Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I think later is better, there are still new albums coming out. For instance, the new The Good The Bad and The Queen just came out today.
    I guess a separate thread for best of lists would make sense.

mcwlod likes this.
  2. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Yeah, this is a ridiculously good album. I haven't compiled my "best albums of the year" list yet, but I've got a feeling this will be at or near the top.

3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Glad to see how much you liked both of those! I'm nowhere near ready to start finalizing my lists, but both will be high on mine as well. Also wanted to give kudos for two other albums I love on your list - both surprisingly killer records that, for some reason, didn't expect much out of.

Ernest T likes this.
  4. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Just wondering if your vinyl copy of Maarja Nuut & Ruum Muunduja is as good as the digital version, mine seems to have some overloaded bits? (Have only listened twice so will need to go back to b more specific, not just the end of track 8!)

5. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

6. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

I'd have to assume you are talking about the second track, right? That's the only one pushing it, the rest are pretty low in average level and much more dynamic, though must confess I don't notice any overload on either the digital or the vinyl (just played the download this morning). But I mostly listen to the vinyl, and no complaints, love this record, may well end up my favorite this year in the long run.

Edit: Oh, I guess you are asking if my vinyl is overloaded, didn't quite follow, but I haven't noticed that, thought it sounded pretty nice, I'm using a Clearaudio table and Benz Micro Wood cartridge for reference, see profile.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Devilscucumber likes this.
  7. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

I'll check my set-up again, though I just played the new DCD and that was pretty good, barring a few pops, might have got a dud copy

8. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

OK, I've finally gotten a chance to check out Maarja Nuut $ Ruum, and really liked what I've heard so far--will definitely be following up! Next on my list of artists to check out will be Mitski. In a different direction, I checked out the new Elvis Costello, and absolutely loved it. Never been a fan of his previously, but the new album is right up my alley.

I'm not sure whether anyone posted a video from the Maarja Nuut & Ruum, but here is a nice one:

Jerry James and Davey like this.
  9. Davey

The Maarja Nuut & Ruum record is ace, really off the charts for a debut, as I said above, may be my favorite of 2018, so glad it came my way, just a lot of very good records this year. The Mitski record is pretty great too, gotta find a more permanent place for that poster ... Best New Albums of 2018

I've been listening to the Cat Power record a lot today, it is really good, I have this dumb bias she'll never do something as endearing and influential as Moon Pix again, or even You Are Free, and she probably won't, but no matter, Wanderer is still really nice and I've played it a few times today, I'd love to have an album like that to my credit.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  10. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I'll report back when I've heard the whole Maarja Nuut album, but the two tracks I've heard were both stellar. This is looking like a great year for new musical discoveries. By the way, have you heard the recent Beautify Junkyards album? Seems like it would be up your alley. Sort of combines aspects of Nuut, Broadcast, and Dead Can Dance.

Davey likes this.
  11. Davey

Wow, that does sound like me, thanks, I'll explore :)

And give a listen to the Egyptology and Rival Consoles albums if you get a chance, really good stuff, if that kosmische eno ambient sound is part of your comfort zone.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  12. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

And, check out the Tim Hecker album if you like the konichiwa emo ambient sound.

Davey and NorthNY Mark like this.
  13. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

It's too bad Ultimate Painting decided not to release Up!, because it's one of my favorites of the year

michanes and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  14. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I'd like to thank the thread and to +1 an album that was mentioned at the beggining of the year. The debut by

Olden Yolk

It has really grown on me and I don't go more than a few weeks without playing it. Kind of an unassuming creeper but the songs and sound are great! Folky psych rock w nice harmonies and just enough weird. Thanks for the rec and check it out!

BD2665 and puelche like this.
  15. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

16. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

That Mingus live album is up there. Zappa live at Roxy, too. Also, the John Renbourn in Kyoto 1978.

I wasn’t too hot on the Uncut list, but I am too hot on the Uncut list compared to the Mojo general list. Nice that they did a reissue/archival list, though.

17. Kirsten

Kirsten I sing my sorrow, and I paint my joy. J. Mitchell

18. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

In my experience, @Chrome_Head has started a "What are YOUR top ten albums of the year?" thread for the past few years. I like having a thread separate from this great one, just for people to gather their thoughts and decide on a personal top ten. Chrome_Head, are you planning on doing the same for 2018?

I've been spending the past week exploring many albums I missed or gave only a cursory listen over the year as I decide on my top ten for the year. My goal every year is to find at least ten albums that I can honestly say I love and will revisit in years to come. I've been successful in finding that the past few years and I think 2018 will be no different.

Jerry James likes this.
  19. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I really like Blackberry Smoke's Find A Light

Some of their songs sound like a dead ringer for Lynyrd Skynyrd. Perhaps too much, but I don't care really. :) Really great rock and roll!

Frank likes this.
  20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Yes, been meaning to do that. Thanks for the reminder.

Off the top of my head, I feel like it might be struggle for me to get to 10 this year, until I start really thinking about it. There has been some amazing stuff come out this year.

Edit: the thread is now up:

What are your top 10 albums of 2018?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Bevok, mcwlod, Mugrug12 and 1 other person like this.
  21. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Janelle Monae's Dirty Computer is the one I've listened to most.
    Also: Hell-On by Neko Case; Record by Tracey Thorn; 13 Rivers by Richard Thompson

Bevok and LivingForever like this.
  22. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Received Maisha There Is A Place last night and it is great. Currently on my second spin. All the main soloists are female and I’ll be seeking out more of their music. Was only familiar with Nubya Garci previously. Shirley Tetteh plays guitar and Amané Suganami is on keys. Anyone who likes Kamasi should definitely check this one out.

23. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Going to get flamed for this, but that Muse single is among the best pop tracks of the year:

LivingForever likes this.
  24. djblaze

djblaze Forum Resident

The Mother Hips - Chorus

25. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident