Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

“Best of It”: Sounds like an outtake from a Peter Gabriel session. A little like “Digging in the Dirt,” maybe?

Again, nothing wrong with this one. It’s short, so it doesn’t overstay its welcome. But it it never really goes anywhere either.

I get the feeling Nez wants us to really concentrate on this album, like he’s got some deeper thing (In his mind, at least) happening. Yet it’s rarely rising above background music for me. Interesting background music, but background nonetheless.

Can’t justify a 3, but better than a 2. Another 2.5/5, I guess?

RobRoyF, JuanTCB, HitAndRun and 3 others like this.
  2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Best Of It" -- 1/5

Everything that I dislike about most of Rays, distilled into one track. Other songs on the album have some sort of merit, but this one doesn't rise above the level of nonsense. At least it's over in under 2 1/2 minutes.

Agree with Guy Smiley -- I think Nez is hearing something in this material that is just either not there, or not readily apparent to the listener. Maybe some day something will click and I'll "get" it. But I suspect that won't happen.

seeknom, RobRoyF, DaveJ and 3 others like this.
  3. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

As seems to be the consensus, perhaps the weakest track on the CD. Always took it as just a short groove in between songs or at the end of an LP, like he used to do with instrumentals. Still, not even up to Rays standards it is in the 2 range for me.

RobRoyF, Guy Smiley and HitAndRun like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Funny thing is, when I hung out in VR3D and would get to talking to Victoria (Nez's Ex), this was her favorite track. Lol.

5. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Best of It. Hardly.

Best of It - 2/5

RobRoyF, Guy Smiley, intv7 and 2 others like this.
  6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I love that there's part of Mike's brain that still apparently considers 1987 peak music coolness.

But I hate when he feels the need to let everybody know it.

2/5

7. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

This has no current relevance to anything whatsoever, but I was reminded of this little homemade bit of stupidity that shined the light on "the backing track attempts for Davy's THE GOOD EARTH", and if I can torture myself in playing t again, then I figured I may as well torture others also!

The Monkees "Good Earth" Outtakes - Clyp

intv7 and RobRoyF like this.
  8. minkahed

minkahed Forum Resident

Hello Monkee fans !!!

I've been on this forum for years and never mentioned that I was a Monkees fan and that's because I never seen any threads dedicated to them.

I can't believe I missed it, but I'm here and so happy. I'm looking forward to going and scanning all thru these pages to catch up.

Cheers !!!

9. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I guess ok I’m the minority here with this one

3/5

HitAndRun, RobRoyF and D-rock like this.
  10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I gave it the same score. :winkgrin:

super sally, HitAndRun and D-rock like this.
  11. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Best Of It - 2/5
    This rates barely a 2 on my register. It really is not all that much. Oh well - at least it is short.

HitAndRun and D-rock like this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Maybe that *is* the "Best of It", its short duration...

13. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

This version is a bit more listenable of Davy's Good Earth monologue with a musical backing track.

14. Guy Smiley

Welcome! Please, chime in and add your thoughts on either current discussions or past ones!

Also, there’s actually a lot of Monkees (and Nesmith) threads here. Here’s just a few that are active:

Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

The Michael Nesmith Appreciation Thread

Michael Nesmith: Different Drum--The Lost RCA Victor Recordings

Micky Dolenz announces album of Michael Nesmith covers*

15. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Best of It:

1-2
    2-6
    3-3
    4-0
    5-0

HitAndRun likes this.
  16. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's song is Ed's October Cafe:

I think Mike again played everything on this and it's a big improvement on the previous instrumental. If I listen to it in the right (or wrong) mood, I find it quite mournful and affecting.

After 7 tracks it still feels like this album hasn't really begun to me and this might have been better suited to being a penultimate track.

And, while I like it as it is, using authentic instruments might have improved it some.

3.5/5.

RobRoyF and HitAndRun like this.
  17. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Ed's October Cafe" -- 2.5/5

The tune itself is okay -- nothing I consider to be all that memorable, but not bad. The cheap sounding instrumentation doesn't do it justice, though.

HitAndRun likes this.
  18. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Ed's October Cafe

I'm sorry, but I don't like this one. It could be the sound quality of the clip, but I find little here of interest. I can't give some of Davy's lesser tracks ratings down in the low 2s and not be somewhere in that ballpark. The saxophone line that appears half way through saves it a bit. But, only a bit. The piano at the end sounds like it's going somewhere, and then it stops.

2.7/5

RobRoyF likes this.
  19. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

I think that it could work in context of a movie soundtrack but it's not really strong enough to stand up on its own. Even though it's short it doesn't really hold my attention. I agree with HitAndRun that to be consistent with the marks I've given Davy (and Peter) I have to rate this....

Ed's October Cafe - 2/5

RobRoyF likes this.
  20. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

While Ed's is a stand alone song, for me it is the preamble to Rays and as it builds toward Rays, I like it more. One of the better instrumentals on the CD, a solid 3. With all that has been said, I can see how Turk and others are still waiting for something to begin, even at the 7th track, even though I enjoy most of Rays.

21. Guy Smiley

Ed’s October Cafe may be my least favorite on the album so far. Repetitive, and the synths just dominate the proceedings. The (fake?) sax near the end helps, but this one falls flat.

Strange we’re more than half way through and this car trip seems stuck in neutral.

Sorry, Nez. 2/5.

RobRoyF and DaveJ like this.
  22. Bobby with a dollar

Bobby with a dollar Forum Resident

"Best Of It" This is the 1st song on side 1 that really grates on my nerves. Nez should have dropped this one and replaced it with "Land O' Pies" putting "Pies" where it fits much better than where it sits on side 2. 2.5/5

"Ed's Oct. Cafe"
    Is a pretty lackluster way to begin side 2. After the upbeat, groove heavy sounds of side 1 this one is a real downer. 1.5/5

RobRoyF, HitAndRun and DaveJ like this.
  23. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Ed’s. 2.9/3

HitAndRun likes this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Ed's October Cafe' 3/5

It's ok. Some nice parts.
    'Rays' gets better after this tune.

HitAndRun, DaveJ and intv7 like this.
  25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Ed’s October Cafe’ - The synths at the beginning sort of gives off the atmospheric flavor of a Parisian cafe’, the rest of the music with the obo effect has a grand sweep to it. It kind of reminds me of a Brian Wilson instrumental piece. 3/5.