Sam Cooke's "Night Beat" SACD due from Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hank, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I wonder why nobody complained the cheap booklet :shh:

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Because it is not an Audio Fidelity disc. :laugh:

3. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

How is the booklet on the 2005 remaster?

4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The Blue Note SACD booklets are fine but some of the older 24K releases were rather spartan.

I wish they would accurately reproduce the original back cover on their booklets and/or tray cards.

5. I forgot to mention something. I was impressed by the ABKCO SACDs for Sam Cooke, but the sound quality on Night Beat is far better than those releases.

6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

AP release just two "Night Beat" and "The Best of Sam Cooke"?
    other recommend it Coook albums? I listen the first songs (covers) of "Hits of the 50's" I really like that one.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I'm interested I hearing more opinions on the Night Beat SACD. I love this album, but the only version I currently own is on the "Man Who Invented Soul" soundtrack. I didn't even know it had been released on SACD. I saw it on the inside packaging of an Audio Fidelity Nat "King" Cole SACD and practically exploded.

IronWaffle likes this.
  9. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

There are some informative comments and comparisons earlier in the thread, especially this post: Sam Cooke's "Night Beat" SACD due from Analogue Productions
    If you're OK with the SACD being a remix, I'd say it's a good option and definitely better mastered than the box-set you mentioned. I think I prefer the original mix which is on the old ABKCO CD.

CBackley likes this.
  10. CBackley

Thanks!

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you sure the old ABKCO CD is the original mix? I'm not saying it's not, but a lot of that material has been remixed over the years. The version on The Man Who Invented Soul is remixed, but the Bob Ludwig remaster in the digipak isn't. I'm not a fan of either of those.

Also, as far as I know, the "mix" is already on the 3-track, it's just a matter of balancing the vocal to the backing.

12. CBackley

Sorry for going off-topic, but does anyone know the source of the Mastered for iTunes version of this album?

13. CBackley

I just got a slight bonus today, so first thing I did was order the Night Beat SACD. Yay!

PhantomStranger, Lucidae and Bill Mac like this.
  14. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

I'm looking for opinions of the SACD and CD layers of this release if anyone is willing to provide them. While the 3.0 SACD layer is of paramount interest, the truth is I will likely more often listen to the CD layer via my computer (hooked into the equipment on my profile page).

I came very close to purchasing the $5.99 2001 remaster this morning but on a whim Googled artist+title+SACD and was pleasantly surprised. Now, having spent all the lunch money not stolen by bullies, I need to be certain this is worth a $40 plunge the only places I can find it online.

Until yesterday I was completely unfamiliar with this album. I was catching up on Ken Burns' Vietnam, during which I heard (and thanks to my iPhone could identify) a clip of "Mean Old World." Having sampled all the tracks on iTunes this sounds right up my alley. A real gem at the right time.

Anyhow, the posts below (linked elsewhere in this thread) have been handy but more would be great.

15. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

If sound quality is important to you, get the SACD. CD layer is excellent as well.

CBackley likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I find it slightly muted on top, but otherwise it's the best version I've heard.

If somebody can send me the ABKCO I could post clips of all 4 versions.

IronWaffle likes this.
  17. CBackley

The SACD is fantastic, including the CD layer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.