Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Sounds like a good research project!

bzfgt likes this.
  2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Definitely. I did listen to Fall 1972 through all of 1973 when I made this determination, all in a row without breaks. However, who knows, maybe something made me more receptive to GSET as I went or I was biased in some way, so I'm not claiming to be scientific. But I just remember version after version in the Spring doing it hard, maybe tailed off a little in June and then a few great ones in Fall. Anyway, one I really remember being great is 1973-05-20, with St. Stephen jam....

EDIT: OK, I remembered being more impressed with that one (i.e., Garcia's solo) than the more lauded and famous 1972-09-28 (also with St. Stephen jam). I just listened to them back to back, which I had not done before, and I would stand by that judgment, although it's not like it smokes it into a hole in the ground or anything. Still, I think 1973-05-20 wears the crown!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Crispy Rob, sami and adamos like this.
  3. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

Ooooh man.....1972. Even though I had acquired a handful of tapes, 1972 was lacking. I love Europe '72 and Hundred Year Hall was a favorite upon it's release. This show was a game changer and my first real deep dive into '72 beyond the Spring Europe stuff. The AM Dew opener was peculiar, but it did not disappoint. Friend of the Devil, Tennessee Jed, that Bird Song (wowzers!), and Brokedown Palace are my favorites on disc one.

As previously noted China>Rider contained some interesting work by Bobby, but it still delivers before a great PITB. Hard to believe that was only Set I. He's Gone rarely disappoints and this version is *fantastic*. Deal and Ramble on Rose round out Disc 2.

We all came here for the Dark Star>Cumberland pairing, am I right? A unlikely pairing which works with Phil leading the drive out of Dark Star territory into Cumberland. The show still drops a magnificent Attics of my Life and Uncle John's Band - plus some of the standards.

I had purchased DicksPicks 7-12 at about the same time and was blown away most of the releases - this was one of them. It's a release most folks don't want to miss out on.

4. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Not too many thoughts on DiP 11, other than that it's another great 72 show. Are there any bad ones?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Al Gator and SJR like this.
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I think there’s only one.

Harm1985 likes this.
  6. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Now you've made me curious!

SJR likes this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Nah, I’m just messing with ya!

8. A bit strange that Dick picked this one instead of the much more popular Philadelphia show from the same week or Veneta from a month before. This still has plenty of amazing things to offer: "Morning Dew" as an opener, fabulous "Playing" set 1 closer, a lot more 1970 songs than the shows mentioned before (especially good to have FOTD, Attics and Brokedown Palace). He's Gone, Dark Star and Bird Song fall short compared to the Philly show, but compared to just about anything else they're still very good. And there's Black Throated Wind, Tennessee Jed, China Cat>Rider, Ramble On Rose. Just another excellent 1972 show, just not one of the very best.

Al Gator and Crazy Otto like this.
  9. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

I'm still waiting to hear the story of why 9/21/72 wasn't Dick's Picks Vol. 1, as it was originally planned to be. Glad it wasn't in any case, since it wouldn't have been the full show. Actually, maybe that's why?

Al Gator likes this.
  10. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Bob is a little higher in the mix on several of the September '72 recordings. Not sure why that would be but it is not unpleasant!

Crispy Rob, Al Gator and adamos like this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Not sure why unless Dick's excitement over the 12/19/73 "Here Comes Sunshine" ended up bumping 9/21/72. Dick wouldn't have been able to release 8/27/72 because it was a multitrack.

Crispy Rob, Al Gator and Crazy Otto like this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On the 10/18/72 show that people talk about a lot, Bob's guitar is very high in the mix. One problem for me, he has tuning problems in that show.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  13. Crazy Otto

Right, I know that now, but was ignorant of those details back when 11 came out.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Sure, I thought I'd mention it since there were two posts about 9/21 around the same time and the second also mentioned 8/27.

15. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

From what I read, someone in the organization (Kidd Candelario or Healy?) had to "sell" the band on the idea of Dick's Picks, and perhaps it was felt that 12/19/73 would be an easier sales job for the personalities involved. Hell, Lesh wouldn't even let them release that one untouched. There are enough "unorthodox" moments on 9/21/72 that perhaps it might not have gone down as well with Lesh. By the time DiP36 happened, Dave was in charge of these releases and no one from the band was involved.

Crispy Rob, Al Gator and trd like this.
  16. Crazy Otto

You're probably right, seems like the most likely scenario.

17. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Pretty sure Lesh was the reason 9/21/72 was not a Pick in the early years.

bzfgt likes this.
  18. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

He's history's greatest monster.

JuanTCB, notesofachord, SJR and 7 others like this.
  19. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

In addition to the "Attics of My Life" factor, 9/27 has the benefit of fitting on three discs. 9/21 spills over onto a fourth, and that was a no-go until #14.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Although 9/21/72 wasn't a Pick until later, the SBD got into circulation in the 90's (maybe leaked by Dick?) and the Dark Star/Morning Dew was played on the GD Hour. I think Latvala and Gans played it at the Garcia tribute event 8/13/95 too.

21. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

Clickable thread guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date
    This week: 1974-06-26 Providence, 1974-06-28 Boston (released 1998-10-15 on Dick's Picks 12)
    Next week: 1981-05-06 Uniondale (released 1999-03-05 on Dick's Picks 13)

Wow, this list is getting quite long!

unravelled, trd and frightwigwam like this.
  22. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Dick's Picks Volume 12

Recording date: June 26 & 28, 1974
    Recording location: Providence Civic Center, Providence, Rhode Island; Boston Garden, Boston, Massachusetts
    Release date: October 15, 1998
    Recorded by: Bill Candelario

Disc 1
    June 26, 1974, Providence Civic Center
    1. "Jam" (Grateful Dead) – 2:29 >
    2. "China Cat Sunflower" (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter) – 11:24 >
    3. "Mind Left Body Jam" (Grateful Dead) – 1:39 >
    4. "I Know You Rider" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 6:12
    5. "Beer Barrel Polka" (Brown, Timm, Vejvoda, Zeman) – 1:08
    6. "Truckin'" (Garcia, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Hunter) – 11:06 >
    7. "The Other One Jam" (Grateful Dead) – 3:06 >
    8. "Spanish Jam" (Grateful Dead) – 15:13 >
    9. "Wharf Rat" (Garcia, Hunter) – 9:50 >
    10. "Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter) – 9:52
    Disc 2
    June 26, 1974, Providence Civic Center
    1. "Eyes of the World": (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:41
    2. June 28, 1974, Boston Garden: "Seastones" (Lesh, Ned Lagin) – 4:52
    3. "Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter) – 6:12 >
    4. "Scarlet Begonias" (Garcia, Hunter) – 9:31
    5. "Big River" (Johnny Cash) – 5:43
    6. "To Lay Me Down" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:24
    7. "Me and My Uncle" (John Phillips) – 3:17
    8. "Row Jimmy" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:16
    Disc 3
    June 28, 1974, Boston Garden
    1. "Weather Report Suite" – 14:35 >
    2. "Prelude" (Weir) – 1:11
    3. "Part 1" (Weir, Eric Andersen) – 4:16
    4. "Let It Grow" (Weir, John Perry Barlow) – 9:08
    5. "Jam" (Grateful Dead) – 27:54 >
    6. "U.S. Blues" (Garcia, Hunter) – 9:40
    7. "Promised Land" (Chuck Berry) – 3:01 >
    8. "Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 8:23 >
    9. "Sunshine Daydream" (Weir, Hunter) – 4:45
    10. "Ship of Fools" (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:38
    For the twelfth Dick’s Pick, we get most of two sets from a pair of June 1974 shows. These are jam-packed monsters, definitely not for the casual listener who’s looking for the hits.

We start a couple of songs into the second set of the June 26 Providence show. The band strikes up a mellow jam, not obviously themed. It mutates into a China Cat Sunflower jam, and we get possibly the longest introduction to the song the band ever played. It’s truly inspired; Jerry’s leads are incredibly inventive, and the rest of the band is right there with him, enveloping the listener in a gorgeous wall of music. After several minutes we get to the actual song, and it’s a scorcher, with long sections between the verses. Bob takes an unusually extended solo in an amazing transition which includes a full-blown Mind Left Body jam.

I Know You Rider doesn’t let up, driving forward with unusual leads from Jerry and the whole band playing as one. At times you can hear the audience reaction behind the music; they realize something extraordinary is happening. The northbound train verse explodes. Eventually the song ends and the crowd goes wild! Phew, we’re just two songs into this release and it’s already worth the cost.

A Beer Barrel Polka settles the crowd and leads directly into a lively Truckin’. This ends in a bass solo with shades of The Other One, but instead a long Spanish Jam gets going. For a bit Phil tries to pull into The Other One and Jerry bites, but not the rest of the band; some chaos ensues. Then it’s (surprise!) more jams, finishing with a gorgeous drumless segment that leads into Wharf Rat, absolutely perfect for the mood that’s been set. We finish with the crowd-pleasing Sugar Magnolia. The encore is a standalone Eyes, with another nice little jam that has a ton of Phil leads; it’s a wonderful exclamation point.

The June 28 Boston show starts with Seastones, which is just noise to these ears - it’s a rare track that I consistently skip (I listened to it this time and my opinion didn’t change). Fortunately it’s short and we get into the show with some short songs. Scarlet Begonias and the too-rare To Lay Me Down are both superb; the latter is one of the best versions I’ve heard.

But the core of the set starts with a full Weather Report Suite. It’s a fairly standard version, but at the end it turns into a quiet jam without any drums. This is the start of nearly half an hour or wide-ranging improvisation across numerous themes (including Dark Star). It’s hard to describe, a unique set of jams that flow very well, and it’s one of the year’s highlights.

Somehow U.S. Blues materializes, and it’s a truly extraordinary version, long and exciting, a strong candidate for the greatest version. When it’s over the crowd simply explodes, as they recognize they’ve witnessed something special. Phil warns them that the fire marshall will have to put them out! The show concludes with a handful of short songs, enjoyable but nothing like what’s come before.

Sound quality on this is really good; the infamous ‘74 sibilance isn’t too prominent. Liner notes are almost non-existent, just credits and a couple of photos.

This is probably my favorite 1974 release, and it’s one of the highlights of the entire Grateful Dead catalog. It’s concentrated goodness, and these sets belong in any Grateful Dead collection. It’s required listening.

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Seastones from the original show runs 24:33. Some might have been annoyed that Dick cut it to 4:52 for the CD while others may have preferred that he not include any of it.

Otherwise, in this case, as with DP4, he gave the fans the exact right stuff rather than dodging expectations as on some of the other volumes.

adamos, Al Gator, SJR and 2 others like this.
  24. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Between DiP#11 and 12, GD fans at the time must have thought they'd died and gone to heaven.

All killer, no filler. This is one of those releases that, had I heard it when first issued, I might have become a Deadhead many years before I actually did.

Spazros, BlueTrane, adamos and 6 others like this.
  25. Crazy Otto

Dick’s Picks Vol. 12 – 6/26 & 28/74

The second set from 6/28 was one of my most treasured tapes for years before this was released, so I was extra fired up to finally get it on CD, plus most of another second set I’d never heard before. Budgets being what they were back then, Dick couldn’t have put out both complete shows, so he made the best possible compromise. Taken together, they perfectly highlight everything that makes ’74 such a special year (the most special, if you ask me) for the band: great songs, dank jams that can go anywhere at any time and peak playing from everyone.

Notes & Highlights: 6/26
    • The loose jam that opens disc 1 transitions smoothly into an extra jammy China Cat; it’s around four minutes before we get a verse and Bob even forgoes playing his usual opening riff against Jerry’s line – never heard him do that before. I love the transitions to Rider in ’73 and ’74 with the chord progression in the middle; I’m almost certain it’s Feelin’ Groovy, not Mind Left Body, and anyway, I’ve never, ever seen it labeled on a tape. This is probably my favorite version of the classic pairing that I’ve heard.
    • Wild Truckin’ > Other One Jam > Spanish Jam > Wharf Rat Sequence. The track labeling stays weird -- the OO Jam is more of a tease than anything else, and the Spanish Jam returns briefly to the Other One theme after a few minutes. Then it goes in a cool jazzy direction before spaceing into a delicious Wharf Rat. Probably would have just labeled the whole thing ‘Jam’ and left it at that.
    • The Eyes encore is a nice crisp and concise twist, although I prefer hearing it in a set, where they can stretch it out and push it in unexpected directions.
    Notes & Highlights: 6/28
    • I’ve heard one or two Seastones I like, but neither of them is this one. At least it’s brief.After Sugar Mag ably lights the fuse on the second set, an unexpected Scarlet appears in place of Sunshine Daydream, a very cool surprise with some nice Jerry exploration on the outro. The rest of the songs before Weather Report are all well performed; Big River and Uncle cook along and I always enjoyed the quicker tempos of the earlier versions of TLMD and Row Jimmy.
    • The undisputed highlight is, of course, the Weather Report > Mind Left Body > U.S. Blues sequence. Weather Report itself is perfectly executed (although there’s a barely perceptible cut in the closing jam with at least 30 seconds missing or patched from another show), and the jam that emerges from it…it’s not hyperbole when I say this might be my favorite jam they ever played. The title is deceiving since the MLB theme only appears for around six minutes before going off in other directions (including into what sounds a lot like a Dark Star Jam). In any case, it’s an all-timer that has everything: multiple themes with shifting tempos that turn on a dime, furious playing from everyone (even Keith on vibes (!) at one point) and is thoroughly engrossing – it’s the kind of magic they conjure often in ’74 and helps lift it to exalted status.
    • After that mind-boggling stretch, the rest of the set is delicious, delicious gravy. Billy brings everyone back to Earth, jumping into a shuffle and pushing them into a swinging U.S. Blues with a nice extended instrumental intro. A quick-burst Promised into a loose and jazzy GDTRFB is a fun pairing, and Sunshine Daydream is obviously the only way to end the set. The gorgeous Ship of Fools in the encore slot is a rare and precious jewel.
    DiP 12 was one of my most played official releases for many years, and it still resides in the very top tier of all the DiP’s. These days I’ve moved on from it, but only because the full shows from both 6/26 and 6/28 can be found at no cost from multiple sources; I’m personally a fan of the Hunter versions of each, which are two of the best matrix recordings I’ve ever heard – there’s a spark and life to them I don’t hear on the DiP and the sound is generally stunning. The vocals in particular sound better to me. In any case, these sets are as essential as it gets, however you get your hands on them. Still two of my all-time favorites.