Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

13 ( 2010) film, yeah that's excellent ( tad morbid) why does Sam Riley (13), buy the soft toy, before he boards the train?

Brenald79 likes this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

For his sister’s bday according to the wiki plot summary.

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

Ah!
    Assuming he didn’t die ( highly unlikely:))...but a 13 part 2 would be interesting.

Brenald79 likes this.
  4. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

I like this movie too, but wouldn't call it "awful"; in fact, I chose it over the apparently more highly regarded Idiocracy for 2006 per another thread here:
    One Film Per Year, Any Year!!!!

Some more flicks I enjoy that tend to be less than critically acclaimed:

Popeye - I agree with the above comments regarding this one, and would add that Shelley Duvall was born to play Olive Oyl
    Dune - similarly, I find I watch this whenever it comes on TV, but only if it's the original theatrical cut, not the "Alan Smithee" one
    The Wiz - objectively awful (needed Bob Fosse methinks!), and really drags in places, but has great music, interesting sets, and a surrealistic disco vibe
    The Bluebird - Shirley Temple's "consolation" role after losing The Wizard of Oz; that "grandma and grandpa's graves" bit gets me every time
    Swamp Thing - Louis Jourdan was definitely slumming but having fun here, and Adrienne Barbeau was also good if overly channeling Sigourney Weaver
    Meet the Feebles - maybe it has a cult following, maybe not, but this early Peter Jackson spoof of the Muppets was not exactly kid-friendly
    The Aristocats - made during Disney's "dark ages"; this was a bit too much like Lady and the Tramp meets Gay Purr-ee, but I sorta dig it
    The Star Wars Holiday Special - not a "movie" per se, and "love" is perhaps a little (well, actually a lot!) strong, but it's a train wreck you can't quite ignore

usrlocal likes this.
  5. usrlocal

usrlocal Nice and Smooth

Maybe not a movie, per se, but a particular version of a movie:

I really prefer the theatrical cut of 'Blade Runner', especially for the voice-over.

I've come to learn that Harrison Ford's voice-over is almost universally hated (even by Harrison Ford).

Karnak likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

IIRC, he didn't want to do the voiceover so he half-assed it. He gave a performance he thought was so flat and disinterested that they wouldn't use it.

But they did!

usrlocal likes this.
  7. usrlocal

usrlocal Nice and Smooth

Yeah, I thought that was pretty hilarious.

Thing is, ironically his half-assed delivery has a very laconic and noir-ish feel that, IMHO, perfectly fits the mood of the film.

Karnak likes this.
  8. John54

John54 Senior Member

Anyone else like The Court Jester, with Danny Kaye and Glynis Johns?

Very funny!

Jazzmonkie and usrlocal like this.
  9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Inland Empire - Even by David Lynch standards this one's a mind-expletive. The few people I've talked to who saw it, and who ordinarily like Lynch, said it went too far. I've seen it maybe a half dozen times and still couldn't tell you what it's about, but it's bizarre and beautiful.

johnnyyen and usrlocal like this.
  10. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Only The Lonely - John Candy... probably not well liked since it has Candy is a different role than usual... one with a more romantic lead... it has a modern feel of the classic film Marty, which I also love. Plus, am always a John Candy fan.

Better Off Dead - John Cusack... 80s humor at its best! You'll either find it hilarious or hate it.

Long Kiss Goodnight - Geena Davis... many point to another unrealistic 90s action movie with little substance...

While You Were Sleeping - Sandra Bullock... not many guys like a 90s rom-com, but I always loved this one

The Terminal - Tom Hanks... many I know hated this movie, but I loved it. Most I know stated they were bored to death, but I found the story charming and highly entertaining. The movie doesn't really have a true plot, but rather tells a story, which I love.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    efraley likes this.
  11. alexpop

Music Of Chance
    Seen it in 1993 thought it was very interesting, liked the cast.

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

For years, the student newspaper at my college rated EVERYTHING with Vanilla Ice heads: movies, music, takeout food. Because nothing is cooler than Ice!

When is the Criterion Collection Blu-ray with learned commentary coming out?

13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

My wife gets really angry if I want to watch the Spice Girls movie which every so often I do. She says it's the stupidest piece of %$#@ ever made.

14. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

John Carter
    Welcome to Marwen
    Matrix II & III
    Savage Beach
    Day of the Animals
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me
    Donovan's Reef
    Speed Racer
    Suicide Squad
    Ghost in the Shell

15. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

I thought it was well-regarded. I personally think it's the very pinnacle of the rom-com genre. It's a better film IMO than When Harry Met Sally, the film most people consider to be the Citizen Kane of rom-coms. While You Were Sleeping is a great film.

16. Gord D

Gord D Forum Resident

Battlefield Earth

hi_watt likes this.
  17. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Just plain “liking” the Star Wars Holiday Special is like saying you like to wear burlap underwear IMHO.

hi_watt likes this.
  18. Fastnbulbous

Barry Lyndon - one of the most beautiful movies ever made, but even Kubrick fans are lukewarm.

johnod and Borgia like this.
  19. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Rustler's Rhapsody -- Andy Griffith as the nasty villain

SRC likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm not a big Stan fan but I like that one! Not my fave - that'd be "Clockwork" - but I think "Lyndon" is pretty good!

21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think long kiss is fantastic, kind of a sleeper in the action genre, while you were sleeping is pretty well liked

22. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

While You Were Sleeping is definitely pretty well liked, but didn't think by guys my age, at least that I know of (as I prefaced in my post). Great movie nonetheless. One of the best 90's Romcoms.

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I like it, I think its the one that cemented Sandra as 'the girl next door' star

24. Fastnbulbous

Any movie will seem tame compared to ACO, but in fact Barry and Alex aren't so different; they're both amoral rakes, but the latter is the more interesting sociopath.

25. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    :love::p:winkgrin::angel::nyah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.