Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Nice 'n' Easy" - 1960*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jun 19, 2010.

1. I wonder why they've elected to omit the bonus tracks from the 1987 CD this time?

2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

This is the most Wonderful news!!

And yes I have PRE-ORDERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Do we have a tracks list anywhere for the extra stuff?

peace and love✌Dave

Tom Daniels likes this.
  4. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Nice ‘n’ Easy (60th Anniversary Edition) Tracklist:
    01.Nice ‘N’ Easy
    02. That Old Feeling
    03. How Deep Is The Ocean
    04. I’ve Got A Crush On You
    05. You Go To My Head
    06. Fools Rush In
    07. Nevertheless (I’m In Love With You)
    08. She’s Funny That Way
    09. Try A Little Tenderness
    10. Embraceable You
    11. Mam’selle
    12. Dream
    13. The Nearness Of You (2020 Mix) (Bonus Track)
    14. I’ve Got A Crush On You (Bonus Track) *
    15. Nice ‘N’ Easy (Bonus Track) *

* = Previously unreleased

Beaneydave likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The very first Capitol Nice ‘n’ Easy CD (1988) had no bonus tracks (or liner notes). The 1991 (Walsh) and 2002 (Norberg) CDs added four bonus tracks, including “The Nearness of You.” The other three bonuses were old (1953–54) mono-only Riddle tracks which had nothing to do with the 1960 album. They do not belong on this reissue.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

LP has NO extra tracks! At least that is the way it appears now. Not even "The Nearness of You". Hope that is not correct.

Artur Torres and dualstacker like this.
  7. Dr. Funkenstein

Dr. Funkenstein Forum Resident

I’m not sure if I’ll pick it up either. The Alan Dell LP is my go-to copy, and I’ve always been very comfortable with the sound. The anniversary edition of Only the Lonely was exciting to me because that album had always suffered from too much music being crammed onto a single slab of vinyl, and had also never been given a completely satisfying stereo release. Here... I don’t know, I’m happy with my copy and don’t know how significantly the sound could be improved haha! But maybe I’m wrong and this will be a surprisingly strong release, perhaps even the definitive version... Who knows?

And I agree, UMe have been seriously slacking recently!

sharedon and paulmock like this.
  8. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

:sigh:I truly rival pal @MLutthans and his OTL collection when it comes to this album.

roda12 likes this.
  9. Sorry, but it is correct!

dualstacker and paulmock like this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I swear! The people running his catalogue could screw up a one car funeral procession! UMe is doing wonderful things jazz-wise with Blue Note. But put Mr. S in the mix it is a major screw up.

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not to be an apologist for the producers, but I have to respectfully disagree with my friend Paul here…

None of the many Sinatra LP reissues by FSE and UMe have included extra tracks. Their goal seems to have been to offer honest replicas of the original albums on modern vinyl, and leave the bonuses to the CD and digital releases. (Same as MFSL in that respect.) I wouldn’t have expected otherwise with this one.

In all fairness, the digital extras we have seen are quite long and would not fit on single LPs with the original tracks. And/or they might compromise the sonic and artistic integrity of the original albums.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Subagent, alanbeat, RSteven and 10 others like this.
  12. Bob, is this only the second 60th AE to be released so far, following Frank Sinatra Sings Only For The Lonely 2 years ago?

If so, do you know what the producer's rationale is for deciding which albums they will reissue etc?

CBackley likes this.
  13. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Remixed? Guess it will sound like the other reissues done by Walsh: dry, lifeless - wrong.
    Nothing can beat my MFSL CD! I like the original wet mix. Even the Walsh version from 1987/1991 is too dry for me.

14. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

That's exactly how I feel about these vinyl re-releases. I want to be able to listen to these classic albums as they were originally intended.

15. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

I'm too very comfortable with leaving the bonus tracks to the cd versions.

alanbeat and RSteven like this.
  16. With all the anticipation of the new 60th CD coming, I pulled out my 1984 Dell LP and spun it for the first time in a couple of years.

I'm not sure what the general consensus is on it but I thought it sounds absolutely fantastic. Presumably it's the original mix? This begs the question as to why it was ever thought necessary to remix it.

Ridin'High and NorthNY Mark like this.
  17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It’s only the second one which has been advertised as a “60th Anniversary” edition, although a few earlier Capitol LP reissues might qualify (give or take a year). You can find the complete list of UMe Sinatra LPs in this SFF post:

New UMG Vinyl Releases (updated)

I can only guess that past sales popularity has much to do with FSE’s choice of which albums to reissue. (Not the criterion that I would prefer.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I will wait to hear it, before forming conclusions. FWIW, the newly remixed preview track “The Nearness of You” is not dry.

RSteven and SteveM like this.
  19. Thanks, Bob. Yes, that does sort of make sense from a commercial point of view, I suppose although, as you say, I'm sure we would have liked a special edition reissue of Where Are You? and a few others.

Record Rotator and Bob F like this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

RSteven and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  21. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

True. I checked it on YouTube and compared it quickly with versions from the old Walsh CD (1987/91) and from the 1998 UK-Box.
    UK-Box version is still my favourite, but I‘m in for session material as a bonus....

bozburn likes this.
  22. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

The Dell Mono version is excellent.
    My copy says stereo but in fact has the mono mix

Ridin'High and Record Rotator like this.
  23. I have the stereo Dell but also an original UK Mono. It definitely doesn't sound like a fold down so does anyone know if the mix was exclusive to UK?

MarkusGermany likes this.
  24. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m pumped for this. I’ve ordered multiple copies of this album on LP. No lie, at least 8-9 copies of various pressings based on @MLutthans scorecard. Every single copy I’ve received has been cursed with surface noise or, in one case, RUN OVER BY A CAR during the delivery process. I need a functional copy of this album on LP.

25. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Those session tapes are pretty good Paul! I still like my MFSL gold cd and vinyl. Like you I have a "few" copies of that LP.

paulmock and MarkusGermany like this.