Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Tarantino's response to Once Upon A Time... winning Best Picture on Critics' Choice Award, to paraphrase: "I usually disagree with the critics but I'm with them on this one..." :laugh:

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The more that one knows about the Manson family and the Tate murders (as well as the TV/movie industry in the '60s),
    the more one can understand and fully appreciate the rather unique qualities of this film. Folks coming into it 'cold' probably
    would relate more to something built around more traditional 'action movie' themes and established Tarantino cliches.

timind and Mazzy like this.
  3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

4. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

That's great. Hope Leo goes for it.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  5. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Once Upon A Time In,...Hollywood got 10 Academy Award nominations
    BEST PICTURE
    DIRECTOR
    ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    PRODUCTION DESIGN
    CINEMATOGRAPHY
    COSTUME DESIGN
    SOUND EDITING
    SOUND MIXING

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"That sounds about right"

SunSon likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Simon A and Dudley Morris like this.
  8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I finally bought this movie on 4K disc. What a waste of $30. I can't believe this film is in contention for any awards outside of best actors. Leo put in one of his best performances and the cast was good but the movie itself was a snoozefest. It just moved along waaaaay too slowly. I admit there were some really great scenes but it was moments of brilliance separated by excruciating boredom. The last half hour was great but I almost didn't make it that far.

I am a big fan of Tarantino but this was so poorly paced and edited. Too many things happening that had no bearing on the plot and were just boring. Did I mention it was boring?

Having said that I loved a lot of the scenes, especially the ones with Sharon Tate watching The Wrecking Crew. If Tarantino put as much effort into the writing and editing as he did in capturing the feel of the time period, this could have been great.

It seems my wife and I are the only ones who feel this way, which has me really confused.

JerolW likes this.
  9. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

It seems my wife and I are the only ones who feel this way, which has me really confused.

You're not the only ones.

I and my wife agree with your view..

jerol

10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I can’t believe you spent $30 to buy a copy of a film you hadn’t seen! You can rent this for $5 on amazon. Try before you buy!

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

4K anticlimactic view?

C’mon it’s pretty good.
    I enjoyed it cause I’m a old wrinkly who loves the swinging sixties. Fabulous period recreation.

If someone’s a teenager or in their twenties I can imagine the movie being slow, probably don’t like soundtrack either.

timind likes this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

My daughters (both early 30s) were over and watched it. Neither of them thought it was all that good. I loved it.

Lightworker and alexpop like this.
  13. alexpop

Friend of mine seen it ( younger ) liked it, but prefer Pulp Fiction. :shrug:

Think the problem maybe is there was no strong female lead, just a airhead and a bunch of groupies.

timind likes this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

even if I point out more of the film's narrative and thematic integrity, I doubt that's gonna make anyone like it ( or like it more. Or less) But I do have reiterate its not just a rudderless daydream, and is as carefully conceived as any of Tarantino's films

Unsure how all this planning and structure might hold up in a 4 hour version. Brought to you by Red Apple Fried Sauerkraut.

Dinstun and Lightworker like this.
  15. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I love pretty much everything about this movie. Watched it about ten times already. :)

Simon A, willy, MekkaGodzilla and 3 others like this.
  16. alexpop

Twice in cinema.
    Bought steelbook!
    Hey! I support the industry.

willy and Lightworker like this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

See post #2577 for a possible explanation.

timind likes this.
  18. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Yep at least 10 times for me. It's cool to have my friends Rick, Cliff and Sharon to hang out with.

19. Raylinds

It has nothing to do with themes or narrative it is about the really poor pacing and slow movement and scenes being much longer than they need to be. The scene at the ranch was two times as long as it needed to be to get its point across.

20. Raylinds

And if I liked it and wanted to purchase it I would have wasted $5. I loved every other Tarantino movie and I love the sixties, and the cast and all of my friends said I would love it, so it didn't seem to be a big risk. I just can't believe that the same person behind Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs could put out this coma inducing work.

Don't get me wrong, I loved everything about it but the pacing, but that was bad enough to ruin it for me. Although on the plus side, if I ever get a bout of insomnia, I have the cure.

21. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I don't see why people can't enjoy a movie that takes its time. No love for Michelangelo Antonioni?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. I thought the long slow scene at Spahn Ranch was perfect. Very tense

23. alexpop

An anticlimactic punch. :agree:

24. alexpop

Zabriskie Point ?
    Authentic hippie chicks.