The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

That’s wonderful. I would love for it to completely disappear. I have good months where I don’t think about it much, but then it comes raging back. I try to take care of myself, but I do love beer and I still occasionally smoke harry rags. Only a couple of small hand rolled a night. I enjoy it in small doses, but I know the time is coming to give it up. I try to balance it with other much healthier habits. My girlfriend quit 6 months ago after a long sickness and developing asthma. I’m proud of her for sticking to it.

I can’t wait to meet up! I hope we don’t get into a fight at the bakery over the last babka. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  2. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I realise it's not Freeform Sunday, but our Sundays aren't freeform anymore. So I'm sequestering Saturday (or possibly Friday...) to post this clip I just watched of Nigel Tufnel being interviewed for Marshall amps. It looks about 30 years old but it was new at the time. If you liked the movie you'll like this clip. Anyway, the reason for posting here isn't the Spinal Tap references; rather I draw your attention to the question around the 8:30 mark about whether Nigel was pals with any of the guitar gods. :righton:

3. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I don't think any song that didn't get a single vote would have really even been in consideration for a top 100. However, I think the world would be a lesser place and my life would not be as good without the following great songs that got nary a vote:

Act Nice & Gentle 1967 Single
    All Night Stand Kinks 1965 Demo
    Come On Now 1965 Kinda Kinks
    Denmark Street 1970 Lola
    Don't Ever Let Me Go Unknown
    Don't You Fret 1965 Kwyet Kinks
    Hay Fever 1978 Misfits
    Introduction To Solution 1974 Preservation Act 2
    Perfect Strangers 1989 UK Jive
    Permanent Waves 1978 Misfits
    Repetition 1986 Think Visual
    Sand On My Shoes Unknown
    What's In Store For Me 1965 The Kink Kontroversy
    When I See That Girl Of Mine 1965 The Kink Kontroversy
    Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight 1965 Kinda Kinks

To me, in addition to the specific situations identified in the next two paragraphs that I feel created an unfair hinderance to certain songs, a few of these songs that I listed above are pretty essential to a true Kinks fan and would get at least a second thought to fill out my top 100 if were going there (in particular: All Night Stand, Come On Now, Denmark Street, Don't You Fret, Don't Ever Let Me Go).

I also want to give a special shout out to the Soap Opera suite of Nine to Five/Have Another Drink/When Work Is Over (the last two of which didn't get a vote). On their own, these individual songs were not even in contention for my top 40 lists, but as a three-part suite, I would have bumped this into the mid 20s of my second top 40 (making it my 65th(ish) song).

Also worth noting that, on its own, Morning Song didn't get a vote and would not have gotten one from me. As a stand-alone song, it doesn't work for me. Daylight, its follow up song on Preservation 1, also didn't get the nod for my top 40s lists as a stand-alone song (I think its a great song even on its own, just not great enough to make my top 80). ...but again, if we could have combined songs that REALLY belong together, and thus combined Morning Song with Daylight, the pair would have been also likely to be in the top 20 to top 30 of my second list. I really feel like Daylight gets a real lift as it flows out of the peaceful Morning Song and is elevated thereby.

These are my thoughts on the overlooked Kinks songs.

4. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

I played the crap out of Repetiton on my college radio show back in the day.

5. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

On a lighter note...

I'm running out of opportunities to squeeze in any remaining alternate mixes, versions, and remixes never posted in the thread, so as soon as an opportunity comes up, I'm going for it. No need to wait any longer. This song has come up this week and again yesterday with the list rankings and vote, so after threatening it a few months ago, it goes up now as this song will likely not come up again.

The single mix of Black Messiah has never been on YouTube oddly enough, so it never got posted when we covered the song way back. Perhaps a shocking choice as a single, this came out as an A-Side in the UK, and a B-Side in the US, and is a bonus track on the 1998 Velvel CD reissue of Misfits. This mix has much more reverb on it as well as having some instruments and vocals shifted around between it and the dry album mix/versions. Piano and organ are swapped in position and the brief flamenco-ish lead guitar in the middle of the song is now separated and moved away from the rhythm guitar. It's a shorter edit from the (now longer) album version on the CD, but one weird head scratching thing is that it eliminates completely the somewhat reconciliatory (whether that was his Ray's intent or not) lyrics about everybody got to show a little give and take, a little less hate, work it out, sort it out. Very odd to omit these lines, at least to me. Lots of unanswered questions around this song of course.

If Ray's tongue was in his cheek here, I wonder which cheek. Top or bottom? He should have put it somewhere else. Anyway, not wishing to go down that road here, I'm only looking at the mixes.

Black Messiah (Single Mix)

Some insanity and (hopefully) fun now

This might be fun. You can follow along with a scan of my rough notes on this mix stuff here on this song. Put your ear buds in or your headphones on and try it. I've thought about posting a page or two of these before for laughs (plus scorn and ridicule!) to show there is a method to this madness and so again no need to hold back on anything now. Here's a couple of pages with the songs from around this Arista era for the songs that have alternate mixes with those and the originals mixes mapped out in terms of instruments, vocals, and their positions in the stereo spectrum, though I guarantee no one can read any of this :) . Oh well, just as long as I know the language. Black Messiah is the 4th and 5th songs down in the middle on the left side of this first page and here's a link to the longer original mix if anyone wants to follow either of these mixes using these notes. It may look like a made-up language, but this is English, I promise.

The Kinks - Black Messiah (Official Audio) (youtube.com)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have some fun with some of these of these other songs and pick some of these things out if you can decipher any of this. And, yes, these are my "official" notes and I have pages and pages and pages of this stuff as you might well imagine :laugh:. Like I said, insanity, but very much fun stuff for me!

Speaking of made-up languages, Magma is a whole other language in terms of music and words, literally for those of you that know what we're talking about. I see what you did there and you're right, Christian Vander is right up my alley (and Streett) - incredible drummer, incredible band.

Yes @The late man, it was during the Lost And Found discussion which has a different meaning to me now due to the hurricane lyrics. You have a good memory!

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

“No palling around, so to speak.”

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Wonderful. I’m bopping right along. Thanks.

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Given the environment if he gets boastile & too bossynova you can bunt or batter the bastille with a bevy of breadsticks & become beaucoup de better! :buttkick: :wave:

9. All Down The Line

Likeably literal!

10. All Down The Line

You weren't kidding when you said you absolutely "had" a need to go through all those different Kinks mixes Michael as your dedication is down in black and white before us.
    Glad to hear it was helpful to your mind and well being too....... ah Ray!

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’ve lost both my parents; my father at 92 years of age, lucid to the end but completely wasted away physically. He was looking/wishing to go six months prior but lasted that extra six months with one day in hospice care.

My mother, who never, ever dreamed she’d outlive my father, passed away at 96 years of age. Was living independently, fell…and moved into assisted living one week before the covid shutdown. Awful. Awful. No one could see her (except from afar). Quite frankly, lived 2 years too long.

My eldest sister is the saint, the rock, absolutely wonderful. But she, even, couldn’t be with my mom for a long period of time.

I was working on a memoir, dedicated to my parents, so that pushed me to complete the project and I’m happy that she was able to read it while she was still sharp (pre-fall, pre-Covid shutdown)…and she loved it.

I do think about both of my parents all the time, both of them very funny people.

My dad never drank coffee, calling it ‘black death.’ Instead he would drink Postum. My son had no idea what Postum was so I was describing it to him; a coffee substitute made from the sweepings off of the Post Cereal factory floor….when my dad, 80 years old, looked at me, incredulous, and said, “That was a joke!” :D I had heard him tell that story numerous times while growing up and always thought that’s how Postum was made. Ha ha.

12. All Down The Line

Our Mixing Messiah!

13. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I like the way @Fortuleo casually used the term “bakery” as if it would be a shop we would recognise. In my experience Parisian boulangeries are the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory equivalent of our bakeries. :D

14. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

I have heard of them, but hadn't heard their music until now. The songs presented here were all very strong, starting with "Love Burns". It immediately drew me in as a listener to the band's own musical world. To my ears, there's a sense of slow-building intensity, commitment and mystery to their music and they definitely have a unique sound. Great vocalists, their voices give the music edge and character. I imagine Black Rebel Motorcycle Club must have been an incredible group to experience live. If they were to get back together again and did a gig here I'd definitely go and see them.
    All of the songs presented here were top notch but if I had to pick just one I think it would be "Beat The Devil's Tattoo". I think the full album of theirs I will listen to will be "Howl".
    Thank you very much @donstemple for your presentation of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club!

15. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

Thanks, Mark and @Fortuleo!

Both my folks lived into their 90s. The last 7 years of my Dad's life after a stroke were increasingly miserable for him; at least only the last 7 months of my Mom's life after a fall were miserable, and during Covid when my brother and I were allowed 1 hour each week to visit. My eldest brother took primary responsibility to oversee them since he lived close and was better suited for it, and I'll always be grateful for that. Now my wife and I worry about what our last years will look like since we don't have kids. I think/hope we'll be pragmatic and pro-active about preparing for it, unlike my parents who resisted any change at all.

16. All Down The Line

Reminds me of a little chocolate shop in Vienna that you virtually had to enter through a wall of decidedly decadent & delightfully, dainty delicacies!

17. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

That single mix of "Black Messiah" certainly sounds different....doesn't make the song sound any better, unfortunately!

18. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

:p

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

The Era Charts – Group

Pye

1 -Waterloo Sunset
    2 - Days
    3 - Sunny Afternoon
    4 - Shangri La
    5 - Autumn Almanac
    6 - Victoria
    7 - Dead End Street
    8 - You Really Got Me
    9 - Lola
    10 - Village Green Preservation Society
    11 - All Day And All Of The Night
    12 - I’m Not Like Everybody Else
    13 - This Time Tomorrow
    14 - Do You Remember Walter
    15 - Picture Book
    16 - Strangers
    17 - Animal Farm
    18 - Village Green
    19 - Some Mother’s Son
    20 - David Watts

RCA

1 - Celluloid Heroes
    2 - 20th Century Man
    3 - Sweet Lady Genevieve
    4 - Sitting In My Hotel
    5 - Oklahoma USA
    6 - No More Looking Back
    7 - The Hard Way
    8 - Supersonic Rocket Ship
    9 - Alcohol
    10 - Schooldays
    11 - Sitting In The Midday Sun
    12 - Holiday Romance
    13 - You Make It All Worthwhile
    14 - A Face In The Crowd
    15 - I’m In Disgrace
    16 - Muswell Hillbilly
    17 - Daylight
    18 - Where Are They Now?
    19 - Holiday
    20 - Hot Potatoes

Arista

1 - Better Things
    2 - Misfits
    3 - Rock And Roll Fantasy
    4 - Living On A Thin Line
    5 - Don’t Forget To Dance
    6 - Do It Again
    7 - Come Dancing
    8 - Superman
    9 - Sleepwalker
    10 -Father Christmas
    11 - Destroyer
    12 - Low Budget
    13 - Juke Box Music
    14 - Heart Of Gold
    15 - Catch Me Now I’m Falling
    16 - Around The Dial
    17 - Live Life
    18 - Moving Pictures
    19 - Mr Big Man
    20 - Stormy Sky

MCA/Columbia/London

1 - Scattered
    2 - Loony Balloon
    3 - Did Ya
    4 - Look Through Any Doorway
    5 - How Are You?
    6 - Still Searching
    7 - War Is Over
    8 - Now And Then
    9 - The Informer
    10 - Working At The Factory
    11 - Lost And Found
    12 - When You Were A Child
    13 - The Road
    14 - Animal
    15 - Wall Of Fire
    16 - The Video Shop
    17 - Only A Dream
    18 - Think Visual
    19 - How Do I Get Close?
    20 - To The Bone

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

My Era Charts

Pye top 20

The Way Love Used To Be - Percy
    Some Mother's Son - Arthur
    Village Green Preservation Society - Village Green Preservation Society
    Yes Sir No Sir - Arthur
    Shangr-La - Arthur

Mr Churchill Says - Arthur
    People Take Pictures Of Each Other - Village Green Preservation Society
    Waterloo Sunset - Something Else
    Two Sisters - Something Else
    This Time Tomorrow - Lola Vs Powerman

Dead End Street - single
    Animal Farm - Village Green Preservation Society
    Rainy Day In June - Face To Face
    Days - single
    David Watts - Something Else

A Long Way From Home - Lola Vs Powerman
    Strangers - Lola Vs Powerman
    Sitting By The Riverside - Village Green Preservation Society
    Sunny Afternoon - Face To Face
    I'm Not Like Everybody Else - b-side

RCA top 20

20th Century Man - Muswell Hillbillies
    Celluloid Heroes - Everybody's In Showbiz
    Oklahoma USA - Muswell Hillbillies
    Complicated Life - Muswell Hillbillies
    Muswell Hillbilly - Muswell Hillbillies

Supersonic Rocketship - Everybody's In Showbiz
    Where Are They Now? - Preservation Act 1
    I'm In Disgrace - Schoolboys In Disgrace
    Second Hand Car Spiv - Preservation Act 2
    No More Looking Back - Schoolboys In Disgrace

Holloway Jail - Muswell Hillbillies
    Flash's Confession - Preservation Act 2
    Headmaster - Schoolboys In Disgrace
    Nobody Gives - Preservation Act 2
    History - Unreleased

You Don't Know My Name - Everybody's In Showbiz
    Scum Of The Earth - Preservation Act 2
    Money Corruption/ I'm Your Man - Preservation Act 2
    Artificial Man - Preservation Act 2
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues - Muswell Hillbillies

Arista top 20

Misfits - Misfits
    Mr Big Man - Sleepwalker
    National Health - Low Budget
    A Rock And Roll Fantasy - Misfits
    Sleepwalker - Sleepwalker

Catch Me Now I'm Falling - Low Budget
    Long Distance - State Of Confusion *
    Life On The Road - Sleepwalker
    In a Space - Low Budget
    Better Things - Give The People What They Want

Moving Pictures - Low Budget
    In A Foreign Land - Misfits
    Attitude - Low Budget
    Do It Again - Word Of Mouth
    Low Budget - Low Budget

Superman - Low Budget
    The Poseur - unreleased
    Artificial Light - unreleased
    Living On A Thin Line - Word Of Mouth
    Permanent Waves - Misfits

MCA/Columbia top 20

Scattered - Phobia
    Killing Time - Think Visual
    Working at The Factory - Think Visual
    Loony Balloon - UK Jive
    Drift Away - Phobia

The Road - The Road
    Lost And Found - Think Visual
    Bright Lights - UK Jive
    Still Searching - Phobia
    Hatred - Phobia

The Informer - Phobia
    Down All the Days - UK Jive
    Wall Of Fire - Phobia
    How Are You? - Think Visual
    War Is Over - UK Jive

Only A Dream - Phobia
    Now And Then - UK Jive
    Aggravation - UK Jive
    Did Ya - Phobia
    Welcome To Sleazy Town

Not surprisingly the Pye era top twenty was formed before we even leave the top forty.
    The RCA era goes from 1 - 99 making up a fifth of my top 100.
    The Arista era goes from 1 - 107, so again, essentially making up a fifth of my top 100
    The MCA/Columbia era somewhat struggles for me, with only 5 tracks essentially in the top 100...
    but in many ways that isn't surprising.
    I didn't come to it in real time.
    It probably had the least overall enthusiasm during the thread.
    and it is the era I would have had the least exposure to overall...
    So they are factors that aren't easily ignored.
    Clearly as we went through the catalog, I certainly enjoyed the songs and albums, except famously, one track that I pretty much slammed lol ... sorry, I don't like it lol
    but to me, each of those 20's could easily make excellent compilation albums.

21. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Great Story! I've never heard of Postum. Weirdly, this reminds me of an anecdote I had forgotten for a while. My uncle was a very bright kid, always the first in everything - overshadowing my father, who was considered the nice one but not as bright. For some reason, one of the numerous parents who raised the 2 kids (my grandfather lived with his wife, her sister, their mother and aunt) had taken to tell him "eat your leeks, it makes armpit hair grow". It was a family joke, but also a device to make him eat his leeks (that I guess were boiled and grossly seasoned; it took me years to realize that leeks were actually good once treated right). For some reason beyond my comprehension, armpit hair seemed to be something desirable to my kid uncle.
    One day, at school, the subject of leek came to be studied in class. My uncle, always the proud know-it-all, confidently raised his finger and shared this invaluable piece of knowledge. "I know something about leek Madam! they make armpit hair grow!" Of course the classroom and the teacher burst out laughing, and he came back home in a rage... I don't know if he ever recovered from the humiliation!
    This - and all the talk about old age on the thread these last days - make me think I should go and see him, I've moved much closer to where he lives and he's 89... I will ask about the leek story.

22. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

Great lists! One thing: Money and Corruption is from Preservation Act 1, not 2, I believe.

23. All Down The Line

Interesting and i think it would be quite instructional to note where each groups 1 & 20 ranked and we could therefore view the group consensus ranking span for each label.

24. All Down The Line

He shouldn't be embarrassed as lots of men have leek stories! :oops:

25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Re: the various era top 20 breakouts. It does seem like there’s no point in going through another ranking exercise for The Kinks discography. To me, anyway, these lists look quite representative and indicative of how things would shake out.

Re: the official RCA top 20 list. I’m happy to see ‘Hot Potatoes’ represented. Wish ‘Ducks…’ had made it…and continue to be a bit puzzled by the success of ‘No More Looking Back.’

Good, strong, lists, though.