Post Your Needledrops (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stefan, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member Thread Starter

[MOD: This thread is a continuation of part 4, here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/post-your-needledrops-part-four.306548/page-44'

I understand what you're saying and I agree, but the hobby of restoration can be very rewarding in its own right. I was trying to explain to an online buddy about wanting to pick up a used SL-1200 to fix it up (he does some DJ work and told me I should spring for a new Stanton ST.150) and I explained that it's not unlike someone who buys old cars and restores them. The same could be said for needledropping. For everyday listening, I own a lot of CDs that are ok, some even great sounding, but there's something special about the sound of good vinyl to start with, a certain three-dimensionality to the sound that even hires digital doesn't seem to have to the same degree. Then if you add to that older pressings that may need some work to remove glitches. It can be tedious work, but also a lot of fun, especially as software tools get more advanced. It doesn't prevent me from enjoying the music. In fact, it brings me closer to the music, more into it, a part of it.

Emperor5353, c-eling and thommo like this.
  2. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I've been needle dropping for exactly two years now - at least in so much my "modern" setup (I'm not counting my old crapola TT and when I used to record to cassette tapes and CDR's, in the 80's/90's).

Been reflecting on what I've done / where I'm headed, and I believe I have a process down now that's acceptable to me. I do some light click repair as I want to get rid of the distracting stuff, especially non-fill which I can't stand. But light surface noise I generally leave alone -- I accept the drops for what they are and that there will be some surface noise, and I'm OK with that. But I'll clean them with wood glue / Spin Clean first, just to get them as quiet as possible of course.

I wonder sometimes just WHY I enjoy my drops as much as I do - I think it's because the sound is more personal because, in part, I've decided on the sound ie my cart and phono stage setup. Like Stefan mentioned, it's like restoring a car versus buying one off the lot brand new.

defcon and thommo like this.
  3. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Yeah - I can see the "restoration" angle too.

As I say, I wasn't knocking anyone who's got there, I just don't think I'd survive the journey :D

4. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Here's a sample of Bonnie Raitt- The Road Is My Middle Name from the 45 single. The file has two samples, one with my Onyx/RB101/SP25 and the other with my Super OM30/Dual 1219. Both from the adcom GTP-500II phono pre. I'm working on a custom solid cherry base for my 1219.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/4i51ne
    [​IMG]

defcon likes this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I enjoy my needledrops more because they are a labor of love. It's that personal satisfaction of knowing I created something unique. I captured a sound that perhaps the rest of the world forgot about. I took something and made it better, IMO, and I did it without squashing the dynamics to death! Yes, it's ego, pride and the love of music that may never see an official release.

Oh, and it's cheaper than buying a legit product that got hosed by lousy mastering and wrong sources.

goodiesguy, Emperor5353 and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

^No kidding Grant, found a nm EJ Greatest Hits Vol II for .50 at our local Habitat For Humanity, Made for a nice needledrop :)

@Dale, nice recording, My failing ears picked #2, sounds "cleaner"

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't needledrop my copy, as it was horrible. The CDs versions aren't right, either. They have varying track listings for the U.S. and the U.K., and, "Philadelphia Freedom" is the version that fades too early, so, I re-compiled it from various CD sources and mastered it in Audition. Now, if only the official release had been produced like my remaster!

8. c-eling

The last two tracks, Levon and Pinball sounded like a completely different master, dull, no life, the rest sounded pretty good, well worth 50cents,lol

9. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Thanks. I'm always surprised at just how good the 1219 sounds. The Super OM30 has a couple of more db's from about 4 kHz up than the Onyx and the bass sounds a bit more muddy on the Onyx also. I got that 45 when it first came out and it really rocks.

10. jdsher

jdsher Forum Resident

Sounds great. I love that album. Bought mine around 1984-85. Need to break it out for a listen again. Rip sounds good through my headphones.
    Jon

11. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Once again, I tackle my holy grail of recordings.... Genesis Turn It On Again from the Duke LP

Recorded in 24-bit, Windows using VIA HD Audio Deck, Sanyo Full-Auto Direct Drive Turntable, Shure SC35 cart and stylus, ART DJ PRE II preamp, recorded in Audacity, cleaned up in Isotope RXII

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'll have to check this out later. This is a tough one because the US vinyl is mastered at an incredibly low level to allow for more music on each side.

Col Kepper likes this.
  13. Col Kepper

I know.... I've tried several times before I got the new preamp, so this was a test to see how different it would be.
    For me, it sounds a bit distant, but clearer than before.

14. c-eling

Talk about compressed Ben, Here's ND of Yes's Union, no De-click or processing , yeah I know everyone's hated Yes album
    I Would Of Waited Forever Samp-
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/j0ubam

Col Kepper likes this.
  15. Col Kepper

Yes is one of my favorite bands and this album joins AWBH and YesWest..... it's a return to a classic Yes sound after the mechanical 90125 and Big Generator.
    Your sample sounds nice, clear and warm.

16. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I loved this record as a kid, very nice job. I'm going to add him to my list of stuff to look for in the local record shops.

Ben Adams and Col Kepper like this.
  17. Col Kepper

Gotta love those $1 bins... some gems are in there. This rip sounds really good. I hear an echo in the recording. I guess that's normal 60's/70's recording technique. You cleaned it up nicely.

18. c-eling

Thanks Col, After hearing stories about long albums (Disintegration,Hysteria etc) being pressed onto single record I was worried how this would sound, I def had to crank it, but the nd turned out pretty good, this is my goto now over the original cd :)

Col Kepper likes this.
  19. Col Kepper

Ok, here is a fresh rip of the opening track from Loggins & Messina's LP "So Fine"

Recorded in 24-bit, Windows using VIA HD Audio Deck, Sanyo Full-Auto Direct Drive Turntable, Shure SC35 cart and stylus, ART DJ PRE II preamp, recorded in Audacity

Oh Lonesome Me (1:30 m4a file ~400kbps)

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I've got literally no time to check any of the samples just posted, as I've got to go to bed. I did have time to quickly nip off a piece of my own rip of "Turn It On Again" from Duke, so you can compare with yours, Col.

Genesis - Turn It On Again

Same setup as usual.

Col Kepper likes this.
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Actually, Col, I got to listen to your Genesis sample. Much more bass than mine. We
    both ran into the same problem with the woody timbre the compression adds to Phil's vocals.

22. EJK71

EJK71 Forum Resident

Just got the latest Justin Timberlake album from amazon. The surface noise across both discs seems louder than it should be, could it be a pressing issue? I'm already requesting a replacement thanks to other physical defects, but am I just expecting too much overall?

SL1200MKII, AT95e, ART USB Phono Plus

That Girl

23. Col Kepper

Could it be that the surface noise was intentional due to the recording is done in a club of some sort, so to create that ambiance, it was included? I'm just going by the sample you submitted. Other than that, it was a bit bass heavy, but this might be intentional as well.

24. EJK71

EJK71 Forum Resident

It is silent on the CD version, I was primarily using this track as an example since it has quieter sections to display the surface noise.

25. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.