Tony Iommi remixing Black Sabbath's "Forbidden"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sentient Six, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Unlikely, given that Tony and Mike Exeter were reportedly doint the remix already, and no re-recording was mentioned be anybody.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd love for Martin to redo some of the vocals. They sound like scratch tracks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I’m inclined to doubt he would ever remix anything beyond Forbidden. The other one was Born Again but unless the multis magically surface, that is an idea that is dead.

I just meant that with the remix “fad” he might figure he could at least do the one record that troubles him. And I think Forbidden does. You listen to “Kiss Of Death” and Cozy Powell is absolutely putting on a clinic, but his drums are flat as a pancake.

4. And Martin said he would like to do that. Regrettably there's nothing to suggest Iommi is interested in that. If Iommi had given him his OK for re-doing the vocals, Martin would have posted the news on his Facebook account within the hour. Except Iommi had FORBIDDEN him to do that. ;-)

5. Ah, OK, got it. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

All this talk of a Forbidden remix, I hope they're going to put out expanded editions of the other Martin albums too. I've been waiting for a deluxe edition of Headless Cross for years.

7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

It was great that the Tony Iommi/Glenn Hughes bootleg "Eighth Star" got an official release as the DEP Sessions, but I didn't like the re-recorded drumming myself. Granted, that Iommi had Dave Holland's work removed due to his alleged status as a child molester which was a shame, but I found Jimmy Copley's drumming okay but it sounded rather bright and tinny to me. Also missed Don Airey's keyboard contributions which Iommi clearly had them buried in the mix. :(

Looking forward to this Forbidden remix. I do wonder if Cozy had multiple takes which could make the album a little interesting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Hmmmm, 2019 is almost over, still no release date announced for the Forbidden remix...

9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Seems like it isn't going to happen this year, unfortunately.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I thought Dehumanizer was next? Wendy Dio has been discussing it recently.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate and JediJoker like this.
  12. Wendy's announcement surprised me anyway, because actually Dehumanizer has just been re-released by Rhino:
    New Rhino 2xCD release of Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer album - which mastering is used?

Maybe she doesn't know about the Rhino release? And/or maybe the planned release she's referring to is European, so she's not connecting the two?

Matthew Tate, Curveboy and JediJoker like this.
  13. Riffraff03

Riffraff03 Forum Resident

There is an april 2020 update on the Forbidden remix over at Black-Sabbath.com:

Not all that long ago, I got word that the remix for Forbidden is complete. When will it be released? Who knows. As I’ve said above, the Martin re-releases won’t be the highest priority, but I have been assured (this year even) that it is still happening. I wish I had better news, but I don’t. Other than to say it’s guaranteed to still happen.

I know covid-19 is causing a lot of delays, and yes, he’s working from home, but I know of some other things he’s working on first (no, I can’t say what they are). I wish this project was top of the pile, but it isn’t. Have to get used to that. :(

Source:

Tony Martin IRS Era Deluxe Editions – Black Sabbath Online

Leigh Burne, FVDnz, Purple and 8 others like this.
  14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Good news...I think

Sean, FVDnz, Purple and 3 others like this.
  15. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I don't know how anyone can accurately say this release is 'guaranteed to still happen'.

16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Not to go a little off topic, but for the love of god am I the only person that thinks Illusion Of Power is a sick track? I love how dark it is and the rapping or whatever fits it and adds to the evilness of it. Can't wait for a remix so it doesnt SOUND like crap though :D

Sean and blacksabbathrainbow like this.
  17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I love "Illusion Of Power" and "Kiss Of death."

First and last tracks for me. Not much of what is in between although nothing on it is "bad" or anything.

The remix is pointless, IMO. The problem with Forbidden is the material, first and foremost.

18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Respectfully disagree :)

In my opinion the material is generally ok, sometimes really good, but of course never classic. But I think the production/mix is exceptionally thin and "small" sounding. I'd love to hear it sound more like Cross Purposes or something.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Thank you very much for the info, I wasn't aware of that update at all (no surprise, as Siegler didn't exactly place it prominently on his site).

Exactly. Siegler is saying that there is "some other things" that Iommi is "working on first" and that "the Martin re-releases won’t be the highest priority" - which are just two more ways of saying what we already knew about the Martin-era Deluxe releases: it is absolutely not clear that they will ever happen. Only one thing here is news: sounds to me like Siegler is insinuating that the Forbidden remix will only be released when the entire Martin-era Deluxe project is happening - which would seem to be bad news for anyone waiting for that remix.

I love Illusion of Power. I am curious for the remix but I don't feel it is needed. More interested in possible bonus tracks as several unreleased tracks have been rumored to exist from the Forbidden sessions.

I agree those two tracks are definitely among the best on Forbidden, though there's more that I like (esp. Can't Get Close Enough and Rusty Angels), and the mix is fine.

20. Given that the remix is allegedly finished, I am wondering why everything needs to be delayed again. I mean, sometimes it sounds like Tony will personally be doing all the work required to make the Martin-era reissues/Deluxes happen. If that's the case, I have no idea why. Wouldn't it be much more common to authorize someone other than Tony to compile bonus material and yet another person to remaster the albums, so Tony would only need to check and approve or suggest changes? Sure, there may still be issues with rights to sort out first, and maybe some of the potential bonus material is buried somewhere in Tony's basement; but rights would seem to be his his management's and lawyers' domain, and I am sure someone could help him search his basement. I am wondering if some kind of control mania is going on on Tony's part... Which might explain why we didn't get any 50th anniversary Super Deluxe release of the s/t debut either...

21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think the reason there wasn’t any 50th anniversary of the s/t was that there’s nothing new left in the vault, and maybe they learned their lesson with Paranoid in that regard.

Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  22. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

I read on Loudwire the release was supposed to be 2019. Maybe one more of those unreleased (remix) albums. Saw Sabbath live in 1993 with Tony Martin.

23. Questions

Questions New Member

Didn't they report that the multi tracks could not be located? (Born Again)

24. That was recently discussed here:
    Black Sabbath Paranoid Super Deluxe Edition coming in November

It is definitely not true that there's nothing left in the vault. There's the Brussels aka Paris 1970 video. There's the Majda Vale 1969 radio session. There's multiple takes of "The Rebel". There are very likely "Song for Jim", "When I Came Down" and other early demos. Let alone stuff from later years, like the amazing complete Asbury Park 1975 show, Pittsburgh 1976 and Pittsburgh 1978, California Jam 1974... Plus, thanks to the Paranoid Super Deluxe 4xCD box set we now for sure now that WB owns a great-sounding tape source of the Paranoid Quad mix which would definitely deserve a proper multichannel release.

Sean and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Probably 1994? They didn't tour in 1993.

Matthew Tate likes this.