Target color vinyl

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Tjazz, May 18, 2022.

1. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

[RE the Target blue vinyl reissue of Miles Davis KOB]
    Arrived today. It is a reissue of the stereo MPO version from 2010.
    Disappointing since Target's web page clearly showed both the mono outer sleeve, and a mono label on blue vinyl.
    Already sold out on Target's website, but I won't be spinning this one much if at all. Have several better versions..

marcb and ivor like this.
  2. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store) Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The Clapton is $50….hopefully it’s a more consistent quality pressing than the earlier yellow pressing and black pressing. There are also apparently two different cuts too (I don’t know which is better or worse or whatever).

4. Tjazz

5. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

This title is back in stock at Target. Still showing the MONO cover and labels.
    Discogs shows what buyers actually receive.

Aeryn Sun and black sheriff like this.
  6. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Does this mean it's a crap mastering/pressing?

7. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Not necessarily. Some reviews say its just fine. But I'm personally not interested in any more stereo versions, I have the UHQR, the 2010 Kevin Gray mastering and a 70s era red label.
    I never played the copy of the Target pressing I received. After reading about its provenance, I just resold it.

Some info from discogs review says the Target blue stereo version was mastered by Daniel Krieger and pressed at MPO, same as a 2010 version, apparently derived from the deadwax info being the same. All I could find with the same matrix on discogs is this 2019 reissue which again refers to a 2010 version. Didn't have the energy to investigate any further.

I've never heard of Daniel Krieger; MPO gets mixed reviews as a pressing plant.
    The blue vinyl KOB didn't have any obvious pressing issues and the buyer seemed happy enough with it.

For a budget stereo KOB pressing I'd personally get the 2010 mastered by Kevin Gray.
    The problem is that there are at least two, and maybe more 2010 variants with the same barcode, some mastered by KG and some not. So, it can be hard to know what you are buying.

Aeryn Sun likes this.
  8. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Queen Greatest II, a two-LP set on blue vinyl, was 17.50 at a store near me yesterday. Ed did not have one of those yellow clearance stickers on it.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It may not be crap, but almost everything else out there (short of EU copyright expiration stuff) is a better option

Aeryn Sun likes this.
  10. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Picked one up today :thumbsup:

Thesmellofvinyl and Tjazz like this.
  11. Thesmellofvinyl

Hey, cool.

Ed would be pleased, heh.

12. Tjazz

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Tjazz

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  14. Tjazz

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    mur, hi_watt and ledsox like this.
  15. Thesmellofvinyl

The East Greenbush, NY store has eight copies of the third Guardians of the Galaxy LP on clearance at $11.99. (2LP, purple/blue vinyl and poster.)

mur, Fred Dender and fluffskul like this.
  16. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Hey guys, I couldn't find a more appropriate thread to post this in so here goes:

I had read on the Vinyl deals Reddit about some Targets having a few good titles on clearance. Selection, if any, varies by store. Since it's hit or miss I didn'think it worthy of a new thread.

I went to 4 in 3 of Dallas' north suburbs this morning and found:

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, Weathervanes - $9.59. I picked up 2, for myself and son. Left one in the rack
    The Offspring Greatest. Not a huge fan but - $4.37
    There were a couple of other titles I had no interest in, Scorpions - $13 and change and some cat whose name I can't recall

Anyway, it was hit or miss as 3 stores had none but 1 (Frisco) had the above as noted. With a Target card you can knock another 5% off.

Davidmk5, JorgeGvb, mur and 3 others like this.
  17. Bryant19

Bryant19 Well-Known Member

I found Jason Isbell "Weathervanes" on sale for $9.97 or something like that. I already have it, but got it for my neighbor. Too good of an offer to pass up.

mur likes this.
  18. anodyne

anodyne Forum Resident

I've searched all of the Targets near to me for the Jason Isbell "Weathervanes", but never have been able to track down a copy.

19. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

The Target vinyl deals are generally being discussed in their own thread. These clearanced albums have had a lot of discussion.

Latest Target In-Store Vinyl Markdowns

DLD and karloffsidekick like this.