Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

When I saw the photo I assumed he was a friend of the band who recently died, and it saddened me every time I looked at it. I was so happy to learn he was alive.

2. thos

thos Forum Resident

Actually I thought that too at first.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Peter Gabriel

Peter Brian Gabriel was born on 13 February 1950 in Chobham, Surrey.[27] His father, Ralph Parton Gabriel (1912–2012), was an electrical engineer, and his mother, Edith Irene (née Allen), who was from a musical family, taught him to play the piano at an early age.[28] His great-great-great-uncle, Sir Thomas Gabriel, 1st Baronet, was Lord Mayor of London from 1866 to 1877.[28] Gabriel attended Cable House, a private primary school in Woking; St Andrews Prep School in Horsell; and Charterhouse School in Godalming from 1963. He played drums in his first rock bands, and Mike Rutherford commented in 1985 that "Pete was—and still is, I think—a frustrated drummer".[29]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

RBtl and Rufus rag like this.
  4. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

On "Watcher of the Skies". I previously mentioned that I love the whole opening instrumental section and feel it works better as an instrumental, as heard in "3SL"

"Time Table" is a great piano tune. One of Banks' best piano-based ballads IMO.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Timetable suffers from the same problem the minor songs in NC have: it's overshadowed by the big guys.
    It's delightful in itself but the comparison is heavy and risks to have it undervalued.

That said, I think it's the track I needed most time to get into.
    It's a necessary breath after Watcher and before Friday, but for some time it was just that. A moment of relief before riding again.
    I can't say why but it felt a little off, like an intruder to the rest of the album, at first. Maybe it was because it's a solo track and I unconsciously missed the other's contribution.
    Now that I think about it, It's nt that far from the feeling I had with Mad Man Moon (which I love now).

Gardo and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide

Genesis - A History
    - Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

From Genesis To Revelation - Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Liner notes Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 1 When The Sour Turns To Sweet Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    without strings Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 2 In The Beginning Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 3 The Fireside Song Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 4 The Serpent Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 5 Am I Very Wrong Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 6 In The Wilderness Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    rough mix Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 7 The Conqueror Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 8 In Hiding Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 9 One Day Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 10 The Window Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    alternate Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 11 In Limbo Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    alternate Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 12 Silent Sun Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 13 A Place to call my own Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    new mix Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Other Early Tracks
    Patricia (In Hiding demo) Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    A Winter's Tale (single) Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    A Winters Tale (alternate -with studio banter) Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    That's Me Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Image Blown Out Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Build Me A Mountain Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    On The Trail Of The One Eyed Hound Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Let Us Now Make Love Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Jackson Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Trespass - Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    inside gatefold Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    sleeve Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 1 Looking For Someone Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    live at BBC Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 2 White Mountain Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    live in'76 Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 3 Visions Of Angels Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 4 Stagnation Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Stagnation (BBC sessions) Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 5 Dusk Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    demo Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 6 The Knife Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Road To Nursery Cryme - Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Live in 1971 Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Nursery Cryme - Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 1 Musical Box Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    live at the bbc Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    F# or Manipulation Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    live Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    live 74 Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 2 For Absent Friends Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 3 Return Of The Giant Hogweed Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 4 Seven Stones Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 5 Harold The Barrel Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    piano and guitar Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 6 Harlequin Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 7 Fountain Of Salmacis Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    live '78 Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Belgian Pop Shop live 1972 Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Twilight Alehouse live '72 Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Peel Sessions
    Fountain of Salmacis Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Harlequin Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Return Of The Giant Hogweed Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    Harold The Barrel Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Happy The Man Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Foxtrot - Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 1 Watcher Of The Skies Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    live Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    single Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    b-side Genesis - The Album by Album Thread
    track 2 Time Table Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Supper's Ready (live) Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Links of interest

Tabletop Genesis
    Genesis - The Movement
    The Complete Guide To Live Genesis Radio Shows
    ~A Genesis Discography
    Tabletop Genesis
    Thanks for these guys

7. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Foxtrot was was the first album that elevated them from cult band to wider appreciation amongst Prog fans. The albums preceding it where very uneven . Foxtrot was really the beginning of Genesis greatness

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Nursery Cryme is "uneven"? o_O
    IMO Foxtrot is where more folks finally caught up with their dense and complex music. SEBTP even more and so on.

granata, Gardo and mark winstanley like this.
  9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I always felt Selling England was the easiest Gabriel era to get into, partly due to the amount of good short songs and WAY better sound compared to the previous records. That is, everything before Foxtrot all sounds a bit murky, if you know what I'm talking about. The Lamb... yeah, even I have reservations.

10. Rose River Bear

I agree. Selling was the album that most of my friends that were on the fence finally started to listen to them. After Foxtrot they drifted more away from a pronounced British sound with the sustained organ to a more Americanized sound. The production changed as well as you said.

11. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I agree, as previously posted. They where way behind their peers in terms of quality albums up until Foxtrot, which even itself has some throwaway songs.

12. mark winstanley

It's interesting because most folks seem to look to Selling England By The Pound as THE album. I have always been a little distant from it to be honest. I like it, they never really did anything I didn't like, but I just don't think it is quite right and I can't put my finger on it. I'm not sure if it's a flow issue, stylistic or what ...
    Lamb is almost two albums to me. Disc one is unbelievably good and disc two is just good. For me Genesis phase 1 peaked with Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot and then i guess disc 1 of Lamb..
    I don't see Nursery Cryme as uneven, but one of the interesting things about Genesis is how far flung opinions are on each phase and album.

pablo fanques likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

Would we be talking ELP, Crimson, Yes etc as the peers?
    It's interesting to me, because I only relate those bands to each other due to a genre tag that got thrown over them all. In terms of listening to them, they are just so completely different, I find comparisons hard to relate to ... you know?
    It's like Gentle Giant, they were thrown in the prog bag as well and they are again completely unlike any of those bands to me.

AidanB and mx20 like this.
  14. Rose River Bear

SEBTP certainly started the move away from the mythical and a little more towards social issues type songs. The sustained organ and mellotron are less heard on Selling as well. Most of my friends that became late genesis fans really liked the opening cut and Firth on Selling. Two of their best IMO.

15. mark winstanley

Those two tracks are stellar ... I'm still going through a series of revision listens, so I don't have much more to put in yet. Firth is worth its inclusion just for that opening piano sequence.

16. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Yeah, Firth is probably Bank's most intricate, complex piano sequence he wrote, beautify passage ! I find the mellotron sequence on Watcher of the Skies quite boring in comparison that could have been more effective if it was edited by at leat 30 seconds or more !

DMGuy and mark winstanley like this.
  17. mark winstanley

Possibly. It creates an anticipation to me, but i understand how others may find it dragging

18. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I wouldn't really say "behind". I suppose you could argue Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Van Der Graff all had released a significant record before 1972, however I'd also argue their previous albums (being only three at that point) well, Trespass and Nursery Cryme might hold up better than some of the earliest albums of the bands listed, plus it's also fair to point out they were only 22 when Foxtrot was recorded, and finally my post was misinterpreted, I was speaking of the complexity of the music and engineer/equipment end of things - Trespass and Nursery Cryme are both very good records. Trespass in my top 5 for Genesis.

19. prudence2001

prudence2001 Forum Resident

be prepared, cuz every version I've heard is lo-fi audience. Not really a pleasant listening experience, but historical as all get out.

20. prudence2001

The original amazing Genesis book is by Italian Armando Gallo, a hardcore fan from the early days when the band found success in Italy, who wrote "I Know What I Like" which is worth it for the excellent color photographs (Gallo is a photographer). Another excellent book is "Opening The Musical Box" by Alan Hewitt who runs the Genesis/Ant Phillips website The Waiting Room.

21. prudence2001

The earliest show that Peter wore stage makeup and outlandish attire was May 28, 1972 at the Great Western Express show in Lincoln. Per Armando Gallo, "Lincoln was the first time Peter Gabriel appeared in front of a large English crowd with the front of his head shaved; with his eyes heavily lined in black and wearing a jeweled collar falling down over his chest and shoulders, he looked like an ageless Egyptian prince. This was the first of the many and increasingly elaborate costumed performances by Peter." There's a couple of photos in "I Know What I Like" of this look. Apparently this is the show that Watcher Of The Skies premiered at, pre Foxtrot.

22. prudence2001

These photos are from an Italian show on April 15, 1972 at the Hit Parade Club in Lugo Di Romagna, Italy. Here's a YouTube link to the show, which is surprisingly well recorded, considering the age. There are very few recordings of Genesis from this early. You can see that Peter has yet to start dressing in costume or wearing makeup.

mark winstanley and rednoise like this.
  23. prudence2001

It's really a decent, if not good, recording though, wouldn't you say? Considering the age and the probable tech that was used. Vocals come through clearly, and most instruments, other than bass, are solid. We're lucky to have these ancient Genesis recordings.

24. prudence2001

So I've been working my way through this awesome thread, and wanted to tell you a bit about my love for Genesis. I first heard Your Own Special Way and Follow You, Follow Me in the time frame they were released, as they were minor hit singles in 1976 and 1977. I didn't know anything else about Genesis until I went off to university in 1981, where I met a couple of Genesis freaks ("Your Time Has Come To Shine") who quickly got me up to speed on all the records through Duke. My absolute favorites were the trilogy of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, and Selling England By The Pound. I had to work pretty hard to digest The Lamb as a whole, but eventually it joined the group of 3 listed above. Trespass, Genesis Live, and Seconds Out, as well as A Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering, were almost as good. So there were 9 superb Genesis albums in near constant rotation on my turntable in those days. I never got into From Genesis To Revelation; it just seemed so juvenile. ...And Then There Were Three and Duke had their good, even great parts, but they also strongly hinted at the changes to come, which were confirmed when we went out to buy ABACAB on the day of release in September 1981. Don't get me wrong, those three albums are still very good Genesis, but with strange tracks like Follow You, Follow Me, Misunderstanding, Me And Sarah Jane, and the atrocious Who Dunnit?, we knew that Genesis had evolved into a different musical beast. I went to see both the ABACAB and the Shapes tours, and loved the stage show + Vari-lights, superb sound (bass pedals!), Firth Of Fifth (even if Darryl couldn't come close to the sublime beauty of Steve's solo), Phil's antics, and the "oldies medley" of In The Cage/Slipperman/Afterglow/Drums/Los Endos at the conclusion of the show. Still, Genesis wasn't the same as what I had hoped to see after watching the excellent Seconds Out movie from 1977, which was played at times on the late night music show, Night Flight. I did go see their second last ever show in 2007 at the Hollywood Bowl, and that was a lot of fun even if rain caused them to not play an encore. I don't expect they'll ever play together again though.

Curiously, late one night on the radio in 1980 I had heard Games Without Frontiers (but not the title of the track or name of the artist), and immediately the next day went out to find the corresponding record (which was not very easy to do in those pre-Internet days - I probably spent a week searching through album racks at Musicland before coming across this weird looking album by some Peter Gabriel guy). I didn't even know that he was part of the Genesis family until more than a year later, when my new Genesis friends pointed out the Phil Collins connection. Gabriel also completely changed his musical vision from what he'd done with Genesis, and I'm sure plenty of long-time Genesis freaks were not enthusiastic with that.

The rest of Genesis albums after ABACAB didn't mean anything to me, and so I concentrated on collecting all the Genesis bootlegs I could find. I still have a bunch of vinyl boots, including Live...From The Mouth Of The Monster (at the Uptown Theater in Chicago from a 1978 WXRT radio broadcast), the great White Mountain (1976 UK tour with Bill Bruford), Just A Pool Of Tears (also from 1976, with a stunning Paul Whitehead cover painting and 3 colored vinyl LPs!), Swelled And Spent, As Though Emerald City, and Awed Man Out (all three from various 1975 Lamb shows), and The Bedside Yellow Foam (with just three tracks, Dancing, Cinema Show, and Supper's Ready from Montreal 1974 SEBTP tour) which I played a lot. I also bought most of Peter's albums, Steve's solos, and Ant Phillips' Geese And The Ghost, Wise After The Event, and some of the Private Parts And Pieces releases (all of Ant's records are beautiful and have astounding guitar work that reminds me often of Trespass, and also often feature Michael Rutherford or Phil Collins).

Once cds and the internet became a part of life, it was really exciting to find others online who loved Genesis as much as I did (who remembers Paperlate, the Genesis email list in the 90's?). I participated in many weeds and vines which was what we called CDR trading via the post office, and also worked with Andrew S. of Hogweeds fame to help circulate his excellent fan remastered bootlegs (if you're looking for some of the best Genesis live recordings, the 16 recordings from the Hogweeds project are top-notch.) I also spent a lot of energy tracking down the best quality BBC recordings, and compiled an early Genesis BBC Recordings 1970-1972 double CD that you can still find on the internet download sites (info at The International Echoes Hub - Lossless Studio and Concert Recordings of your Favorite Bands. ).

I also think many of you would enjoy reading this academic essay written and posted back in 1998 by Uwe Hoppe, entitled Peaceful Shades Of Green, The Pastoral Element In The Works Of Early Genesis. I could only find it on the Wayback machine at The Path: 'Peaceful Shades of Green' - by Uwe Hoppe . I think he explains superbly why Genesis songs, especially the LPs through SEBTP, affect me so deeply, with their exquisite Englishness, their delicate balance between acoustic beauty and complex, muscular musical interplay, and their utter uniqueness.

25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Very much so, yes.

AidanB, Rojo and Rufus rag like this.