Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

This relatively stripped-down version is so, so superior to the released version on P2P it makes me want to scream. This is a nice little song, but the overbearing arrangement on the album just stomps it to death. One critic reviewing the album called it a "slog through Manilowland," and that's about right. Paul had some severe lapses of taste during this period, alas. But at least we have this video to show us what Only Love Remains might have been.

The MEZ, Who Cares and omikron like this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

One mans joy is another mans pain
    :)

3. Bemagnus

Next one

Press

This is a song I truly and unresevedely like. This time it s a terrific pop-song filled with hooks and a nice vocal-perfomance. The production-for once-on this album doesn t stand away from the song. This time I think the eightieproduction suits the tune. In fact I think this deserved to be a bit bigger hit even though Paul at the time was regarded as to old for that market. The video is fun to and the re-mastered version on Pure Mccartney sounds terrific

The one released track on this album I regard as Vintage McCartney.

A great pop-song

Song facts

From Wikipedia:

Press” is a song by Paul McCartney. It was released as a lead single from his sixth studio solo album, Press to Play, being McCartney’s 37th single. The single features the non-album track, “It’s Not True” as the B-side, which was also released as a bonus track on compact disc release of the album.

Background

Though hitting the Top 30 in both the US (number 21, for 8 weeks) and the UK (#25), “Press” marked the beginning of a downturn of McCartney’s fortunes on the singles charts, as it was the first time since Back to the Egg in 1979 that a lead single from a McCartney album failed to hit the Top 20 in the US/UK. This may have been because “Press” did not fit neatly into album-oriented rock or adult-contemporary radio formats popular at the time.

Release

Various issues in the UK include two 7″ singles (“Press” and “Press-video edit“), a 10″ single in a special fold-out sleeve and two 12” singles.

Promotional video

The 1986 music video for Press was shot entirely in the London Underground. Paul McCartney sings the song as he takes the Tube from South Kensington to Piccadilly Circus. As he takes the escalator to the platform and boards a Tube train, he begins singing the track. The video continues with scenes from around the Underground. These include shots of various commuters and buskers, featuring an accordionist and a violinist. McCartney interacts with members of the general public aboard the train and in the station, signing autographs, accepting a kiss from a female fan and leaving a tip for the violinist. In the final shot, he is seen riding the escalator up out of the Underground.

Critical reception

Writing for AllMusic, critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine stated that the track “is a terrific mid-’80s drum machine-driven slice of synth-pop, utterly featherweight in the best possible way.” and writing for Los Angeles Times, critic Terry Atkinson stated that the track “is a sprightly, sunny delight–one of the most playful, positive pop songs ever written about the joy of sex and its link with love.

From “Club Sandwich 42 – Autumn 1986“:

I actually played the guitar solo… Carlos played arpeggio guitar…which really pulled the track together… ‘Oklahoma was never like this’. That can mean whatever you want it to mean… It’s a symbol for the provinces, the sticks, the out of the way places. The line just wouldn’t change“. The other lyrics include a subtle update of Gary Glitter’s ‘Do You Wanna Touch Me‘ (‘Right there, that’s it. Yes.‘)”, the music is entirely infectious and there’s a good, unpretentious video to boot.

Club Sandwich No 42 Autumn 1986

Lyrics

Darling, I love you very, very, very much,
    And I really am relying on your touch.
    But with all these people listening in,
    I don't know where I ought to begin.
    Maybe we could hit upon a word,
    Something that the others haven't heard,
    When you want me to love you,
    Just tell me to press.

Right there, that's it. Yes. When you feel the stress,
    Don't just stand there, tell me to press.

You can give me what I want I must confess,
    My body needs attention my mind is in a mess,
    Oklahoma was never like this.
    Never like this, it was never like this,
    Never like this, say was it ever like this?
    It was never like this…

Darling, I know it really wouldn't be a crime,
    If I say I want to love you all the time.
    Maybe we should have a secret code,
    Before we both get ready to explode.
    Just tell me to press. Press…

Right there, that's it. Yes.
    When you feel the stress,
    Don't just stand there.
    Won't you tell me to press?

https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjJx7jDxuTnAhXloosKHUwPBJUQyCkwAHoECBAQBQ&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLY7savlKTQ&usg=AOvVaw2O3HtuxCCf-sL0XHDdCqud

4. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Yes, I would probably prefer a simpler, "stripped-down" version of Only Love Remains (just as I much prefer The Long and Winding Road without the Spector additions). However, the released version is still very good and would probably be deemed a Beatles classic had it been released in 1969 - maybe with slightly more subtle George M orchestration).

On a more psoitive note, the opening lines of the song are just another example of Macca's melodic genius, which draws me immediately into the song (in a similar way to Tug of War, Pipes of Peace and No More Lonely Nights) even if the rest of the song doesn't quite live up to that early promise.

Overall, it's one of the better songs on PtP, so I'll give it 3.5/5.

Although PtP and Macca 2 are both (for Paul at least) quite experimental, I think a key difference is that on Macca 2, he sounds like the playful Paul of the 70s, whereas PtP sounds more serious, forced and as others have said, a little less personal. Maybe this is because of all the production / over-production. Maybe, following the trashing of Broad Street, he wasn't sure how best to proceed, so he threw everything at these songs, rather than keeping some of the arrangements, at least, a little simpler. Perhaps the key difference is that Macca 2 is almost 100% him, whereas PtP has many other folk on board.

Whatever, it's still an enjoyable, if lesser, album and it would be dull if all his albums sounded the same. :agree:

5. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Back in 1986, the 20-year-old Beatles-worshipping me viewed the video as cringe worthy. Paul appeared old and out-of-touch compared to the younger groups then dominating the charts. Mid-40s did seem very old at that time. It seems much less so now, when we're all older and much more used to the idea of old rock and pop stars.

Also, coming after the (brilliant but made-for-children) Frog Chorus and the Spies Like US, it didn't help his credibility with us (then) youngsters.

Watching it now, it's a fun period-piece - what with the hair and clothes - and it's interesting to note that his hair was just starting to go grey!

The song itself is jaunty, fun and pretty lightweight but enjoyable. So, I'll give it a high 3/5. :agree:

Piiijiii, Who Cares, Big Pasi and 2 others like this.
  6. Bemagnus

I think there is a Long and Winding road between Only Love Remains and ehhhh....
    Long and Winding Road

gja586 likes this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Press 9.5/10
    Darlin', I like it very very very much!

If he sang Liverpool instead of Oklahoma, I would have given it a 10/10.

JDeanB, Who Cares and omikron like this.
  8. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Press might be the song I like least of this album.
    Stupid melody, look-at-me-I-am-single-production.
    Same thing with No more lonley nights.

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

' No More Lonely Nights ' has a grandeur about it at least...

Guy Smiley, Ken Wood and Who Cares like this.
  10. Dr. Pepper

You know I've been thinking about how I rank this album and the songs on it. I think one of the reasons I rate them so highly is there consistency and just overall vibe of the album.

I mean none of the songs are of the level of say Silly Love Songs or even Let Em In. Press for instance is probably more on the level of Ever-Present Past, but I still love both of them for what they are!

Who Cares and omikron like this.
  11. Dr. Pepper

And many think Press has a pile of manure around it.

12. Bemagnus

As you know I have lot s of respect for your good taste and exqusite playlists. Given that track-record I can overlook the temporary lack of judgement that shows in the praises you give some of these songs.
    :):)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  13. Mark Fricke

Mark Fricke Forum Resident

My favorite part of the Press video is the guy asking McCartney for directions, oblivious to who it was he was talking to.

That and the guy whispering "he was a Beatle"

coco77, omikron and Who Cares like this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

Hmmm...I like how grandeur and manure rhyme. Macca could use a verse with that rhyme. Maybe I'll write one for him.

Guy Smiley and Dr. Pepper like this.
  15. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Just was listening to the podcast @kaztor posted, even John Landis the 'Spies Like Us' director said the song was awful but Paul was insistent and excited about it so he released it. He was the one who switched around the chorus to be first when it was in the movie. So we have another movie song that wasn't really appreciated along with "Did We Meet Somewhere Before?" and "Twice In A Lifetime".
    John Landis on Paul McCartney's "Spies Like Us" Theme Song
    I never knew this had a video. I enjoyed seeing him perform this one. I like the pre-teen kid playing sax on stage - McCartney gives him a lot of the spotlight. I have the video collection - I always wanted all the videos instead of the DVD with the live stuff on it. These videos left out need a facelift - they're older looking just like a lot of non-HD stuff.

16. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

We're in a complicated section in his discography where we have a bunch of stray tracks, unreleased tracks, a rock n' roll cover album, B-sides, remixes live tracks as B-sides. I'm glad I'm not running the thread right now. I would like to know how we're going to do all this stuff. A lot of extras from this period, 'Dirt' and 'Ground'.
    Been listening to some of these podcasts, thanks for posting them. I've only recently started listening to podcasts on a semi-regular basis. I like the two guys that do them and it sounds very professional with music clips from the album, demos and other music from people involved with the album. I'm listening now to the 'Press to Play' podcast, and they took 30 minutes just to get to the first song. They play a little too much music from other acts from the era but they know how to create context.

17. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Only Love Remains: 5/5

The pinnacle of Paul’s 80s ballads. I say 80s ballads meaning there’s a particular style and sound to his ballads around this time (Twice In A Lifetime, Through Our Love, etc). The sound isn’t too heavy-handed here thankfully. Although the remix adds a bit too much I think. Paul manages to belt out some powerful vocals near the end and continue to have a smooth-as-glass voice. Good work.

Press: 5/5

Press is still catchy and fresh and to this day doesn't really sound like anything else he's done and not much like anything anyone else has done either. This song is clearly the pop-friendly radio track on the album. If he had led with this song as the first single on both sides of the pond, maybe people would have paid more attention. Like a few of the other songs, time was taken to create and lay down an aural rhythm bed for the song, this time with a breathy voice over some syncopated beats. Melodically the song is one of Paul’s best.

Lyrically I think is where people get hung up but frankly I don’t care at all. There’s apparently a Club Sandwich article that explains the line "Oklahoma was never like this" refers to the musical Oklahoma!, with the idea that Paul is contrasting the difficulties of his and Linda's marriage with the relationships presented in the musical.* So really the lyrics are quite deep if dealing with some Paul/Linda marital issues.

* Paul McCartney’s Lyrics-what happened?

18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Press

Great pop song with a fantastic performance, strong vocals, nice harmonies and melody. Oklahoma was never like this is one of the most cleaver lyrics by Paul. All the listeners like or dislike that line but at the end stays in their minds forever... Bravo!!!

Lyrics:

Darling, I love you very, very, very much,
    And I really am relying on your touch.
    Maybe we could hit upon a word,
    Something that the others haven't heard,
    Just tell me to press.

Right there, that's it. Yes. When you feel the stress,
    Don't just stand there, tell me to press.

You can give me what I want I must confess,
    My body needs attention my mind is in a mess,
    Never like this, it was never like this,
    Never like this, say was it ever like this?
    It was never like this…

Darling, I know it really wouldn't be a crime,
    If I say I want to love you all the time.
    Maybe we should have a secret code,
    Before we both get ready to explode.
    Just tell me to press. Press…

Right there, that's it. Yes.
    When you feel the stress,
    Don't just stand there.
    Won't you tell me to press?

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney and Hugh Padgham
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals, Electric Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals by Paul McCartney
    Backing Vocals by Linda McCartney
    Backing Vocals by Eric Stewart
    Drums by Jerry Marotta
    Electric Guitar by Carlos Alomar
    Engineer, Mixing: Hugh Padgham
    Label: Parlophone
    Release Date: September 1, 1986
    Recorded at Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Length: 4:43 minutes

Paul's own words:

Sound On Sound Magazine, October 1986:

"'Oklahoma was never like this'. That can mean whatever you want it to mean. To me, when you're writing songs, you often get a line you assume you're going to edit later, you're going to knock it out and put something sensible in. But every time I came to that line, I couldn't sing anything else - just the scanning, the way it sang. People would have understood it if it was 'Liverpool was never like this', but it wouldn't have sung the same. It's a symbol for the provinces, the sticks, the out of the way places. The line just wouldn't change, and when you meet such resistance from the lyrics themselves, you have to give in."

Promo Film:

Directed by Phil Davie:

omikron likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Well, this makes the song much deeper and more meaningful. 10/10 now. I love musicals and to have a Paul song refer to one in a meaningful way is just too cool. Thanks for sharing this info.

20. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Press...

In the studio:

omikron likes this.
  21. Bemagnus

Yeah -We are now reaching the part were it will be some difficulties to decide which songs should be discussed or excluded
    With a little help from all friends here it will work our fine

WilliamWes likes this.
  22. Wildest cat from montana

" Darling I love you very very very much "?
    Gack !
    Reminds me of Graham Nash's ' Our House' : " Our house is a very very very fine house "
    Gack!

Who Cares likes this.
  23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Footprints:
    This has a very sweet melody and I personally think it benefits from the production style which really makes it sounds lively. Also love the melancholic lyrics which remind me of Lonely Old People.

Only Love Remains:
    Another ballad, but it’s different enough not to disrupt the flow. It also should have been a much bigger single; I guess ignorance prevailed at the time after Broadstreet’s failure. It’s also here where the production really adds to it. Great stuff that should’ve been heard more!

The MEZ and omikron like this.
  24. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Press...

From Paul McCartney special:

omikron likes this.
  25. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Press...

In the studio:

omikron likes this.
Thread Status: