get the outrage.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No outrage. That's the common word people jump to whenever anyone disagrees about anything, now. This thread consists of people who are having a laugh at a silly overpriced product and others being a bit defensive that McIntosh is being made fun for it. No outrage on either side that I can see.

7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I am outraged!:biglaugh:

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Frank Bisby

Outraged may be a strong word on my part but this is a thread with very strong negative options and insults, almost exclusively. Personally, I wouldn’t be given to such strong criticism if I was indifferent. You said you were baffled, I attempted to explain from the perspective of a dealer and their customer base. I it’s starting to feel a bit hostile for having that point of view. Perhaps I was out of line for derailing the fun that is saying how baffling this product is. I apologize, enjoy.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Please quote whom you're responding to. Who are you writing this to? Me? I didn't write that I was baffled; the OP did.

As for the strong opinions, I guess that's relative but insults? Nah. I see some posturing a bit but nothing that I'd consider outright insulting, IMHO.

No need to apologize for posting your own opinion. It's a public msg board and all opinions should be freely discussed. :)

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just out of curiosity, does it contain shielding? If so, it might actually serve a useful purpose of preventing, say, a cable box tucked away inside from inducing noise in an adjacent amp.

11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

If it's a metal box it will provide shielding. Any metal connection on the box can have a ground cable to earth it to an amp.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.