What is the appeal of Radiohead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Archguy, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matisse

Matisse I said me gotta go now

Honestly I can’t be bothered. Sorry. I "made a claim"? It’s just my impression. What will happen the day you finally read a bad Radiohead review? Kind of proves my original point.

2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Music that can be demanding and setting it's own pace and style, rare as rare can be in this day and age

Choba b CCCP and Sneezyachew like this.
  3. Matisse

I love the Velvet Underground too. Much better than Radiohead.

M2225 likes this.
  4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

And what’s your point? Music isn't a popularity contest.

5. Matisse

Go back a couple pages maybe, to see where I was coming from. And cheer up.

6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

The point is that they’ve evolved extremely far from that “simplicity” since then, but I guess that point went “whoosh” over your head.

I couldn’t care less what the public deems “famous” and don’t see what that has to do with the complexity of their music, or not.

Choba b CCCP and MothMonsterMan like this.
  7. Mirror Image

You mean this one?

My point about music not being a popularity contest still stands. Also, I think you’re off the mark in your comments regarding Radiohead and the reasoning for their radical departure after OK Computer. Thom Yorke has repeatedly stated that he felt the band needed to work from a clean slate, because he didn’t want Radiohead to become something that was stagnant. You’re also wrong in that Radiohead were critical darlings --- Kid A was widely criticized when it was released 20 years ago (wow...I can’t believe this much time has elapsed already). Of course, nowadays, as I have mentioned before, this album has gained a following and it is universally lauded as being an album that has broke new ground for them. I think Radiohead were genuine in their need for change and wanted to explore new musical avenues for themselves and it didn’t really matter to them what their fans/critics said as they did what they had to do and I applaud them for going with their gut. So, in short, it doesn’t really matter what you say negatively about them as they have earned their place in music history.

8. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Ultimately, I think that Radiohead's appeal is largely based on their collective movie-idol/pop star good looks...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    ARK, Teufelzkerl, moj and 1 other person like this.
  9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Everyone has their own tastes & opinions but for me, music doesn't get much better than this. There are a ton of pro-shot full concerts on YouTube as well. Fantastic live band.

10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Or this.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    gregorya and Kristofferabild like this.
  11. Matisse

Nope. I meant this one:

12. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

In my opinion, no.

Matisse likes this.
  13. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Idk, I don't read reviews.

Knox Harrington likes this.
  14. Mirror Image

Okay and as I said, they haven’t always been the critic darlings you said they were. Kid A was seen as a major disappointment at the time, although there was some good reviews as well. Anyway, critical success or not, Radiohead are one of the great rock bands, IMHO.

ghoulsurgery and Knox Harrington like this.
  15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Life is too short to worry about why you don't like a band.

This Radiohead fan also loves King Crimson, Keith Jarrett, Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Joy Division/New Order, David Sylvian, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, VDGG, Brian Eno, Roxy Music, Prefab Sprout, XTC, St Vincent, Laura Marling, Supersilent, Talking Heads, Wayne Shorter, Andrew Hill, Vijay Iyer, Massive Attack, The Clash, Eberhard Weber, John Zorn, Myra Melford, Dave Holland, Jon Hassell, ...

Is there a pattern, I am not sure.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  16. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

This. Remember too that the troll famously declared

"Thank God for Coldplay. It's where all we Bends and Computer fans went when Raidiohead went all 'art'."

in this thread. Click the link for more highly amusing quotes

Radiohead's drastic change in 1999-2000?

Choba b CCCP and Chrome_Head like this.
  17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The main appeal to me is the music.:laugh:

This thread appears to have degenerated into a bunch of "I like Radiohead because..." / "You're wrong, because..." and "I don't like Radiohead because..."/"You're wrong, because..." exchanges. If that's all it has left to offer, it may be time to put the thread out of its misery.

MikeManaic61, ARK and Choba b CCCP like this.
  18. Chrome_Head

I can try to answer the OP’s question before this thread gets locked (and I just listened to In Rainbows):

What’s their appeal? They’re a musically adventurous band, Yorke’s vocals and lyrics are interesting, they have one hell of a great guitarist in Jonny Greenwood; their albums are often fantastic-sounding, and to me they were still making vibrant, intriguing, challenging and interesting music up to The King Of Limbs (A Moon Shaped Pool I thought was very good as well, but there are some overly-sedate moments on it).

They’re deserving of the critical plaudits thrown their way IMO—a band that’s highly revered but they seem to keep themselves down to Earth.

If they were to bow out now (as it’s been customary to suggest every time they put out a new record), they would go out leaving one of the greatest catalogs in popular music.

19. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Well, actually music IS a popularity contest.
    Go ask `ED` and `Taylor`, and then ask all those people on `Bandcamp`.

20. moj

moj Forum Resident

Sooooo... at the time of Pablo Honey and The Bends I was working in an open plan office where I didn’t have control of the CD player. The constant repetition of both albums, particularly the second, put me off the group for life. Or so I thought...

I binged s1/s2 of Ozark immediately before s3’s release earlier this year, and hearing Decks Dark and Daily Mail within a week of each other compelled me to give Radiohead another go.

I’ve skipped Pablo Honey because I know I don’t like it, and I’m taking things slowly: have just acquired Hail to the Thief.

Early indications are that they’re jolly good. I still haven’t found a ‘better’ song than Daily Mail, though...

21. Chrome_Head

“The Daily Mail” is a superb track IMO, and dare I say, a very Lennon-esque one. It really should have been included as track 2 on The King Of Limbs.

22. moj

moj Forum Resident

I’m still waiting for my Damascene conversion with Lennon, so can’t comment on that.

I got quite obsessive about Daily Mail, and after watching all the live performances I can find online I’m still unsure as to who is producing what sound. They’re all noodling away frantically when the NOISE hits, but to me it still sounds like half a dozen really angry tubas.

gregorya and Chrome_Head like this.
  23. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It is! Often more simplistic music structurally becomes the most popular. Which would be an interesting thread all on its own.

I think if most people can sing the song in the car or the shower, it has its best chances of being popular with the masses. Creep is one of these songs.

Radiohead kind of disowned Creep for a few years there, but then they seemed to start to enjoy playing it again (perhaps because of the response from the crowd).

Either way, it's a song they made when they were 23/24 years old. It was released in the fall of 1992.

It makes sense that their music was not as "complex" when they were just out of college and starting out. Also the music landscape and recording and mixing technology was just completely different 28 years ago.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Choba b CCCP and moj like this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

What's the appeal? Grosso modo, I would describe it as a marvelous mix of great music and lyrics.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If "The Daily Mail" is indeed your cup of tea, you will probably like "In Rainbows" and maybe even moreso the "In Rainbows" Bonus Album. The latter is currently only available via digital or streaming as its physical release was exclusive to a deluxe release of "In Rainbows" when it first came out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.