Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I received my copy of the RRS box from Amazon. It was a great deal at $83 plus $18 shipping, but the Amazon packaging was extremely flimsy - just an outer box and some bubble wrap on one side only. Fortunately, no damage. I got lucky, but the lesson is you take your chances when ordering from Amazon.

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

On that I agree

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t really mind Biker like an icon. It s perhaps a somewhat failed experiment but nothing offensively bad
    Get enough I personally find to be a very good and moody song wrapped in a Bon Iveresque arrangement that I don t mind at all
    Spies like us ain t great
    However-imo-those mentioned above are nowhere near the true mediocrisity of Freedom or some of the Press to play stuff. Did I mention Motor of Love

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    paulmccartneyistheman and Eska68 like this.
  4. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Biker Like An Icon and Get Enough are not necessarily bad songs (the first one is great imo) but odd choices for singles, that's the thing

tug_of_war, Shaddam IV and OobuJoobu like this.
  5. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Exactly, context is everything. If Biker had been a fourth track on a CD single people would happy shine a torch on it as a fun curio.

Freedom is the worst tho’. I like to reimagine it as a song about Sweden.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  6. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

Ahem : 'But the biker, didn't like her'

Paul, you're next in line for the Nobel.

7. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

There is very little Paul songs I hate more tbh.

8. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Still loving these new Archive collections though, I have a appreciation for Red Rose that I didn’t have before(I used to be indifferent but now I can say I really like it). I do prefer the style of Wild Life.

Wings Over Europe is amazing, but I prefer Wings Over America, it’s a tough pick though.

Wingsfan2012, JDeanB and Paper Wizard like this.
  9. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Regarding "Biker Like An Icon," Paul said it was a play on words from a phrase about Linda's cameras ("She had a Leica, now a Nikon").
    It's not the first time or the last that he's taken a phrase, changed a word or two, and come up with something different.
    "Helen Wheels" stands out to me ("Hell on wheels") for example.
    As for it being a single, note that the single also include the live version — because it was part of the New World Tour set list, and the band really enjoyed playing it.

Worst single of Paul's? That's a personal choice.
    The instrumental version of "Uncle Albert," the riff-based "Old Siam Sir," the annoying voiced "Temporary Secretary," the unfinished-but-lead single "Press," the multiple remixes of "Ou Est Le Soleil" and more are all equal qualifiers.

Does this relate to Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway though?
    Of course it does.
    "Big Barn Bed" is lyrical nonsense, while "Night Out" and "Mumbo" both had vocals thrown on top of them without little attention to what was being said lyrically.
    Other cuts, like "Thank You Darling," are also based on simple ideas.

It's the McCartney charm.
    Sometimes he has a great hook that elevates the piece beyond what it should have on paper.
    Red Rose Speedway is chock full of them, which may explain why EMI thought that album worked better as a single LP.

Alternatively, EMI could have just been prats like demonstrated in Bohemian Rhapsody. :whistle:

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  10. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Can anyone tell me what day "When the Saints" was recorded during the Wild Life sessions?

joy stinson likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

All Saints Day ... :hide:

12. irender

irender Forum Resident

Well. I got my RRS delivered from Amazon UK. Package was pretty much destroyed. The LP was just thrown in the box with .02 worth of brown paper. The album cover had slight corner bends. The LPs however were filthy and had scratches in several places on the vinyl. Scratches deep enough to hear. None of the sides were off center though. It's going back. This makes 4 returns. What ever happened to quality control? [​IMG] [​IMG]

fungomatto likes this.
  13. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

October 9, 1971.

Also recorded that day:

14. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I still have my Biker shirt from the Off The Ground tour. Now that was an odd purchase.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  15. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

And do we know who play what?

16. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I saw him on that tour and was struck by how much 'Biker' was being pushed on merchandise, in interviews, etc. It's not a bad song but like @Saul Pimon and @Clem865 noted it suffers because someone (Paul!) thought it was a lot better than it was and featured it so heavily.

17. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

This makes a lot of sense in that it has a visual element in the song that easily lends itself to marketing.

18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Motor Of Love is absolutely fantastic, one of my very favorites, I love that song, and the bridge is one of McCartney's best!

Freedom isn't as bad as many say, I can think of others that are far worse, like Temporary Secretary, From A Lover To A Friend, Hosanna, English Tea, You Gave Me The Answer, I'll take Freedom and Biker over any of those!

blutiga and SixOClockBoos like this.
  19. Shaddam IV

What is that click/pop at around 2:15 on "Tragedy"?

20. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The one with the religious biblical style print on the front? I've got that too and still wear it!

(Bought from the Beatles shop on Mathew Street in Liverpool just down the road from The Cavern :) )

joy stinson likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

A broken sitar string ...

Just kidding... ;)

22. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

All of those are way better than Freedom.

23. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I cancelled based on your comment.
    But I bought the super deluxe at Bull Moose for only $61.
    The Moose also had the Flowers in the Dirt SD for $119

24. Shaddam IV

I know it's not just my copy because it's on Spotify too and it's really bugging me !

25. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I like "Freedom." It releases the tension of the epic that precedes, and ends an understated (but rather excellent) album on an upbeat. McCartney trait that--not to end an album on downbeat.