The Best Youtube Channels

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jbmcb, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

While researching airbrushes,paints and things,I`ve been watching instructional videos of people building Bandai plastic model kits.Ithink it`ll be fun to try one to relax since I haven`t built and plastic models in years.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

A big fan as mentioned of 'The Guitologist'.
    This is a cute video of him making an instrument with his daughter.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Quarantine bump! I'm still watching many of the channels from my earlier post but I'm curious if anyone's found anything to binge lately.

Lately have been thoroughly enjoying the Bon Appétit Youtube channel; some of the recipes can be a bit finicky but stuff like It's Alive and Gourmet Makes are more personality-driven and lots of fun.

On the subject of Foodtube, I can also heartily recommend Cowboy Kent Rollins; "cowboy" home cooking and THE guy to watch to learn how to cook with cast iron and coals.

For anybody not digging the later iterations of Top Gear, the Grand Tour fellas have a new venture, Drivetribe.

A couple music recommendations:

Adam Neely; originally focused on music theory, Adam's broadened his videos a little more to talk about copyright, NYC gig culture, and general music stuff. Theory is still important to the channel but not a requirement for watching.

Nahre Sol; another New Yorker, this time a classical pianist attempting to broaden her horizons by tackling different genres.

Ben Levin; another Berklee grad like Neely. Mostly guitar; if you've ever wanted to learn how to make music weird, he's your guy.

jbmcb likes this.
  5. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great Idea!

Lehto's Law: Michigan attorney, historian, part time DJ, and car buff Steve Lehto comments on contemporary legal matters and interesting court cases.
    Steve Lehto

Viva Frei: A good companion to Lehto's channel, quick legal overviews of court cases in the news. Delves into political topics but remains pretty neutral.
    Viva Frei

Electroboom: Lunatic electrical engineer teaches basic electronic principles while repeatedly electrocuting himself and blowing things up. Actually very educational - though he swears a lot he bleeps it out. I tell my kids "See, when you grab a 110V AC line with your bare hands and blow yourself off of a chair - that's when you are allowed to curse."
    ElectroBOOM

RedLetterMedia: Hands-down my favorite review channel. Often vulgar and inappropriate for children, and some adults, they do an outstanding job of pulling apart movies and TV shows to see what works, what doesn't and why. The regular review series is called Half In the Bag. The Re:View series reviews older films, often with a special guest. Best Of The Worst is MST3K-like, in that a small group of them watch a selection of awful films and try to find any redeeming qualities in them. They are most famous for their epic, 90-minute long review of The Phantom Menace, which is basically a treatise on the basic concepts of film making, as explained by a psychotic elderly gentleman obsessed with Totino's Pizza Rolls, whom is also probably a serial killer. It's genius.
    YouTube

mradmack likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

A little less chaotic (in some ways) but in the same spirit:
    Simone Giertz: at one time dubbed the Queen of $h*tty Robots for her nonsensical mechanical creations, now branching out by doing things like hacking a Tesla (literally; power tools and all) into a pickup truck. Curious to see where she goes from here. Uploads are sporadic lately due to her recent brain cancer diagnosis and treatment, but worth a follow for when she pops back up with something else creative.

jbmcb likes this.
  7. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Several of my favorites have been mentioned already, including Techmoan, 8-Bit Guy, News Be Funny, etc. Here's a few more I regularly enjoy watching:

Pecos Hank - Great storm chasing videos, mostly focusing on tornadoes and lightning. Some of the most spectacular photography/videography on YouTube. Plus Hank is a chill dude who is also a musician and has a great sense of humor. Unlike most storm chasers, he is not hyperactive and screaming during his chases.

The Proper People - Two guys who travel the world exploring abandoned factories, mines, theaters, hotels, hospitals, schools, power plants, etc. A fascinating look at the decay taking place in buildings that were once full of activity.

Daze With Jordan The Lion - Think of Adam the Woo, but with more of a focus on musicians and celebrity sites. I find Jordan grates on me a little less than Adam does. Plus he visits more places that I personally have an interest in.

Ask A Mortician - A female mortician discusses the industry, revealing a lot of information that is good to know before you have to plan a funeral for a loved one. Plus, there's lots of videos on death in general. Sounds dreary, I know, but I enjoy her sense of humor and her perspective on life.

Rob Finds Treasure - Basically it's a guy who gets rolls of coins from the bank and searches them for silver, rare dates, and rare varieties. I used to search through coins as a kid, so I find these videos addicting to watch. There are a lot of coin roll hunters on YouTube now, but Rob's videos are the best.

The Carpetbagger - Another guy in the same vein as Adam The Woo and Jordan, Jacob the Carpetbagger is a little more quirky and tends to focus more on roadside attractions and odd museums.

GTOger - Videos of cars getting towed from a parking lot at a company in the Deep Ellum neighborhood in Dallas. People are regularly parking at this company's lot without permission, as they go to nearby bars and nightclubs. The videos are edited to present a humorous look at the (often drunk) people getting towed. There's something very satisfying about seeing people park in the lot, ignore the warning signs (as if they don't apply to them), then come back a couple hours later to find their car missing. Lots of other shenanigans take place in the parking lot, including a disturbing amount of urination.

Jelle's Marble Runs - This guy sets up racetracks for marbles, then provide color commentary as the marbles race down the tracks. Strangely addicting, but also more professional than a lot of sporting broadcasts on TV these days.

Kitboga - Guy baits fake IRS scammers and fake Microsoft tech support scammers. Stings them along for hours, wasting their time so they can't scam other people. Often uses a voice processor to make him sound like an old grandmother, which only makes it more funny... as the scammers truly think they have a sucker on the line.

Nicola White Mudlarking - Lady who searches the shores of the Thames River in London during low tide, finding all sorts of cool objects from the past centuries.

1 Long 2 Short - Okay, I am biased on this one, since it's my channel. I love watching ships on the Great Lakes carrying cargo in and out of port. There's something awe inspiring about seeing those 1000-foot steel monsters glide by. So a few years back I started making video recordings of the ship whenever I am in the vicinity. A few other guys also have similar channels, but we each have different styles for recording the ships.

jbmcb likes this.
  8. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I like:
    Oddity Odysseys - they explore unusual and unique sites around Los Angeles
    ReelinInTheYears66 - world's largest library of musical footage
    Pam On The Lam - this nice lady traveled the U.S. coast to coast living in her car, she recently stopped travelling because her dog got sick

jbmcb likes this.
  9. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

I recently found this site.

Here’s a link to a fun video from it (the first one I stumbled upon), as opposed to the more common tech and science vids that abound.
    I’ll include a link to this one because it could help boredom during the lockdown:

Here’s the main site, pre-sorted by most popular:
    Tom Scott (not the musician).

Tom Scott

10. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

12. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

A channel that always has interesting videos is Useful Charts who uses custom designed charts to tackle the history of monarchies, etc.

jbmcb likes this.
  13. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident Thread Starter

How To Drink - because if it's one thing we all need is a lot more cocktail recipes.

This is my favorite mixology how-to channel, though I like BARTIMES for it's aesthetic qualities. A great series is where he makes cocktails from movies, literature or TV shows, either using the exact ingredients (Charles Dickens' mulled wine) or an educated guess (a Flaming Moe from the Simpsons.)

I've made a few of his cocktails, but so far the Dole Whip is my favorite, possibly because the original at Disney World is so fantastic:

The best part is you can whip up a batch and give half to the kids, then dump some rum in and make the rest for the adults.

14. MikeInFla

Found a new channel I enjoy. This guy recorded a ton of videos in the 80's. Basically just 80's teens having fun. He even made some movies with his friends. He's been editing video for years and even explains that some of the movies he used his Commodore Amiga. All of them are still friends and have done well in life. The kid below (Larry) is now a lawyer. Here they take a trip to the record store.

jbmcb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. MikeInFla

Here's another channel where a guy also filmed a ton in the 80's. Here he goes back and finds his binder from 1989 and explains everything in it.

jbmcb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Miranda Sings (watching it now, has a LOT of JoJo Sia collabs)
    No ******** (amusing alt.right channell with a guy, Brooks Heatherly, in a bull head)
    Provost Park Pass (family from Salt Lake City, Utah, and their largely Disney park adventures. VERY funny, and Chris and Amanda, the parents, quite the hams)
    Jenna Marbles (too bad she's almost kicked off for un p.,c.stuiff0
    iJustine
    Nostalgia Critic (good ol'Doug Walker, reviews films from different eras so we don't have to. Often joined by buddies like Tamara.)
    Oddity Archive (does a lot of budget "soundalike" record ad showcasings of "various artist" hits from the 1970s, like Q.M.O.["The Sound Effects"], Pickwick, TEJ,and the like)
    jgbennie (now no longer online, Canadian historian of Hanna-Barbera, pre-Scooby, largely Kelloggs-Screen Gems era.. blog links here. tralfaz.blogspot.com and yowyowp.blogspot.com)

Speaking of wujich, I also have my own channell...and

17. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

The History Guy - 10-15 minute videos about episodes of forgotten history. I’ll bet a lot of members here would like it.

mradmack, jbmcb and Steve Carras like this.
  18. Steve Carras

Also, several other Disneyland/World channells
    Disneylander
    Offhand Disney

also Brent Rivera and his sis Lexi Rivera

19. Steve Carras

I'm one.

alexpop likes this.
  20. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

MrJJsDrumTV-Guy who drums to the original recording of songs. He just did his 4,100 video. Mostly in the rock style but also does TV theme songs.

Sea Of Tranquility-Pete Pardo does reviews of albums, songs, concerts and musicians in a variety of ways. Top 10/20 of this and that, favorite albums of various groups from least to best. He currently is doing videos of "Deep Cut Dive" where he recommends 5 songs from famous groups that went under the radar.

City-Data.com-A huge base of forum topics not only including cities across the US but for each state, continents and a general topic forum.

21. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

Sorry, City Data is just a website, not a You Tube Channel. But if you are looking for a time killer this is it.

22. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

Cool 3D World

23. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

24. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Hilary Hahn! Yeah!

25. townsend

townsend Senior Member

The Lion Whisperer: YouTube
    This is the channel of Kevin Richardson, who is a South African who has devoted his life to taking care of some wild orphaned cats that he has grown up with. He also interacts with hyenas. He is incredible and so are the lions, leopards, and hyenas.

Dom Tomato: a parkour athelete (Red Bull is one of his sponsors): YouTube
    He makes it fun, but beneath all the humor, is one serious athlete. Very talented.

Storror: STORROR
    A team (six or seven) of British parkour athletes. They have even broken into the big time when Michael Bay hired them to do some stunts for an upcoming movie. Again, serious athletic chops, and they keep it interesting.

My Self Reliance: YouTube
    A single middle-agish man living somewhere in the Canadian wilderness independently (he has a wife, but she doesn't want to live there full time). He built everything himself and is seeking to be as self-reliant as possible. He has a precious golden retriever living with him. From construction to gardening, he does it all.

Living off Grid with Jake and Nicole: Living Off Grid w/ Jake & Nicole
    A young couple who are somewhere in the Canadian wilderness seeking to "live off the grid" (who would have guessed?). Jake is actually very versatile -- he knows a lot about a lot of things. That his companion is attractive adds to the appeal of the channel. They literally have to take a boat ride (they have an pontoon boat) to get to "civilization" (like when Nicole cut her knee and needed stitches).

jbmcb and turnersmemo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.