Phil Collins Album by Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 9, 2019.

1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

The only album that I really like is the first solo LP "Face Value" and I don't really care about the rest because his thin voice is too grating to my ears.

carlwm likes this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Respectfully, I think he is one of the most expressive singers in rock.

3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Expressive yes but his voice texture doesn't suite my taste.

carlwm likes this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

And that is entirely fair enough! :righton:

5. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

I think that his solo career actually enabled him to get better as a singer! When I listen to A Trick of the Tail or Wind and Wuthering, even if his drumming is frighteningly confident and technical throughout, when he sings he sounds far more timid than he does even on Duke. By the time we get to No Jacket Required and Invisible Touch he'd blossomed into a very powerful vocalist. His mid '80s music isn't for everyone, but I think he'd reached his peak as a frontman and a vocalist at that time.

6. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"Hand In Hand" I really really like this. The drumming is great, but I like the choir and the horns. It's a very positive, optimistic song with sophisticated rhythms. Just beautiful stuff.

7. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

:agree: His vocal confidence really started to grow once Genesis was just a trio. He was audibly trying too hard to sing like Peter Gabriel before 1977. ATTWT is a transitional album, from Duke onward he's turned into a very powerful vocalist in my opinion.

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Reference Guide

Who is the is Phil Collins guy?
    - Phil Collins Album by Album thread

February 9 1981
    Face Value
    Phil Collins Album by Album thread
    track 1 In The Air Tonight Phil Collins Album by Album thread
    track 2 This Must Be Love Phil Collins Album by Album thread
    track 3 Behind The Lines Phil Collins Album by Album thread
    track 4 The Roof Is Leaking Phil Collins Album by Album thread
    track 5 Droned Phil Collins Album by Album thread
    track 6 Hand In Hand Phil Collins Album by Album thread

9. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Hand In Hand- wow, dunno how Ive managed to completely overlook that track :whistle:
    Its actually quite good; buoyant, uplifting and propulsive. In stark contrast to the gloomy intensity of In The Air Tonight.

10. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

They also buried his vocal on those albums, until Abacab. The one good thing about the remixes is they brought it up so he didn’t sound quite so reserved (though still a little timid, as you said).

11. Figure of Eight

When I listen to his vocals on the title track of "Invisible Touch", it only serves to remind me of the level of talent Collins had. I mean, not content with having drumming chops that would make most envious, but also a hit songwriter and a singer who could hold his own on the world stage? I can't help but feel a lot of the criticism thrown at him has been borne out of jealousy and sour grapes, really. Collins has always struck me as being a likeable, straightforward, modest guy. I'd imagine he'd be a great laugh over a few beers.

12. mark winstanley

That's exactly how he comes across to me. Even in spite of his obvious mild introversion due to the assault he seemed to have to deal with when the media and public seemed to turn on him.

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Agreed!

14. Figure of Eight

An unecessary assault too, when you think about it. I mean, the guy is obviously a team player and has worked with so many different people and so many records other than his own. How many of those that have collaborated with him have said he's difficult to work with or an imposing personality? None, to my mind. He worked with John Martyn, who I can't imagine would be easy to get along with in the studio! If Collins had been a difficult character, there is no way those two would have been able to work with each other.

15. mark winstanley

Another point being, that if he was an a-hole, he wouldn't have been in such demand during that period of time. It's not like the sixties, when there were only a few folks capable of getting a sound or style you may want.

16. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Well said. I also think he was an easy target because of his looks, which speaks volumes of the superficiality of the general public.

17. mark winstanley

In hindsight, when you consider how superficial the eighties were, it is somewhat remarkable that this balding, short, chunky guy was possibly its biggest megastar

18. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I totally agree but I believe it also exasperated his backlash. His lack of perceived "cool factor". I hate it.

19. mark winstanley

Yea, the backlash is stupid, because you know some folks that are in that crowd loved him at the time, and most others are just bandwagoning. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but all he did was work hard (incredibly hard) doing the thing he loved and did a brilliant job of it.

20. Figure of Eight

Agreed, although I'd argue that Michael Jackson was the '80s biggest megastar. Still, Collins was, what, 34 years old when No Jacket Required came out and he'd already had quite a long career behind him even at that point, so yeah, definitely agree that it's remarkable that he was able to compete on the level of yer Michael Jackson's and Duran Duran's.

Sammy Banderas, Osato, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  21. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Word. I guess we’ll dig into this topic later in the thread.

22. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Jackson was bigger.
    But Collins was everywhere!

23. mark winstanley

Collins just about matched his sales figures. I mean Mccartney, Jackson, Collins, that's pretty formidable company

24. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Big Phil fan here, and I'm really enjoying this thread.
    :)

I started becoming aware of Phil Collins in the very early 80s, when 'Abacab' seemed to always be on the radio.
    Loved the 'cool sound' that had....I was ten or eleven at the time.
    Next came 'No Jacket Required' era, and all of those related songs that were played constantly seemingly everywhere.
    I was a teen and liked a lot of different kinds of music, but Phil's stuff was always a favorite.
    When his music videos would come up on tv, I would stop what I was doing and watch intently.

Then Genesis hit huge here in the U.S. with 'Invisible Touch' and I was hooked but good.
    Now I was a 'Genesis fan' and started exploring those guys...while being completely obsessed with the song and wacky music video that played endlessly on Mtv.
    The 12' version mix of that song is one of my all time favorite extended cuts.

Peter Gabriel also went 'mainstream' here in the U.S. in seemingly the same period and I was loving his stuff too from then.
    The stunning music videos were sucking me in, but the music stood on its own feet.
    All through high school while everyone else was banging their heads to 'hair metal' and the beginnings of rap, I was playing air drums to Phil Collins and geeking out with Peter Gabriel and 80s Genesis.
    Yeah, I was a total nerd....but dang, the music was good!

So yeah, me n' Phil go back some years.

I dig 'Face Value".
    I didn't pick up the album until about 1998 or so...when a local music shop was going out of business and they were practically giving away their stock of cassette tapes.
    Brand new in wrap, I think it was $3.
    I was inspired to pick it up after coming across a old VHS tape recording my Dad had made for me years ago of a early 80s solo concert by Phil and his band.
    Loved the show, and the songs were all mostly 'new' to me so decided I needed to get his earlier solo works.
    So 'Face Value" came home with me on tape one afternoon.

Couple of songs really stood out for me, besides the obvious ones.
    I'll talk more about them when we get to them here...but yes, I love 'In The Air Tonight'.
    It has great 'ambiance' and 'atmosphere'.
    That is something sorely lacking in today's music - the special unique 'feel' that the artist created in the recording by different means.
    The truly great songs all have it...hard to explain, but it's there.
    Just a great sound.

Bring on 'I Missed Again'!
    Love that , too.

:)

-

25. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

The Roof is Leaking / Droned / Hand and Hand:

I love these trio of songs. You have the simplicity of 'Roof' and the fusion of 'Droned' and 'Hand'. The latter two, reminds me of Brand X.