The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

I appreciate it!

That is quite interesting. I would be very surprised if this were caused by how the motor is mounted, however. I have experienced bearing play in a couple of vintage turntables, and that’s exactly what this felt like.

It did not feel like when a platter has just a bit of “give”; when there is some slight movement but no clicking noise and it immediately returns to position.

On both examples I could also hear some noise from the motor if I put my ear to the platter, and it was very noticeable at 78 rpm.

2. substance

substance Active Member

Wow, perfect! Thanks for this video ❤️
    Where was the GR made?

Are there any settings to control up and down speed?

3. JP

JP Forum Resident

Not all that far from MK3 territory…

mackat likes this.
  4. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Japan, but they are all the same.
    No speed adjustment, only height.
    That is 15 mm, spec is 8-13 mm
    This gives a bit more time

substance and recstar24 like this.
  5. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Idk but the platter on my 1200G is just rigid.
    Doesn’t rock or anything similar when touched.
    Maybe if you firmly push down on the rim, but you’re not supposed to do that anyways.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

On my GR it works identical to yours, I've never adjusted anything and it works fine even though I've raised the platter height by an additional 4mm.

Ingenieur likes this.
  7. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Maybe I missed something but I don’t think the complaints about the cueing lever are that it isn’t functional, just that it’s kind of wonky and cheap on an otherwise machine precise device.

formu_la, HiFi Guy, utahusker and 2 others like this.
  8. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

Very strange and very much unlike other accounts of these turntables.

Did you happen to notice if their S/N were close? ..I'm wondering if they were close in production sequence.

9. Ingenieur

Complaints about something that functions perfectly? Because of some unidentifiable perception of 'quality'?
    It lowers the arim
    It raises the arm
    Quality is the functionality.

10. Ingenieur

agree
    mine is rock solid.
    I posted video of the runout +/- a few 1000th
    I can adjust level using a laser level to 0.0 deg on 4 axis and check it weeks later and has no varied.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Agree. A user interface issue. Doesn't inspire confidence. A Mk II's feels confident, and precise.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

In the end I think the new lifter technology on these is akin to an experiment, it combines the hydraulic aspect with a mechanical aspect as there is a cog wheel of some sort laced with some fluid.
    The old tried and true technology is purely hydraulic and when in effect works really well at slowing decent.

I'm just guessing that it's an experiment of course, but it is what it is I guess.

13. Ingenieur

I have extra Matt's height too.
    5 mm Oyaide and 3 mm cork to get my AT33 close.
    I raised the cuing to compensate.

14. Ingenieur

inspire confidence?
    It is not an issue imo
    It raises the arm cleanly
    Lowers it slowly
    Straight up and down, no drift, within 1-2 grooves

I'm familiar with the term precision, I measure XP enclosures with tolerances of 0.004" so stuff doesn't blow up in hazardous environments.
    This is a mid level TT

15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So my total is 3mm cork, 1mm Washi and 3mm stock, the funny thing is that with the SAE 1000LT mounted on a AT-LH13 headshell, I have the VTA all the way down at zero to get a level tonearm.

Ingenieur likes this.
  16. Ingenieur

My total 8, 5 over oem.
    oem headshell
    Set at 1.5 on the dial

ubiknik likes this.
  17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Can I put it in my language better. (worth understanding). Universal Design. Accessible, Functional, feels confident, and precise. Logical, Practical, Rational. Have you ever owned or used a Technics SL-1200 or SL-1200 Mk II? I have. I've lived with them many years. I use one every day. Often frequently that day. I respect the improvements with the SL-1200G and SL-1200GR. But that cueing lever is functional, it works, But it lacks refinement, feel and ergonomics. In short, the last refinement which takes it from Great, to Bespoke!

18. Ingenieur

In my world of Sigma 6, Demming, etc. quality is determined by functionality not impressions.
    Performance is verifiable
    Impressions vary, good to one, is bad to another

For an example, one might say an M3 is not as refined as a Ferrari. That means nothing because it is subjective.

I guess it's me, I just don't understand what people expect from such a simple mechanism that functions perfectly and has nothing to do with the actual primary performance parameter of the device: play an lp with constant speed and low noise/rumble/W&F, etc.

For a 20 minute lp cuing is <5 seconds of it and really occurs before and after so not part of the actual playback. And pulling the lp, removing from sleeve, placing/removing, cleaning the lp, etc. it becomes even less. Perhaps 5 sec out of 25 minutes. It seems a very small % to focus on?

Pushing/raising the lever 2 seconds out of 1500?
    Never even thought about it until reading some of these posts.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    Slick Willie and ubiknik like this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I use that cueing lever as often as every 2:00 many times in an hour or 90 minutes. 45 RPM singles. My ergonomics and universal design trumps Six Sigma (and I love Six Sigma like crazy). Do you own anything which is bespoke, built by human hands, just for you and you alone?.

My TiLite/Permobil Aero Z II wheelchair (Kennewick/Pasco, Washington) and my Ride Designs Java custom cushion (Aspen, CO, Tom Hetzel, PT, Assistive Technology Professional), are just that. My 2006 Six Sigma Toyota Sienna minivan has custom adaptive equipment. (Sure Grip, Howell Ventures of Canada) and built just for me. "Feet Optional". #MLutthans and I share a private in-joke. I am sort of Nicknamed Kennewick Man II.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  20. drmevo

drmevo Forum Resident

On my GR example, before I adjusted it from the way it came from the factory (which was stylus about 9mm above the record surface in the up position, VTA at 0 with stock mat, headshell and 17mm tall cart) the bottom half of the lever’s travel essentially did nothing, and the stylus dropped rather abruptly when lowering the lever quickly. Once I raised to 13-14mm by backing out the adjustment screw, just about the whole range of the lever moved the tone arm up or down and flicking the lever down quickly resulted in a nice, slow descent.

There is still that odd bit at the very top where the lever doesn’t quite stay all the way up, but it doesn’t bother me. I’m happy with it now.

McLover likes this.
  21. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

The cog wheel of the cueing mechanism in the Mk7, 100C, 1500C & the GR is the hydraulic damper.These tiny cog wheels are two a penny and have unreliable damping action, especially dependent on ambient temperature. Mine drops much more quickly in the summer.

22. Ingenieur

imho.the functionality > form
    It seems to function perfectly.
    I can't comment on the subjective impression of 'feel' of others. It doesn't feel like anything to me, just a mechanical operation. The steering of my AMG is a different matter; some will like it, some not, some won't care. But that has nothing to do with its quality.

I guess we have different priorities, no right or wrong, just opinions.

23. Ingenieur

hydraulics vary with temperature, but my home is maintained 70 F +/- 2 deg.
    I have not noticed any difference, but have not timed with mS precision.

24. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

The cueing mechanism on the 1200G is an exact copy of the original MK2’s.
    Feels exactly identical, unless it’s not properly filled with damping fluid.

McLover likes this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I like ya, I respect ya, I will meet you halfway. I can compromise, like no other. Let's respect each other's side of this. I respect yours. LOVE back at you!