SACD - Are you surprised at the format's recent resurgence?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Make sure your player is able to play de DSD layer of the SACD, keep in mind that a hybrid SACD means that has both the PCM and DSD layer. If you want to enjoy the 5.1 sound your player has to have either 5.1 RCA outputs or HDMI v 1.2 (and up) output and your amp or receiver has to have the proper inputs and the ability to decode DSD if you're using HDMI.

Shvartze Shabbos, Jarleboy and Armjim like this.
  2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Is there a thread about the Art Pepper SACDs?
    I couldn't find it

Shvartze Shabbos and soundboy like this.
  3. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

CraigVC mine is the SA8005 so it definitely only plays in stereo. I was really disappointed when I learned that not all cds are hybrid and that even fewer 5.1. It was a learning experience for me.

4. Armjim

I learned quite a bit when I queried the Audio guys about this. My cd player is pretty decent, and will access the hybid layer. But it won't do 5.1 which I have resorted to using my Blu-Ray player for if I want to listen in that matter.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone have and recommend Eric Clapton Unplugged SACD?

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't think so. However, here are the SACDs in question....

SACD

JeffMo, Shvartze Shabbos and jfeldt like this.
  7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I just decided to order a few of them. They are mastered by Benny Grundman

JeffMo, soundboy and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  8. dh46374

dh46374 Forum Resident

Here's all I could find. It's in this thread: Clapton Unplugged MoFi | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Jarleboy and JeffMo like this.
  9. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

The SACD is not audibly different than the CD.
    Save your money

ispace and JeffMo like this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thank you both for replies. This forum is great!

11. olinko

olinko Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums of the 90s right there!
    Really excited for this one

jamesc likes this.
  12. Armjim

I went to eBay again and looked at 5.1 SACD players. A number of Sony players pretty cheap. When I zoom in on them they clearly state multi-channel on the front panel. I am tempted to buy one because even with shipping they are less than $100. I am just wondering if it is worth it for the few multichannel SACDs I own (Carpenters, the Moody Blues two favorites). My Marantz receiver has the required cable inputs in which my current Marantz SACD player is connected. Speaking of Marantz, several guys told me Marantz never made a true 5.1 SACD player, yet several are being advertised for sale on eBay with 5.1 in the description.

13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Do you have a receiver with HDMI inputs?

Armjim likes this.
  14. Armjim

I do-a Marantz that has both the HDMI and analog connections. From what I have been told repeatedly is that the only way for a SACD 5.1 player to reproduce the surround sound mix is to use the cables.

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Not true re: you HAVE to use the RCA cables. IF your receiver can accept HDMI, it should be able to produce the 5.1 playback. However...

1. SACDs utilize DSD for the high resolution 2.0 and 5.1 audio. Not all receivers can handle native DSD, even over HDMI. In these cases, the receiver should internally convert DSD to PCM and play the PCM files back, either in 2.0 or 5.1, depending on the layer of the disc selected for playback.

2. Using the 5.1 RCA (Analog) outputs from the player to the receiver is of course an option, but it means the player is doing the processing/conversion of the 2.0/5.1 signal instead of the receiver. This only makes sense to do IF you know that the digital to analog converting chip in your player is of better quality than the one in your receiver. If it is NOT better, it makes way more sense to output from the player digitally, over HDMI, and let the receiver do the processing/heavy lifting.

dman23, dennis the menace and Armjim like this.
  16. Armjim

jhm, thanks for the info. I may be limited as to what I can do. Looking at the rear panel of my receiver, there is an Optical input for the CD player. My only choices for HDMI input is Media Player or Auxiliary (also DVD, Game, Cable/SAT and Blu-Ray). My current SACD player is using the analog cd inputs, and I have my cassette deck connected to the analog Media Player inputs. If I chose something like the Game, would it correctly process the signal? I am guessing not.

jhm likes this.
  17. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yeah, all the HDMI inputs should handle things the same. They just label them for your convenience.

jhm and Armjim like this.
  18. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

HDMI has been DSD capable since 2005 with version 1.2.
    • HDMI version 1.2 added Direct Stream Digital, DSD which enabled native transmission of Super Audio CD, SACD, content with up to 8 channels.

Jarleboy and mdm08033 like this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thank you sir, but I was talking about the receiver's ability to handle native DSD as opposed to converting it to PCM. I was not talking about an HDMI cable's ability to carry a native DSD signal.

ispace and Jarleboy like this.
  20. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

OK. Conversion is inevitable.

21. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

You don't hear a difference.

I hear a slightly improved soundstage with a bit more impact.

Is it worth springing for the MoFi SACD? It depends on how much you like the album.

For most an original CD would probably be fine as the original CD release was so incredibly good.

22. Armjim

I am ready to bite the bullet and order a SACD 5.1 player, but all model's I am finding do not have HDMI, but they do have the digital optical output which my receiver has the input for. I may go ahead and order one, and experiment with it. If it gives me the surround sound from my 5.1 SACD's I have been hoping for, I'll start budgeting for a more recent model. What else to do when the temperatures will be in excess of 101 for days?

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I find it hard to find anything without HDMI these days

24. rbholbrook

rbholbrook Forum Resident

If you’re interested in Contemporary Records, our host remaster 2 box sets for Stereosound in Japan that looks like it covers most of these releases plus some more releases. I quite like them. (Steve said he re-mastered another 2 sets as well but don’t think those ever saw the light of day).

25. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I don't believe you can play the multichannel portion through a digital out so don't jump on anything too quickly!

There are quite a few inexpensive Sony blu-ray players out there that will play SACD, have HDMI outputs and some also allow you to back up SACDs. Easily under $50 on Ebay. Models like the BDP-S5100. This page has a bunch of models you can search for:

https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/down-the-rabbit-hole-of-sacd-ripping-and-dsd-extraction/