Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

What is it with Discogs sellers? Post your horror stories here...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by glamorbowie1, May 10, 2021.

1. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

I haven't read through all 6 pages here, but my main gripe with Discogs is the use of generic photos. On more than one instance, I have purchased records that buyers have mis-listed as being different pressings than they actually were.

Some have arrived over-graded, but I have had an equal amount of Discogs purchases arrive in better-than-advertised condition. I don't buy high-dollar records, so the experience has been ok overall. Aside from missing the "thrill of the hunt" aspect, buying online saves the hassle of hunting through record bins and thrift shops on my limited free time these days.

2. iveivan

iveivan Active Member

I have never tried to negotiate but then I haven’t bought any box sets from there. I think it’s outrageous to increase the price when someone is interested.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  3. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

The only reason I messaged to negotiate is that there were multiple items that had best offers and discogs only allows one best offer so if that gets declined then you can't make another. So I just contacted to see if we could agree on a best offer price. One item went from $40 with a best offer option to $55 when I did that another went from $27 to $40, so that was apparently a bad strategy.

I'd just never had that situation happen where someone upped the prices on the items I was interested in after I send them a message.

iveivan likes this.
  4. iveivan

iveivan Active Member

I also don’t have time to hunt in record shops. Over here, most shops are small and don’t have a large stock of old vinyl.

My Discogs order cost is typically small. As the postage cost can be higher than a single vinyl cost, I tend to look for sellers that have a few records I want or browse for 12” singles to add to the order just so the postage cost does not dwarf the vinyl cost. Often sellers will have a fixed postage cost for up to 5 records.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Not necessarily a horror story but I had another seller cancel my order saying they no longer had the item. This has happened to me multiple times on Discogs. Never happens anywhere else.

6. iveivan

iveivan Active Member

They probably expect you to give a positive review.