Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Thank you for your comments on SQ. We need more like these in our thread. I see, I have to dig deeper Danger Money...

Please see The Complete List of MQA UHQCD (Post #2215), maybe you can find something interesting.
    New releases are coming... Equipment... It's been 10 years since old SHM-SACD project started, the new converters now do even better job than before.
    I compared the newest Japanese transfer to my Reference Demo SACD with mind-blowing result:
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ultimate-hqcd-uhqcd-new-cd-format-king-crimson-on-uhqcd-and-more.576237/page-67 Post #1657-58

Please visit this thread from time to time... MQA UHQCD is no worse than SHM-SACD / Pt SHM-CD, but can be even better.

Glen Mulder and Jagger69 like this.
  2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I've been following all the threads on these various format discs since upgrading my CD/SACD player to a level comparable to that of my turntable (thanks for keeping us so well informed!). Admittedly, I'm mainly interested in the flat transfers only (as I strongly dislike modern mastering styles outside of what the audiophile labels do), and will choose SACD over redbook if they share the same mastering. But since the SHM SACD format seems tragically to have been abandoned for rock and jazz reissues, I'll still check to see if albums I love are released in flat or old-school, non-brickwalled masterings in these "new" redbook formats.

gjuro76, Jagger69 and toilet_doctor like this.
  3. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

More MQA UHQCDS are due for release in October, the full Creedance Clearwater Revival catalogue, using the 2018 remasters as used for the half speed masters vinyl lp, thing still moving on the MQA-CD front.

Rigoberto, ispace, sacdfan and 4 others like this.
  4. toilet_doctor

This is a very significant for MQA UHQCDs move - we will talk soon.

Jagger69, gjuro76 and swintonlion like this.
  5. sacdfan

sacdfan Forum Resident

Hi swintonlion. Just wondered whether you have a link for these releases. I couldn’t see anything on D.C. Japan.

6. sacdfan

sacdfan Forum Resident

Everything’s ok. I’ve just seen toilet_doctor’s post under japan mini-lp shm topic.

toilet_doctor and swintonlion like this.
  7. toilet_doctor

Universal announced the Creedence Clearwater Revival MQA UHQCD 7 albums collection in Mini LP with so-called half-speed mastering done at Abbey Road Studios for the 50th Anniversary Edition by Craft Recordings in 2018.
    As with George Harison's Capitol LP release, CCR 2018 CDs were never released.
    Another important point: this release marks the next big step forward for MQA physical media, demonstrating the firm decision Universal has made to continue with a new project - the Mini LP MQA UHQCD sets.
    The price is also very reasonable, around $27 - about $3 more than the Mini LP SHM-CD.

Oct. 28, 2020

(Mini LP MQA UHQCD)
    CCR Suzy Q
    CCR Bayou Country
    CCR Green River + 5
    CCR Willie and the Poor Boys
    CCR Cosmo’s Factory
    CCR Pendulum
    CCR Mardi Gras

All details and pictures at
    Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more Posts #1139-41.

ispace likes this.
  8. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^^^ IMO, you're not making a lot of sense posting about new UHQCD releases in SHM-CD thread (& vice versa)... Keep them separate (or merge 2 threads otherwise).

sacdfan, gjuro76 and Echo like this.
  9. toilet_doctor

Japan Mini LP SHM-CD thread and Japan Mini LP UHQCD/MQA UHQCD releases

"Don't judge anyone unless you've
    walked in their moccasins one moon."
    (Native American Proverb)

Japanese Mini LPs have been around since 1995. In their first life cycle, regular CDs were replaced by SHM-CDs. I started that thread, because George Harrison newly remastered catalog nowhere was published on CDs, but in Japan, as the Mini LP release. As time goes by, I see more and more unique to Japan releases, and I decided to cover them as well.
    The new CCR Mini LP MQA UHQCD set is one of such (only in Japan) releases.
    When I started the thread I could not predict the appearance of Mini LP MQA UHQCDs - that's why they are not in the thread name.
    We are witnessing the start of a second Mini LP life cycle. Over time, all Mini LP SHM-CDs will be replaced by Mini LP UHQCD/MQA UHQCDs with their cost like SHM now.
    When this happens, I will ask the administration to change the name of the Mini LP thread.

The Mini LP thread currently covers all Japan Mini LP releases, including Sony Blu-spec CD2 (David Gilmour and Syd Barrett sets are on the way)
    Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more Post #1089
    and Hybrid SACDs, which are packaged in 7-inch deluxe sleeves. All 3 major labels took part in this series. They all are collector's items and I want to let people know:
    7" Mini LP Hybrid SACD Series
    (Complete list with the year of remastering)
    Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more Post #940.

So far, it is only a Japan Mini LP thread on the forum, which represented almost all editions of the Japanese Mini LP in details.
    It makes sense and fans. Because all Mini LP collectors are interested in Mini LP of their favorites, especially when they are long out of print and run from $55 to $90 on the market. And if Mini LP collectors are fine with SHM Mini LP releases with a new flat transfer and further Japanese mastering (like it was in 2019), why would they be against MQA UHQ Mini LPs with a new transfer and half speed mastering by Abbey Road studios?
    So, I feel obligated to provide the info about these releases not only here, but in Mini LP thread. These are limited editions and have to be purchased on time. Does it make sense?

On the other hand, I cannot merge the two threads, as many UHQCD/MQA UHQCDs are not Mini LPs and Mini LP collectors are not interest in them at all. So, we can talk about them here.
    Does it make sense?
    The List of Japan Mini LP UHQCD/MQA UHQCDs will be in both threads with discussion in the Mini LP thread.

I don't feel the need to change (radically) anything yet.

10. gjuro76

gjuro76 Forum Resident

Maybe would be good to change the other topic from Japan Mini LP SHM-CD to Japan Mini LP CDs.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  11. toilet_doctor

Japan Mini LP CDs mean regular CDs that Japanese have been releasing for years.

Jagger69 and zappaien like this.
  12. gjuro76

gjuro76 Forum Resident

Just arrived. Thnx toilet_doctor for advice...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure there is a topic for Spanish cd labels jazz reissues, so sorry if this is OT.

Jagger69 and Kopczas like this.
  13. toilet_doctor

(off-topic info)
    There are two threads about Vocal Jazz.
    The first covers 33 the most famous female singers of the past:
    From Anita & Ella To Nina & Sassy: Celebrated Songstresses Of Jazz & Standards
    The second covers the rest of them:
    Obscure & Neglected Female Singers Of Jazz & Standards (1930s to 1960s)
    I learned a lot from these threads, singers I never knew existed - I fell in love with them, bought their CDs and really enjoy them.
    In the first thread, please check out the posts on the “Complete” series called "Precious and Rare" by the French label Le Cant de Monde from the original masters.
    Deluxe series for all collectors, best sound sources, recently updated rare audio material, 32-page booklets with many invisible documents and detailed inserts...”
    This series was a limited edition, not available for sale outside Europe (Post #75 and others).
    I am blessed to have all 16 2CD multi-panel digipacks with great sound. Each title is The Complete recordings. Try to find some…
    Jazz and Conversations is a thread about Instrumental Jazz.

Jagger69, ispace and gjuro76 like this.
  14. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Please let us know your thoughts on the State of Art CD for The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery when you have a chance.

15. Kopczas

Kopczas No nonsense audiophile

I received my from ebay today. It sounds decent, very "analogie" for me, clarity is very good. I`m very happy with that one.
    I guess that original recording wasn`t state of the art, there`s some wow and flutter from analog tape transfer. I can`t compare it to any other release unfortunatly.

Edmoney, toilet_doctor and gjuro76 like this.
  16. gjuro76

gjuro76 Forum Resident

Same here. Very analogue. And very good. B+

17. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

How does it compare to other versions (if you own or have heard any)?

gjuro76 likes this.
  18. gjuro76

gjuro76 Forum Resident

Sorry, this are the only ones I have. I am not the kind of guy who purchases same album in few edition. I buy one and that's it.

Few more things:
    1. When I listened to Julie London cd, 1st song on album - Cry me a river - had some clicks like it was transfered from vinyl. That is audible in first few seconds, so it's possibly vinyl transfer.
    2. On Wes Montgomery cd, there is two versions of D-natural blues. Original version is a second track on album, and no. 9 is a bonus from Montgomery Brothers album Groove Yard. That bonus version sounds better than same song from the original album, more air, palbabity and groove from drums. Despite that original is mono (I like great mono records like Bill Evans Village Vanguard live on Platinum-SHM), and bonus version is stereo. I believe that bonus song was taken from JVC XRCD.
    3. Listened to these Crackerjack spanish cd's (i have seven albums), sound on all of them has some brightness in high tones that can in a moment be little too much if your hifi system is on neutral side.
    That is just my opinion, thnx for reading.

Edmoney and toilet_doctor like this.
  19. ispace

ispace Senior Member

I wonder if tape remediation technologies like Plangent Process will become more critical as tapes age & deteriorate?

jhm and toilet_doctor like this.
  20. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Having now done a shootout with two vinyl masterings and the original CD version of Danger Money, I have to amend my previous post somewhat. While my initial sonic impressions of the SHM-SACD remain valid in an absolute sense (and in comparison to many other SHM SACD flat-transfers, including the one for the debut album), it nonetheless seems to be the best sounding available version of this album on my current set-up. Both vinyl masterings (original US Polygram and somewhat later Editions EG) had a powerful drum sound, but the vocal and the cymbals had a somewhat etched treble "edge" to them. It wasn't a bad listen with either of them, but they sounded pretty unnatural. The original JEM Records CD was smoother, even a bit rolled off in the treble, but sounded kind of thin and uninvolving. The SHM SACD, by contrast, was almost the opposite of the CD, with a slightly oversaturated or overly "tubey" midrange, but it sounded far more weighty, present, and alive than the redbook CD, and without the unnatural top end of either LP. So it turns out that I have to recommend the SHM SACD (and presumably, any other format pressings using the same flat transfer) after all.

I'm honestly, truly surprised at just how great most of these flat transfers sound on SHM SACD. I'd long assumed that most master tapes would need some degree of sonic adjustment by a mastering engineer to sound their best, but so many of these I've heard (various titles from Roxy Music, Van Der Graaf Generator, Buggles, UK, Gentle Giant, Mike Oldfield, the Police, and more) sound amazing that it really makes me wish all albums (at least, those from the analog era) would be reissued as flat transfers of the master (or best available) tapes.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Kopczas and gjuro76 like this.
  21. gjuro76

gjuro76 Forum Resident

Just wondering, did someone compared same title which is issued on UHQCD and UHQCD/MQA non decoded?

And how good is the sound quality of UHQCD (without MQA) for half the price of UHQCD/MQA cd's?

I believe that we still don't have the list of alone UHQCD discs w/year of remastering...

22. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Wow! I can finally replace those bland sounding Analogue Productions CCR SACDs!

Mardi Gras

RnRmf likes this.
  23. toilet_doctor

24. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I decided to pass on the Patti Page.

25. toilet_doctor

I will do it then. Just putting together my big order for September.

Kopczas likes this.