Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dolsey01, Mar 12, 2019.

1. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I listened on my desktop system, but not my main one, so I can't be 100% sure, but via Amazon streaming they both sounded pretty compressed/brickwalled to me, especially the Virus. That sounds like what you describe, and why so many people here hate excessive compression. Now, you said you are listening on vinyl, but if a compressed digital master is cut to vinyl, it will still sound pretty compressed. If I may make a gratuitous comment about the music itself , I rather liked the Threshold (for metal), but the Virus....???? ;)

nosliw likes this.
  2. chronic

chronic Member

Of course - everybody should have his own view for the music. I'm listening to everything I like. I am also a classical musician (piano). I love Killing Joke for their rawness.I don't listen to vinyls. they are too uncomfortable for me.

I am aware that the recordings are of different quality. however, the dynamics factor has nothing to do with it. I have stuff that has a high (bad) dynamics index (dr. loudness), but they play on the Lintons great.
    the problem begins when the recordings have a large, full, warm, midrange - then in the Lintons there is no room for bass and trebles. but im still fighting with this.

3. bgiliberti

If you are interested, can you post a few more songs for me to listen to on my main system tonight, which uses Harbeth 30s, which are somewhat similar to the Lintons? Feel free to PM if you prefer.

PS: I assume you live in Lyon, France? I love that city, and must gain 10 pounds every time we go there. The downtown promenade with all the patisserie and little food stores, is so much fun too.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  4. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I have lived in Lyon in the 80s... Nice town and yes good food. Probably a lot of good hi-fi too, but I was too young to appreciate it...

5. bgiliberti

So, I finally listened to Threshold on my Harbeth 30s, and it sounded somewhat muddy in the middle due to the dense mix. There is quite a bit of deep bass there along with the densely packed midrange. , Quite demanding on two way or small three way. Klipsch are made for that type of music.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  6. drew phillips

drew phillips Forum Resident

Are these beauties too big for nearfield listening.

7. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Definetly, you meed to be at least 2 metres away.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  8. core3m

core3m Active Member

Hi,
    Did You already tried Linton's with Leak gear ?

9. John Murray

John Murray Forum Resident

I just had someone online comment that the Wharfedale Lintons won't due my new amp justice. Not sure if that's the case. The synergy sounds good to my ears. Picked up the new Yamaha A S1200 over the summer. The comment stated that I needed a higher priced speaker to accomdate the amp. Not sure if I totally agree with this as the Linton's sound great and fit well in my living room.

10. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

The Lintons sound much more expensive than they are, case closed. ;-)

11. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Yeah basically same amps, I think the 701 lacks the USB feature in the DAC, and it lacks bluetooth capability (still need to use a separate device for it to work I think).

12. happysunshine

happysunshine Tillverkningen av Salubrin startades 1893

I cancelled my order for the Leak after seeing this review on Youtube. The reviewer claimed the Leak is very in your face and lively. The October issue of Hi Fi World magazine did however love it and gave it a five star rating. My Linton's sound better and better so I think I'll keep my Cambridge CXA81.

gwompek and Rick58 like this.
  13. gwompek

gwompek Forum Resident

I would love to pair that amp with my Lintons. If you put any stock in Stereophile reviews, Herb Reichert felt the Lintons were at their absolute best with the Pass Labs XA25 which sells for ~$5000 USD. From what I understand the Lintons scale very well with high quality amplification.

I have been listening to my Lintons for about a month now and am very satisfied. They aren't perfect, but they do so many things right for me that it is very easy to overlook the "faults". I will be posting my overall impressions soon.

John Murray, bgiliberti and Rick58 like this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have put the speaker first school of thought to bed. I'm source first then amp then speakers. There are now plenty affordable well designed speakers that improve with good amplification. In fact many need an amp with real driving ability which are usually quite costly. There are absolute bargains that do this going back to the original NAD 3020 but generally I would spend more on an amp than speakers to fit a limited budget. Current Wharfedales seem to like a really good amp. I'm running Evo 4.4 (£1200) with Musical Fidelity M6500 (£4000). I think these offer more than Lintons for similar money.

15. bgiliberti

I respect your views for your own system, and over the years I too have come more to recognize the subtle differences an amp with adequate power and first rate parts can make to the overall sound. That said, just for kicks, I recently hooked my daughter's $300 Yamaha N-303 stereo receiver up to my Harbeth 30. The music did sound a bit less free and open than with my 250wpc Conrad-Johnson SS power amp, but really, but still a very nice sounding system, and still very Harbeth. The quality offered by inexpensive amps from good manufacturers today is amazing. I am still a speaker first believer, with upgrades to the amp and source as funds/savings allow.

16. gwompek

gwompek Forum Resident

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by sharing this, but a heads up for anyone on the fence about buying a set. Music Direct has a used set with stands on eBay for $999 + $55 shipping. That is an amazing deal.

dolsey01 and John Murray like this.
  17. brownmagic

brownmagic Well-Known Member

Wow - This is a pretty serious Linton thread. I have been toying with the idea of a 2nd setup for my study which is where I spend most of my time these days due to working from home. I have a serious rig in my main living room which is audiophile in every way. I have documented that journey here Line Magnetic LM-88IA Integrated Vacuum Tube Amplifier

My study/office is 16 x 8 ( I will post pics later). I can get about 6 feet distance between the speakers and the distance from the listening position would be around 9 feet. It is not a perfect triangle. So I have been trying to get something which sounds very different to my main rig. I do not want an audiophile system in this space. What I am aiming for is a forgiving setup. I want to use this setup to just have fun while im working. I do not want it to drag me into it for any analysis. I initially wanted to get a Klipsh Heresy with a SET amp but the Heresys are more than what I want to spend (they are expensive here in Singapore). I then considered the Tekton Lore with an audio vista spark which I felt could be a cheap and cheerful setup. I have not heard it and id be buying it blind. The cost of shipping it to Singapore kind put me off so dropped the Tekton idea. Ive then read about these BBC monitors and there are some Chinese replicas LS3/5A (Sound Artist, Muzishare) which are well reviewed but I didn't want to get stands and then go through the whole hassle of positioning them and which stands etc etc. I wanted a simple plonk set and listen solution because in my main rig, im constantly working on the hobby so I don't want to to do it again. Also id be buying them blind and they are not dirt cheap for me to experiment with. Then I found these lintons which would go so well with my don draper alter ego. I am also trying to setup my office with some mid century theme so visually in my head I wanted these. Ive not heard them yet because Im trying to convince myself that I don't need a B system.

So it would be great if you could help me with some of these questions.

1) Will these work in my room? I am hearing that there is bass boom for some. My room is pretty well damped with carpets and a couch and thick curtains. I can't spend any money on treatments but can use the experience of people in trying to fix the room to an extent.

2) With regards to amp, I have a peachtree nova 300 which I sold to a buddy but he will be taking it off my hands only in about 6 months or so. He is locked out the country due to Covid travel regulations. Eventually I will need an amp. From what Ive read, IAG group gear seems to pair well with these. The AudioLab 6000A, The Quad Vena II and The Leak Stereo 130. I love the looks of the Leak and they will fight right into the theme. I was told that all these 3 amps are the same exact hardware just dressed differently. Anyone has any experience with the Quads or the Leak? Should we trust the manufacturer when they say that the Linton works very well with their own product. Assuming their own gear was used to voice them? Any other amps in the same price range that you would recommend? I have used the Marantz PM6006 and my guess is that they might make the sound too dark. Is it true that the lintons would be best served by a forward amp to get the best "synergy"?

I read how some say that the LS50 costs the same but sounds better. Maybe it does, but I do not want the LS50 sound because that is the type of sound that I have in my main rig and I want something very very different. I would be playing music via Tidal/Spotify through a Chromecast audio (the small lil puck) connected to the dac of the integrated. I am also open to a pure analog amp if it falls in the same price range as the ones mentioned above.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance. Cheers

18. bgiliberti

The LS50 sounds like the Elac Adante AF61 floorstander???

19. Hydrology

Hydrology Forum Resident

The Leak will wipe the floor with the Cambridge. I speak from experience.

Rick58 likes this.
  20. brownmagic

Should have told you that I had the LS50 wireless for 3 months before I returned it. What I meant is I don’t want a speaker that ticks the audiophile boxes. I also had a pair of Elac ub5 which to my ears sounded a lot like the LS50s.

21. brownmagic

I ran a pair of Focal Aria 926 with the CX80. I found the CX80 to be more forward than the Marantz PM6006 which I have experience with. Thanks for your feedback. I will keep the CX61 as an option.

The below review claims that the Quad II is a good match. The Quad and Leak 130 are same amps in diff clothes.

Wharfedale Linton Loudspeaker and Quad Vena II Integrated Amplifier

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    happysunshine likes this.
  22. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

They look much more expensive than they are too.:edthumbs:

Rick58, happysunshine and Joshua Tree like this.
  23. happysunshine

happysunshine Tillverkningen av Salubrin startades 1893

I remember you dissing my Cambridge earlier in this thread. :) I’m still very much tempted giving the Leak a try, but would love to hear more of your experience with this pairing. What is it the Leak can do so well and the Cambridge cannot?

Rick58 likes this.
  24. bgiliberti

Well, it's obviously a better mop.

33na3rd, magnet and happysunshine like this.
  25. Neoscan

Neoscan New Member

I’m trying to decide which amp/dac/streamer would sound best with the Lintons. I’m thinking it’ll probably be the Audioland 6000A Play or the Quad Vena II Play. Has anyone heard both of these with the Lintons and what did you think? I know they’re both similar in some ways. Is the Quad a bit warmer?