The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Technocentral likes this.
  2. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I didn't buy the Vinyl Source protractor but instead used a printed download of the same geometry, on my GR the already aligned by the jig stylus hit the arc and null points spot on.

So you and aunitedlemon have this discrepancy where they are not the same which means possibilities of a couple things: 1. the protractor is possibly using the wrong geometry (unlikely but possible, maybe check to see if the null points and arc are what they are supposed to be).
    2. both of you have tonearms that are too long for some reason.
    If your tonearm is too long by a couple of mm then it makes sense to just use the protractor, this guarantees proper geometry for alignment, whereas the jig won't be any help.

3. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Started from scratch again. The cart was set up on the Technics gauge, played around with it on the protractor once more. It seems to be good at the outer most edge of the arc, the first null point too. The second null point it’s about 0.5-1mm forward, the spindle about 1-2mm forward. It’s all lined up precisely, sounds good to me so I’m just going to leave it there… I’m not playing records at the point of the spindle so not worried about that. Due for a cartridge change soon so I will have another go at it then.

4. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Me too.
    That's what's happening in this house too.
    No resolution but I'm happier w/ my alignments knowing the stylus is accurately tracing the arc.

I bought another Technigs jig (I now have 3) and received a replacement Zupreme 10 g headshell as the first one I received was deemed out of tolerance by LP Gear. Today I aligned 4 cartridges to 4 headshells. Carts are all Audio Technica (750SH, AT33Sa, ART9XI and XA) and the headshells are; 2 Technics, 1 AT HS-10, and the Zupreme. My results are consistent. No matter which cart or headshell, after aligning the stylus to the arc w/ the cartridge square w/in the headshell, the stylus comes up a couple of mm short of the offset target mark on the Technics jig. Curious that @theMot is experiencing a similar discrepancy. Seems there could be a common error between us.
    Whatever it is, it doesn't bother me at this point. It'd be nice to not have this discrepancy but, the music is sounding so very good all across the LP's that I can definitely live w/ what I'm hearing.
    I got into some speaker rake angle adjustments today too so I'm happily listening to the days efforts. I have to say, the ART9XA is a tremendous cartridge. Doing lots of comparative cart listening today and the XA really works for me.

Jasonbraswell and theMot like this.
  5. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

What's your gain? Really curious about trying the XA.

6. drmevo

drmevo Forum Resident

You both have a G/GAE, correct? Any other G owners reading this that are using the Vinyl Source protractor and comparing to the gauge?

aunitedlemon and ubiknik like this.
  7. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

I have the G.

8. aunitedlemon

71 dB available but 68 sounds best to me.
    Correct. GAE here.

this_machine likes this.
  9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Made in Malaysia or Japan?

10. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I believe GAE was limited only made in Japan

RWBadley and snorker like this.
  11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

1200GAE is Japanese but the 1210GAE is Malaysian.

Pmds55889397 likes this.
  12. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Japan.

ubiknik likes this.
  13. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

Sorry - not correct, my 1210GAE is MiJ.

aunitedlemon, snorker and ubiknik like this.
  14. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

While prob true, I thought that the made in date is not about model but date built The 1210 may have been offered during the MIJ years. GAE

15. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I'm not planning on anything for the foreseeable future, but I started wondering today. If you had $1000ish to spend, would it be best to buy a used GR or spend the money on a top notch tonearm for a 1210 mk2?

16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

My 1210GAE was also made in Japan. In fact they all were. That was the last run of them made in Japan.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    Big Blue, Oelewapper and aunitedlemon like this.
  17. aunitedlemon

GAE's were all made in Japan, as I understand it.

snorker likes this.
  18. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

For me (IMO) mk2 remains the reference for ever (i used to have a G and i have a M7L and a GR).

IainS and aorecords like this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The reference has always been the SP10 and now the SP10R.

20. JP

JP Forum Resident

Depends on which SP-10…

21. T86911

T86911 Well-Known Member

Sure that's why i say IMO.

22. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo

In a perfect world, I'd have a SL-1000R with an extra Ikeda IT-407.

Oelewapper and Classicrock like this.
  23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

OK, so you both have a Japan made deck, and it is looking like your tonearms are a bit longer than they should be (as far as we know).
    Any other Japan made G/GAE owners get the VS protractor?

24. goonybird

goonybird Forum Resident

Originally posted on ART9 thread. But using sl1200G
    Couldn't get on with ART9XA so sold on mainly due to SUT hum. Bought good used ART9 (original) and had problems with sound straight in my CJ EV1 Phono, pre set on 100 or 470 ohms it sounded bland
    Using EAR MC3 at 10x sounded too bright. and 20x sounded better but bland.
    Cartridge was set in Technics headshell using supplied gauge thingamyjig.
    Acquired an old ADC alignment gauge with null points at 66.04 and 120.9 which I believe is baerwald and also have a plastic gauge similar
    Set ART9 to this, resetting downforce, and if by magic sound is spot on into 10x SUT. This was like night and day difference - where I can't tell differences in VTA
    or downforce variations

JonT likes this.
  25. IainS

IainS Forum Resident

How did the G and the GR compare for you?