Paul McCartney - Egypt Station US Chart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beaneydave, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The link I have is Billboard Canada...so same as US. Nothing yet.

2. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

LAST week's chart. Still not updated. Patience...

3. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

They must be doing a recount. Hanging chads and such.

4. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

It's Sunday. The Billboard 200 is being published every Tuesday, but the sales are being counted from Friday to Thursday. So the chart you're now looking at is the one counted over 31 August through 6 September. 'Egypt Station' came out on 7 September. Radio airplay is being tracked on a Monday to Sunday cycle, btw.

But it's 2018, and everything is scanned digitally, so the final figures are in from Friday midnight on. Hits Daily Double always knows those figures, and published the final Billboard chart on Friday, this is 2 full days ago now... HITS Daily Double : Rumor Mill - CHART STORY: ONE NATION UNDER STATION These are projections based on data from a limited number of the retailers who share point of sale information with Billboard's charts source, Nielsen SoundScan.

And Billboard themselves quote Hits Daily Double, because they know how accurate it is, but can't publish it themselves yet: Paul McCartney's 'Egypt Station' Set for No. 1 Debut on Billboard 200 Chart

So in the past 48 hours there's nothing to wait for any more. But the official Billboard chart will only be here 2 days from now.

Mr. Explorer, theMess and Zeki like this.
  5. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Yes, we can do it! Yeah, we can do it now!
    (4:41)

:)

6. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

Patience? PATIENCE???? This is 2018! There's no PATIENCE!!! ;)

7. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

I purchased 32 copies. But forgot to take the poll (I just did).

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Patience!! We want to know! Tell Billboard to DO IT NOW!

theMess, Bruce M., omikron and 2 others like this.
  9. scoostraw

Well ??

angelees and omikron like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

I think the people at Billboard opened up the beverages first and forgot to post the chart article.

;)

I just realized that Billboard is likely based in Los Angeles. So maybe that 3 PM time mentioned earlier is really PACIFIC USA time.

11. scoostraw

Do we have last week's Sunday article ?

12. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

Well well well well

DO YOU LOVE ME LIKE YOU KNOW YOU OUGHT TO DO?!

13. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Actually, the Billboard article you link to specifically states, "the Sept. 22-dated Billboard 200 chart (where Egypt Station may bow at No. 1) is scheduled to be revealed on Billboard’s websites on Sunday, Sept. 16." That's today.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Lets kill time by shutting off the lights and calling out "Egypt Station" song titles.

"PEOPLE WANT PEACE!"

"DESPITE REPEATED WARNINGS!"

"THE REAL SLIM SHADY!"

"Not funny, Lennon!'

15. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Beverages and other assorted pleasures. ;):D:p

Sunday funday. :D

Mr. Explorer and planckera like this.
  16. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Why oh why can't you quote from locked threads. And why was that thread locked anyway. And again without any explanation. And we just go on anyway in this thread, so that action was pointless.

In reaction to this post by @The Band : Paul McCartney - Egypt Station appreciation thread

Huh? I’m pretty forgiving for McCartney vocals in this time and age. It’s not without reason I go seem him throughout the whole world whenever I’m able to.

But how are we hearing different performances? My criticism on the Van Halen ‘Jump’ My First MIDI plastic horns? You don’t hear McCartney struggling in a hoarse almost unrecognisable voice through the verses of ‘Got To Get You Into My Life’? Every “theeeeere” being fully done by Abe Jr., with McCartney's voice simply cutting out from “the-” on, him couching out the words “another road”, him again not getting further than “another kind of mind th-“.

Then, being completely ghosted during every pre-chorus, with McCartney struggling through the lines, barely in the mix. Two times “youuuuu” the verse after being a soft, powerless half second long wobbly “you-u-u-”, again completely covered by Abe Jr. And this has been pitch corrected...

If you think I might be exaggerating about the "ghosting", check this video from 0:39 on (why oh why does time notation not work and everything is automatically embedded sigh):

And this was during a fine vocal tour leg, already 3 years ago, and his live vocals got even worse since. For example 'Jet' wasn't that bad that year yet (at recordings of Tokyo anyway), but when I saw the full Australian tour last December (he played 'Jet' 3 out of 6 shows then), the bridges were being sung by Abe Jr., with McCartney even squeezing the "little LADY"'s out as a thin high note.

It’s depressing, but he just can’t sing those particular songs any more. 10 years ago I was banging on about how he should sing this and that solo song, but I'm not any more, because it's too late. That ship has sailed. People will see this as me knocking, but this is in reaction to the user not hearing this on the Spotify release, which does absolutely nothing to attract the general audience. There's a lot he can still sing, especially the acoustic songs are revealing a beautiful poignant layer with his voice in its autumn.

evilpants and Mr. Explorer like this.
  17. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

18. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is it sad that I’m sitting at home checking this thread all night?

peace and love✌Dave

Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  19. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

:tsk: Remember the Happy With You lyrics. ;)

20. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Lol. I mean them at Billboard. Not myself. ;)

Mr. Explorer and planckera like this.
  21. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

I'd like to appreciate the album some more while we wait. Hoping that thread can be re-open.

22. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Haha, then I give up! I guess it will be dated Tuesday (18 September) then, published on Sunday? Wait, it says it's dated on September 22. Hm, this is what Billboard themselves say:

"[..] All charts will be refreshed each Tuesday morning on Billboard.com [..]. Charts that go live on Tuesday, July 14 [2015] will be dated July 25." (Billboard to Alter Chart Tracking Week for Global Release Date )

23. scoostraw

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.....................

angelees likes this.
  24. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

ME TOO ! When the thread was closed, I was just writing this post in response to comments by @Cal Cypher and @Mr. Explorer about Paul's voice becoming younger as 'Despite Repeated Warnings' went on. So allow me to post it here, as a continuation of a previous discussion…

As you've noted, @Cal Cypher, the song starts with the weird metallic effect on the old Macca voice. Then, with each subsequent part, it gets clearer and clearer, higher and higher, Pauler and Pauler, until the culminating « so we went to the Captain / will of the people » conclusion where he sounds like ‘London Town’ McCartney all over again. This is clearly a conscious conceptual build up from a desperate situation to a more hopeful one, the new hope being symbolized by the rebirth of that vintage voice that we all know so well. At the same time, it’s an implicit recognition by Paul himself that his voice changed dramatically in recent years and that he knows EXACTLY what his voice means to us fans, and to the public in general. It’s the best moment on the album for me, and one of the greatest McCartney moves ever, because he uses himself and his own impact on collective consciousness to get his point across.
    (how he managed to do it is another question all together)

25. Arnold Grove

As posted earlier:
    Usually Billboard announces the new #1 album via a "Chart Beat" article. Last week's "Chart Beat" article regarding the Top 200 chart winner (which was Eminem last week) was put online at about 3 PM (probably Pacific Time) on last Sunday. But the exact time may vary from week to week. I'm not a regular follower of Billboard, so I have no idea.

The next actual Top 200 chart itself will not be displayed until later this week --- Tuesday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.