Poll: Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary vs 2016 BG Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dorian75, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Efus

Efus Senior Member

How do we know yours has?
    Can you prove that beyond your word?

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Mine has what? It probably isnt exactly like before, Im not in the camp who says 1 degree of SRA change makes a huge difference.

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

No blind testing. I did some needledrops and could hear the difference. But you think I'm full of crap because you didn't witness the blind test. There was more mid bass and quieter background. Slight treble roll off.

Are you questioning my ability to align my cartridge correctly?

Here's a challenge if you are so bold. Would you be willing to downgrade your table using the same cartridge and do blind tests for all of us? Here's one further... Why don't you swap out your table for the cheapest one you can find that is compatible with your cartridge and then tell us it sounds the same.

AnotherBoss likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

You said you didnt blind test, how could I witness it?

Its more than a simple matter of aligning. Do you use a microscope to set SRA and Azimuth?
    Furthermpre were the speeds of the tables identical? A slightly different speed can affect the pitch and sound also.

If I heard little to no difference going from my RP1 to the GR, I dont think a blind test would help much. But if youre asking if there is solid blind test evidence that shows no difference then I could point you to places like this thread:
    I think I'm going Mad! (turntables and cartridges) *

5. marblesmike

I quickly viewed that link and that page and I saw one guy hearing a difference and gravitating to one of his less expensive tables. So there's someone hearing a difference, even if it did no favors to the more expensive table. So you proved my point.

Now if you're arguing that a more expensive table might not be much of a sonic upgrade, it all depends. Depends on the cartridge and how it pairs with the tonearm, depends on table's suspension or plinth material, depends on its output design, etc.

As for myself, my system includes a computer so if the speed sounds off (I'm a musician and have near perfect pitch, so if something is audibly off, I can almost always tell), I can compare it to a digital file on my computer.

As for using a microscope, no I didn't, and I don't think that's a requirement. Again if one has a good ear they don't need to depend on minute measurements. My cart is very sensitive to all those factors so I really had to spend some time dialing it in the get the best sound. Would a microscope help? Sure but I don't think it's necessary when comparing one table to another.

6. Leonthepro

Read further, the reason I linked the thread was not to prove your point. He blind tests himself and is unable to consistently tell them apart.

My point with the microscope was just that if you think the cart is very sensitive, the differences you hear may be because of slight installation differences, no?

7. marblesmike

I don't think the timbre present from a full suspension Thorens table can be explained away as minor cartridge adjustments. Thorens tables have a unique sound signature. All that affects the tonearm and resonance.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

8. Leonthepro

I take it you wont read further.

9. marblesmike

I read the rest of it. One person not able to hear a difference really isn't going to change my opinion, that's just anecdoteal. All you were able to do was pick through a thread and find one support for your argument.

Do you think our host here would agree with your statement? Why not just buy a Crosley? Is there no point in ever upgrading your tonearm or any component of your table. I just don't get it. So I'm agreeing to disagree.

I wish more people these days would be able to do that.

To steer this thread back on topic, what's your favorite DSOTM pressing?

Kamaaina1 likes this.
  10. Leonthepro

Its a hard pick. The UK is likely the overall best, but I really like the MFSLs side 2 and Pro Use side 1.

On the contrary. The person strongly believed they heard a difference, just like many here do, thats anecdotal. They then downloaded a blind test program and tested themselves only to discover they were mistaken, that is better than just anecdotal testimony.
    And notice I mention "places like this". Its not just one person, if you want I could send more in a PM so as not to clog the thread further.

You might be surprised at what out host does or does not believe. Are you a supporter of 45 RPM for example?
    A Crosley has many issues like terrible speeds and non changeable carts.

We may agree to disagree on the parts that are subjective and personal, but its important we understand each others points before doing so instead of being strawmanned.

11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I owned the 2016 BG for a couple of years, but it always left me wanting. Like, a lot. It just sounded 2D and flat and lifeless. I thought maybe it's just a dynamic record and I need to really crank it. Nope. More volume didn't make it come alive either. Just louder flatness. So I sold it.

I just acquired a 30th and am spinning it now. Much much better. It finally sounds 3D and alive. I can tell what people are referring to about it being a bit hot. I'm hearing a bit of sibilance in the vocals. But that might be my cart and/or stylus and it's not bad enough to negate the overall magic. A little surface noise but not bad and definitely worth the trade-off. This is my go to copy from now on. I'm so psyched I found this for a reasonable price. I can't imagine preferring the 2016 to the 30th. It's just no contest.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  12. KaleidoscopeEyes

KaleidoscopeEyes Active Member

See .. I'm not nuts!! It is very very picky about cartridges. Fine lines usually work best.

AllenR likes this.
  13. Leonthepro

Because that is how fine line styli work. The only time a finer stylus is not better is for dirty or scratched records.

14. KaleidoscopeEyes

KaleidoscopeEyes Active Member

Truth... I have a hairline scratch on a mono Pepper... it skips. So sensitive - it can be annoying. So - you have to hunt down mint records.

15. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

pick up a UK a3/b3 - plenty about for reasonable cash. If you love this album it’s a must!

16. marblesmike

I just posted my copy of the also good 2011 Doug Sax cut of WYWH over in the classifieds if anyone wants to add that to their collection. FYI.

17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

it's funny. I collected, for decades, since 1974 actually, various pressings of this album. Quad 8-track, euro vinyl, you name it. To the point I'm so sick of this album I can't listen to it really anymore. Still love Meddle and Atom Heart and the early stuff. Just burnt out on Dark Side and would only say vinyl for this is a folly, try to play that beginning 100 times without it becoming a tic fest;)

c-eling likes this.
  18. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

I have two copies of the AAA 30th (one still sealed for trading or selling in the future), the Japanese Pro Use OBI strip and an early stamper cut of the first German version, including all the pictures, postcards and posters.

My favourite is the Japanese cut, closely followed by the german, as closely followed by the 30th. All my DSOTM vinyl sounds fantastic, so I never saw a reason to buy the 2016 digital high res vinyl. The 2016 WYWH sounds pretty good though!

Clucking and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.