*Poll* - The Weakest Link - XTC - English Settlement - R6

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hollow Horse, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy Thread Starter

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. Hollow Horse

After some deliberation, I thought about a go-to track if you were to put ES on and choose one of these four.

On deciding upon three songs that I couldn't do without as it were, my weakest link here is Jason And The Argonauts.

Fave band member: Colin

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  3. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Weakest link: Jason...

Fave XTC member: Dave

4. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I'm tempted to say Barry, because I truly do love his keyboard playing and his, um...unique approach to songwriting and singing, but if I'm being honest with myself, I don't think I'd love XTC nearly as much without Colin's fabulously poppy songs, relatable voice, and incredible bass playing. This is particularly true as far as English Settlement goes, where I love all of Colin's songs (including the fantastic Blame The Weather), but only really like two or three of Andy's.

YardByrd likes this.
  5. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Voting "No Thugs."

I can't say I have a favorite, because all of their contributions are amazing and important. Colin is an extremely gifted songwriter and a fantastic bassist. Andy has often shown a unique, sometimes off-kilter yet still melodic approach to songwriting that shows immense creativity and talent. Dave is an outstanding guitarist - he clearly has total control and mastery over his instrument, and he came up with a lot of great, riveting, melodic stuff.

Terry Chambers was one of the post-punk era's most outstanding drummers. It's a shame he and Andy didn't get along, even if XTC did manage creatively just fine after his departure.
    Barry Andrews is of course ingenious with the keys, though I admit to liking him a bit more in Shriekback. :hide:

YardByrd likes this.
  6. Hollow Horse

Very close between the three. This I think is showing the eventual winner, not that I'd necessarily agree with it.

YardByrd likes this.
  7. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I have missed voting except for first round. Out of what is left my WL is Ball and Chain.

Hard to answer who my favorite member is. I have a lot of admiration for Colin keeping on for as many years as he did under the all-consuming tempest of Andy.

YardByrd likes this.
  8. Hollow Horse

As Jason and Ball And Chain were tied, I had to contemplate... deliberate...

Jason departs.

9. Hollow Horse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.