Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality and General Discussion: "...Great Songs from Great Britain" (1962)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Aug 31, 2007.

1. For me personally this is one issue which significantly devalues much of his Reprise repertoire. He seemed to want to focus on re-recording a lot of the Capitol era songs, presumably to ensure that people bought Reprise records when they wanted to hear him sing a particular song in preference to listening to / buying Capitol albums.

It appears he became a lesser recording artist but a greater businessman at this point?

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not at all. The album was intended as a "thank you" to his loyal British fans. British songs, all British songwriters, British orchestra, British arranger.

Most in the US did not even find out about the 1962 album until three years later, and it wasn't issued here in the States until the CD rekease in 1993. It certainly wasn't a business decision.

aoxomoxoa and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  3. No, I appreciate THIS specific album wasn't about business. I was thinking more about the re-recordings in general during the Reprise era, although in truth, this wasnt an uncommon policy for artists who had been recording for a few decades during this era.

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, of course Sinatra had sales in mind (but not for this album). There was a bitter feud between his old and new labels. He had somewhat of an advantage, as he could now offer some of his Capitol mono-only recordings in glorious new stereo.

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

In advance of Matt's next chronological Sinatra album evaluation, I thought I'd drop in a few official YouTube playlist links. (For those in the USA and Australia, at least; ironically, these are not yet available in the UK.)

1993 US Warner/Reprise CD with bonus track (rebranded in 2010 by UMG):
    Sinatra Sings Great Songs from Great Britain

2014 Universal Music/"Signature Sinatra" 3-CD box set (excluding DVD disc):
    Sinatra: London - Great Songs from Great Britain

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  6. Thanks, Bob. It's ironic indeed that the CD isn't available either in the UK (outside the London box set), hence why I bought the LP.

CBackley likes this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The 2010 UMG EU reissue appears to have finally gone out of print. It was digitally identical to the 1993 US CD issue.

Note that YouTube duplicates the tracks from the old single CD in the Sinatra: London playlists above. (The CD was apparently uploaded to YT last, and they usually do not keep two different versions of a recording.)

The actual album disc in the box set is a new remix by Larry Walsh (mastered by Ian Jones at Abbey Road Studios).

8. Which presumably is the same source used for the UMe LP? Or at least that's what my 'logic' determined at the time when I bought it! Can anyone confirm? Matt?

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I don't have the UMe LP, but that's what I would expect. I'm sure @MLutthans will cover it in his next album closeup.

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Instead of YouTube, the digital downloads of the 1993/2010 CD, and the 2014 box set remixes, may be compared at Spotify:

Single CD: Sinatra Sings Great Songs From Great Britain
    Box Set: London

Or iTunes (both "Mastered for iTunes"):

Single CD: Sinatra Sings Great Songs from Great Britain by Frank Sinatra at iTunes Store
    Box Set: London by Frank Sinatra at iTunes Store

DISCLAIMER: I haven't downloaded any of these. It occurs to me that since the separate album was uploaded to the various music services in late 2014 (and because it is MFiT), it may just be the same remixed tracks from the box set. (I.e., it may not be the digital version of the original CD after all.)

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Isn't one of the tunes not really a British tune or not written by a British songwriter or something? I seem to remember reading that in the liner notes when the CD was 1st released.

13. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I think it was " Now is the Hour" but I'm not home to check and yes it's in the liner notes

Peace and love✌

paulmock likes this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The song you're thinking of is "The White Cliffs of Dover." Farnon did a chart, but it was scrapped when it was found to have been written by Americans.

The only song on the album not by British songwriters is "Now Is The Hour," a Maori song from New Zealand (part of the British Commonwealth originally).

DmitriKaramazov and paulmock like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Listening now to the 80's Japanese version. Sound is beautiful...But Mr. S sounds damn tired on some tunes. Downright ragged on a few. Cannot ignore or sugarcoat it.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  16. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Oh, yeah. Luckily, the wear in his voice doesn't hamper the prime cuts on this album, like, "If I Had You," or "A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square."

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Odd that Roses of Picardy, a world-wide first release on this edition, as I understand it, is in very good sounding mono on this otherwise-stereo release.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

If it is I've never noticed. Back when released were all so damned happy to have it on the LP that it made no difference.

MLutthans likes this.
  19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I will say, I love his take on "If I had You" on this album!!! VERY nice! Interesting to compare it with the Columbia and the Nelson Riddle versions.

20. MLutthans

@Blackie has been kind enough to allow me to change the title of this ongoing thread and to use this space for another "Reprise Sound Quality" thread -- thank you!! -- so I thought I'd post that I have the following clips already:

•Original mono LP (thank you @bferr1)
    •Original stereo LP
    •1980s tan label Japanese stereo LP
    •"Suitcase" CD tracks
    •"London" box (thank you @Bob F)
    •2014 Stereo LP (thank you @bferr1)

Anybody have anything else to throw into the ring? If so, please PM me. The current plan is to look primarily at The Very Thought of You, A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square, and, where available, Roses of Picardy.

This is an album with which I don't have much history, so it's a little extra fun for me, since it's all fresh and I'm utterly unbiased as things begin.

21. MLutthans

(Thanks to @Bob F for pointing out that there are some different edits on different editions.)

Comparing versions of "The Very Thought of You" on my original UK stereo (-3L matrix) and 1980s Japanese stereo LP....boy, there's some weird stuff here!

[UPDATE: See clarifying comments here.]

•Beginning to 1:19 both versions are identical in content.
    •At 1:19, there is an edit in the Japanese version, with content from a different take that appears to continue all the way through to the end of the track.
    •From 1:29 to 1:43, there is an intercut -- a spliced-in piece -- in the UK version that is from the take that was used on the Japanese album.
    •The UK version has another brief intercut 2:34-2:37, again matching the content of the Japanese release for those few seconds.

So....

•Beginning to 1:19 = same content on both -- Take 5, IIRC.
    •1:19-1:29 different content, with UK continuing on Take 5 and Japan moving to "take B"*
    •1:29-1:43: Due to the splice/intercut in the UK version, both versions are now on "take B"*
    •1:43-2:34: The Japanese version appears to continue with "take B"; the UK version assumedly reverts to Take 5 again (but I suppose it's possible, but unlikely, that it's a different take altogether)
    •2:34-2:37: The Japanese version continues unspliced; the UK version has an intercut to "take B," so, very briefly, the two releases are identical here
    •2:37 to end: The Japanese version continues uncut; the UK reverts, assumedly, to take 5.

*Another way to view the two * edits: Both versions transition to "take B" at nearly the same time, but the transition does not take place at the exact same spot in both cases. The UK transition occurs a little later than the Japanese transition.

To summarize even further:
    •The Japanese release has one splice at 1:19, transitioning from take 5 to "take B," and that's it. 1:19 from take 5 total; about 2:18 from "take B" total
    •The UK version is assumedly all take 5 except for two inserts. About 3:20 from take 5 total; 17 seconds from "take B."

Update: The original UK mono and UK stereo releases have identical edits on this track. The 2014 LP follows the Japanese version.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    bozburn, kennyluc1 and Bob F like this.
  22. MLutthans

Has anybody else noticed/commented on all of the digital restoration/reconstruction work that has obviously gone on with the 2014/2015 releases of this album? It sounds to me like it's a hodge-podge of original mix, remix, and alternate sources (backups, dubs, whatever) all cobbled together to create a clean version with as good a sound as possible (and the "clean" tracks sound very nice, I think).

Some of the splices and crossfades are really blatant! Listen, for instance, to "If I Had You" on one of the new-ish releases. The left channel essentially disappears from about 0:13-0:17. What's that about? Then there's a quick crossfade right as Frank enters, and I think we're "a generation down" starting there. At 0:42, the left channel goes away again, and the vocal tone totally changes again after that, but just for the words "if I," then it reverts back to better quality again. Then the strings bury Frank around 1:10. Nothing like that on the original stereo mix, so that part must be a remix. I think here we have a combination of remix, original stereo mix, and some sort of backup/alternate copy that's used in spots.

The HD and LP are identical, so they clearly are sourced from the same digital stitch-up -- and I don't necessarily view that as a problem; I'm merely pointing it out.

CBackley likes this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@MLutthans I know I commented way earlier that I thought the whole damn thing was underwhelming....but that was just after one listen-thru without any real listening. YIKES! I wonder if the UMe LP uses this dreck.

24. MLutthans

Yes....
    ...but in my limited listening so far, I think it's kind of a double-edged sword, as some selections have benefitted from a very clean remix/remastering, while others have transitions/splices that are, themselves, distracting.

teag likes this.
  25. MLutthans

Looking at IF I HAD YOU splicing differences:

The intercut appears to be on the Japanese LP, while the UK stereo LP runs with no edit, as far as I can detect, and the intercut is very brief, starting about 1:30 in, and covering only the words "or I could sail the mighty ocean wide." By the way, I think it was Bernhard over at SFF who first brought the different edits to readers' attention, so credit where credit is due; I'm just trying to nail down exactly where the edits are.

I find it interesting that on THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU, the new editions use the same edits as the Japanese LP, but on IF I HAD YOU, the edits follow those found on the UK LP.