Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Nice 'n' Easy" - 1960*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jun 19, 2010.

1. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

How about this - offer a separate 10-inch companion LP with the bonus tracks and call it "Nice 'n' Easy Extras" or something, with new artwork that is inspired by the original jacket so as to be complimentary. As a standalone record, the bonus cuts wouldn't compromise the sonic or artistic integrity of the original album, yet it would keep record lovers from missing out. As it stands, I have no reason to buy this new issue, because I want the bonus cuts in analogue, but I've already got the MFSL pressing and the 4-track reel of the album, so why upgrade for a remix when the original sounds fine to me. The powers that be just want collectors to shell out for two formats instead of one so they can have the new LP plus the bonus cuts for double the price. I dislike having duplication in my music library, and I refuse to indulge in it whenever possible, especially when it is due to marketing considerations.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Ridin'High, roda12 and dualstacker like this.
  2. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

This is a great post. This same thing happened with the recent My Way and Bergman issues. Bonus tracks only available on CD. Stick the bonus tracks on a 10 or even a 7 inch if they fit and make a nice package for vinyl lovers instead of just assuming they’ll buy a “new” mix of an lp they probably already own 5 copies of. Stop shortchanging analog fans. Make bonus cuts available to them in the format they like.

McLover, roda12 and .crystalised. like this.
  3. .crystalised.

In my perfect world, classic album reissues would always be vinyl only, or vinyl and SACD. New compilations would also be vinyl or SACD. Meanwhile, CDs would be reserved for box set anthologies. That way, the original artistic and sonic integrity of the album is preserved on its original format, yet one could still have a digital copy of the songs as part of a boxed set of the artist if they so desire. Much less duplication and overlap that way, especially on CD, which is what drives me nuts. I search for a song like "I've Got You Under My Skin" in my foobar2000 library, and 5 different copies of the same performance come up, most with the same mastering. It's maddening, not because I need the space these redundant versions occupy - the marketing schemes that justify such overlap is gross. I refuse to admit how many copies of Peggy Lee's "Fever" are lurking in my computer storage. I guess I'm a purist. I want to enjoy the album on its original format, along with any extras that exist.

And master the 10-inch bonus LP at 45 rpm if the extra material isn't long enough to fill it at 33.3 ;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    CBackley likes this.
  4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I think I’m in Love!! :wiggle:

-David

5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Fortunately I have this fine album on cd in the UK Capitol albums box along with the gold MFSL cd. I would like an SACD but that I guess is unlikely now. I don't have a vinyl version of Nice 'n' Easy so may well buy the new version.
    Universal should reissue the cardigan as well!

6. Brian Frazier

Brian Frazier Forum Resident

Nice 'n' Easy is one of the best sounding original recordings I own. On par with Swingin' Session!!! Be interested to see what they do with the reissue.

RSteven likes this.
  7. .crystalised.

Gorgeous. Mix ain't bad, either.

Incidentally, did "Nearness" get bumped from the original album set to make way for the new title track? If so, a shame. I would've preferred "Nice 'n' Easy" to be a single only release, or a single included on a later compilation.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes. The original album was completed more than five weeks before the new single track was recorded.

9. .crystalised.

I played the MFSL edition last night and noticed the later date for the title track in the gatefold. Was it Frank's decision to swap out "Nearness"? If not, I bet it pissed him off royally.

CBackley and Bob F like this.
  10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Actually, there is a mistake inside the gatefold of the MFSL Gold CD. It says the title track was recorded March 13, 1960, and the others March 1, 2, and 3. In reality, the title single was not recorded until APRIL 13.

My post in the other thread: Sinatra album Nice 'n' Easy. Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So whats the point of this? Why not remix the entire album?

MarkusGermany likes this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The description at YouTube states, “The 60th Anniversary edition of Frank Sinatra’s Nice ‘N’ Easy album is newly mixed and mastered.” And all of the digital tracks are labeled “2020 Mix” (e.g., at Amazon Music).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  13. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Here’s a thought , I wonder why the album cover was in black and white? I think this is the only Sinatra album ( non compilation ) in black and white.
    Bob/ anyone??

peace and love✌Dave

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  14. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

That's a very astute observation that has gone over my head for decades. I've never once until now ever thought about it.
    @Bob F

CBackley and Beaneydave like this.
  15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Uh, maybe because it looked a lot better than the colorized version from Argentina? :hide:

[​IMG]

16. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Not good! I much prefer the suave, easy-breezy charm of the original cover art.

MarkusGermany, Beaneydave and Bob F like this.
  17. .crystalised.

Thanks. I noticed a few other errors in the MFSL gatefold, such as the composer credit for "Dream". Seems like nobody proofread the jacket before it went into production, or it was completed on a Friday at 4:30 pm.

RSteven likes this.
  18. .crystalised.

Golly, that's a pretty-in-pink chair. :sigh:

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Unless I’m missing something, the credit for “Dream” (Johnny Mercer) looks correct to me.

Beaneydave and RSteven like this.
  20. Record Rotator

Love the title track! Can't wait for this new vinyl re-release.

21. Record Rotator

Sorry to go off-topic, but could someone please post a link to all of the Sinatra songs that weren't released on the official albums?
    I believe someone (Bob F?) posted a list in some thread!?
    I believe these songs were included in the suitcase box set. I wish "they" would release a stand-alone box set for all of us, who do
    not have these songs in our Sinatra collection. Yeah, they're on YouTube, but I want a physical release.

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The video posted is not the new version. (It’s the Norberg remaster.) The new title track was just released today for advance digital download.

Frank Sinatra - Nice 'n' Easy (2020 Mix / Audio):

23. Record Rotator

Oh, I know, Bob. I was merely paying tribute to the song itself.

24. Record Rotator

That said, what is your opinion of the 2020 mix?

RSteven likes this.
  25. Record Rotator

I didn't know that it was the Norberg remaster. I just posted the available YouTube video. I personally do not have any of the Norberg remasters in my collection, thanks to you!

joshm2286 and RSteven like this.