Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EVOLVIST, Nov 27, 2018.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

(Lol
    (Lol) Time or years matter little to me here as I always can/could find more of them that I want regardless of the original recording or manufacturing dates.

2. All Down The Line

I thought it was all the new source but I may be completely wrong?

3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

It is based on the SBd but that source is dry and no between chat, the vinyl referenced does not fit the dry sound at all. Again this is from a long a ago memory but it sounds that this recording has some elements of the reel to reel recording included.

Crazy rubbish at silly prices! There is nothing being put to boot that is not available for free and in better quality elsewhere.
    Someone's getting rich on the back of this crap!

yep, based on that at least. Again, it has been a while since I listened to that album.

smoke, EVOLVIST, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I doubt that anyone's getting rich, Gord. But agree with the rubbish part!

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yeah but vinyl sounds better :rolleyes: :biglaugh:

DTK likes this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

If the music is recorded according to high technical specifications and the mastering is superior to the cd counterpart it sometimes does.
    As far as bootleg recordings go, not a chance. Only adds extraneous noise. But there are lots of dumb people who willingly give their money away!

7. All Down The Line

So any Jimi live vinyl is bested everytime free online?
    I won't ask you about deluxe packaging comparisons as iam apparently not so clever. (Lol)

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

If the "online" option is in non destructive compression (flac) I don't see any reason to go vinyl for bootleg type material. None!
    Except for official stuff like Isle of Wight and Hendrix In The West and Band of Gypsys which was exceptionally well recorded. There I go for the old LPs.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. All Down The Line

Thanks, your first word answers my post.

DTK likes this.
  10. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

I had a senior moment as it was supposed to be typed as Stockholm Sweden. ;)

11. Gordon Johnson

I'm in no doubt, none at all!

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I have those, too

13. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A Thread Starter

May 31th, 1968, Zurich, Switzerland, Hallenstadion, "Monster Konzert"

This date is when they had a capacity crowd...and the crowd went nuts! All of these snot-nosed long hairs, gyrating and throwing seat cushions. Get off of my lawn!

I've always wondered why Jimi got angry with an unruly crowd sometimes. Yes, I'm sure much of it is that he wanted people to listen and get their money's worth. I think he really believed that he could change the world with music. Another part of me thinks that with a wild spirit, that Jimi actually dug the strict regime set by the US Army. This came from a strict (yet probably fair) raising by his father. So, for a big social event, like a concert, maybe Jimi expected discipline. Concerts are a different contract, contrasted with lazing back in the studio, getting high and riffing out ideas. Maybe. It's just a though - or two.

But hey, they ended their small Spring tour with a bang!

"Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - What guts to open up this (at the time) unknown classic. The very first time this song was performed live, to go along with the first time they played "Hear My Train," earlier in the tour. That said the tape is a little poor and the band sloppy. That doesn't mean that Hendrix didn't have his moment on lead during this take. The guitar playing is pretty well executed in and of itself; it's only that it amounts to a curiosity and not the live juggernaut that we are used to hearing. I don't think they were quite prepared to play this one live. Still, what a great artifact! 5:24

"Stone Free" - Now the band is back in their comfort zone with a tight version of a familiar. This is the take where the house official or whatever stops the song. Jimi didn't even get to his solo. Chants for Hendrix goes up. The nutty crowd gets scolded by Jimi. 3:04

"I Don't Live Today" - Probably as tight as the one in Italy, only this one is a bit more chaotic in its slightly extended outro. 1:26 to 1:56 marks a deftly played solo, sticking close to the studio feel, yet veering far enough away to make it interesting. Gun to head, I'd have to chose the one in Italy over this one. Not one I would shy away from listening to, though. Give a listen for yourself. 5:17

"Red House" - About as good a version as you will hear anytime, anywhere. I guess I'd have to shave some points off for a little meandering around the neck tapping part (Jimi joins to of these segments together). 13:41

"Hey Joe" - No grand intro this time. The band simply pours into a familiar mold and grooves on in a fine way. This version is a little loose and flowing, neither good nor bad, just a little different. Jimi plays fair, hitting a couple of clunkers in the main solo. If I didn't know any better I'd think that Hendrix was just getting through this one. I'll call it an angry version. 4:33

"Foxey Lady" - I'll only mention this one in passing...because that's what it does. It passes in almost the bullet train approach as the last number. A little slop, and a lot of gyrating by Jimi. You can hear it in his playing. It's certainly not bad, but I think it's only one you'd listen to in context of the whole show. 4:51

"Manic Depression" - This one is tighter, though Jimi goes off the rails during his main solo. It's not that good. This sucks because the solo was surrounding by some tight verses. It's 4:20 PM, though, so the song drones on, and somewhere in there I drifted away. 4:19

"Fire" - Nice solo in the beginning, from 0:11 to :022, Jimi! Yeah, great, we're hearing something a little unconventional. This take is good and spirited, and lo and behold Jimi even adds an equally effective alternate solo after the main one from 1:44 to 2:05. Let's add another blazing lead at the end for good measure. Bang! Highly recommend. 3:33

"Purple Haze" - Hendrix takes on a new tack for the intro of this take. It's another sound collage, this one great - well worth the listen - but in no way matching up to to the one on the 30th. Still, there are moments here that are also mind boggling. The band comes thrashing into the song. It's good! The solo has all of the right notes, but unfortunately not the right tone, as Jimi has an exceptionally bright sheen to the licks. - a little too bright. But you know, I would call this take fun. If you were listening to the show like I am, I think you'd groove with it until the end, too. 6:28

Thus ends the often overlooked Spring of 1968 tour (well, except for Miami Pop). Jimi would head back to The States to work more on Electric Ladyland. We have a good record of this tour, with unfortunately some missing days. Nonetheless, we're not blinded. What we have rocks!

Other Hendrix Show Reviews:
    Isle of Wight Pt. I 08-30-1970 Isle of Wight Pt. II 08-30-1970
    Monterey Pop Festival 06-18-1967
    Winterland 10-10-1968
    Winterland 10-11-1968
    Winterland 10-12-1968
    Winterland 10-12-1968 Jimi Bat
    Hollywood Bowl 09-14-1968
    Vancouver 09-07-1968
    Berlin 09-04-1970 DTK
    Royal Albert Hall 02-18-1969
    Royal Albert Hall 02-24-1969
    Flamingo Club 02-04-1967
    Berlin 09-04-1970
    Berlin 01-23-1969
    Miami Pop 05-18-1968 Former Lee Warmer
    Fillmore East 05-10-1968
    Madison Square Garden 01-28-1970
    Denver Pop Festival 06-29-1969
    Newport Pop Festival 06-20 & 22-1969
    Stockholm 01-08-1968
    Rome 05-25-1968
    Bologna 05-26-1968
    Zurich 05-30-1968

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  14. EVOLVIST

Film from the Zurich May 31st, 1968 show. Note Jimi playing the Les Paul again for "Red House," like he did at the Fillmore East earlier that month.

15. EVOLVIST

May 18th, 1968, Hallandale, Florida, Gulfstream Park, "Underground Pop Festival"

Previously reviewed by the esteemed @Former Lee Warmer, we conclude our Spring 1968 tour, out of order, but no less complete, with an official EH release. I probably should have planned it better by reviewing this one before the Rome show; still, I guess it doesn't matter; looking back on this one in context, it's clear that the whole tour was a smashing success, with little in the way of poor performances, the band fueled by early work on Electric Ladyland.

I did a little backtracking, myself, and listened to choice cuts from Italy, Switzerland, and the show at The Fillmore East, and in my mind the vibes are very similar, with perhaps the first Zurich show being a little more trippy, and Bologna being the crown jewel, simply by virtue of having a top-10 "Red House" (even if he doesn't sing one of the verses) and arguably a top "Tax Free." But hey, after listening to the "Miami Pop" release its so difficult to judge unless we're talking matters of increments.

If you don't have this Experience Hendrix release, please do yourself a favor and go get it! It's two shows in one, but to the best of my knowledge these songs are the only ones that are extant.

"Hey Joe" - Okay, this hits like a ton of bricks. "The Intro" appears and it's a mother****er. Such sweet noise. When the song, proper, rolls in it's about as heavenly as can be. Very much on the same wavelength as the famous Winterland take, and the not so famous Vancouver '68 take. The solo is made of melting wax, dripping like Easter angels...flying away. That said, it should be in running, but when the last solo comes in, there's too much vamping and not enough licks. Oh, it's great! Magic even. Does it beat Winterland? No. Is it as soulful as Vancouver? No. But it's unique and beautiful. A must listen. 6:24

"Foxey Lady" - Very effective! A great tempo with plenty of gusto. An acid sound. The main solo is from 2:28 to 3:06 and it doesn't have any bum notes, but it comes at you in chunks, rather than fluid, as It's a great listen, nonetheless. What it really amounts to is Jimi showboating (at least that's what it sounds like), putting in a lightning take...but just like lightning, it excites the crowd but passes quickly. The one from the famous video. 4:30

"Tax Free" - It's the song, sure, but Jimi takes the whole top off the start until 0:54, making different riffs swim around, before finally coming into the main theme at 1:09. First solo at 1:47, hitting those Mixolydian scales. Just listen to the break before the second solo at, 2:47 to 2:52...and then into the solo with a real psychedelic set of licks, which bends more liquid as the solo moves along. Next is Mitch's solo, which is actually damn good. When Jimi comes back in though, he shows us that he's still the main guy in this show, as 4:11 to 4:33 demonstrates, with a jazz fusion taste of wah work. From here they are just jamming! It's a wall of rhythmic sounds. At 6:00 they are back to the main theme, which sounds good coming from the cacophony. Hendrix wah work really nice here. At 6:42 we have a trippy solo which begins to drive us toward the end. No, it's not the best version ever, but man does it really sound like song!. 8:22

"Fire" - It's a document version. That is to say, it just documents that moment in time. You wouldn't throw it out of bed in the morning, but you wouldn't go back for second helpings either. Unless you want to repeat 1:34 to 1:36 on a 2 hour loop. That might be pretty great. That Jimi could even think of moments like that in context is a marvel, itself. 3:13

"Hear My Train Comin'" - The second time it was played live. The band is fully in control here, but unlike it's first performance at the Fillmore East on 05-10-1968. This is more endearing, while the first time they played it was more adventurous. The vocals are superb. From 3:11 to 3:33 has to be one of my favorite live moments by Jimi Hendrix. Indeed, Hendrix is putting forth a serious electric blues performance, as 4:21 to 4:41 demonstrates. There's no chorus vocals in this take; it's just cool as instrumental playing. Dig those hammer-ons from 5:50 to 6:01. Who thinks of that of the fly? In fact, listening again to the Fillmore take, I might have been slightly more rough on it than I should have been. They both have their pluses and minuses, yet demonstrating that the band could turn on a dime from one night to the next. 7:16

"I Don't Live Today" - It's always a treat to have this song live. Though Jimi is not getting the best tone for feedback in the verses. It's stellar, though, especially from 1:40 to 2:07, as the solo is one of his best. A must listen. It's a night for great divebombs with the whammy bar! So, right, the verses are always steady. A tight, rocking version with a great breakdown at 3:00 where Hendrix starts coloring with sound. Check out 3:39 to 3:47 from perfect whammy and sustain. That's what this version gives you: a whole lot of little moments that really gives back to the whole. A must listen. I could totally understand if the was a fave for some, but again check out that Rome show for a more all around great one. This one can't be missed, however. 4:55

"Red House" - Not as smooth as other intros, but it bounces back rather quickly as Jimi begins to glide. There are some ultra sweet moments on the second set of solos during the intro. By the time the vocals come in, I've washed away with Jimi as the journey begins. It's all so nice and bluesy. The main solo doesn't really have the balls to match what came before, but it's not a bad solo by any means. In fact, it gets better when Jimi goes full on fuzz-face with the band galloping along at at 5:31. Here was also find a neat way to transition into the neck napping bit. Noel is really getting down with some nice fills in this section, too. Jimi takes back seat now, as we hear some of Noel's best improv on tape. When Jimi comes back in, though, it's not as effective as usual. But hey, a great listen! I love the part from 9:40 to 9:59 as Jimi proves again the power of improv that only Hendrix could pull off. This frame of mind really takes the last verse to a good place: settled and imaginative. The only problem is that it fights against magnificent Bologna take, and an almost equal 2nd night at Zurich. Not the best, but you wouldn't be cursed by giving it a damn good listen. 12:08

"Purple Haze" - Meh. Oh, I forgot to write something. It's kind of cool, but not really. The weakest song of the whole set. The band was wanting to get out a guess, since these songs are out of order. 4:22

"Fire" - Now this is a frantic and cool take in not-so-sloppy-but-sloppy-enough way. Like adrenaline. I'm not glossing over it. It just rolls like that and worth a listen for an example of early thrash music. 3:09

"Foxey Lady" - Much of the same energy as "Fire." Flip a coin to choose which version you'd want to listen to from these concerts, but then forget the coin flip and chose this one (or whatever). The band is strong and so is Jimi. It has some noise rock to it, but Jimi is in total control. I thought I heard an elephant trumpet. Break down! 4:59

Reading back now, I'm surprised that my review so closely resembles @Former Lee Warmer's review, only I didn't think so much of this set's "Purple Haze." I guess I still have the first night at Zurich ringing through my ears (or maybe even those slower takes at Winterland). Nevertheless, it's pure glee that EH released this show, and it makes it even better by hearing the whole Spring '68 tour in context.

Next up, 1969...

Other Hendrix Show Reviews:
    Isle of Wight Pt. I 08-30-1970 Isle of Wight Pt. II 08-30-1970
    Monterey Pop Festival 06-18-1967
    Winterland 10-10-1968
    Winterland 10-11-1968
    Winterland 10-12-1968
    Winterland 10-12-1968 (Jimi Bat)
    Hollywood Bowl 09-14-1968
    Vancouver 09-07-1968
    Berlin 09-04-1970 (DTK)
    Royal Albert Hall 02-18-1969
    Royal Albert Hall 02-24-1969
    Flamingo Club 02-04-1967
    Berlin 09-04-1970
    Berlin 01-23-1969
    Miami Pop 05-18-1968 (Former Lee Warmer)
    Fillmore East 05-10-1968
    Madison Square Garden 01-28-1970
    Denver Pop Festival 06-29-1969
    Newport Pop Festival 06-20 & 22-1969
    Stockholm 01-08-1968
    Rome 05-25-1968
    Bologna 05-26-1968
    Zurich 05-30-1968
    Zurich 05-31-1968

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    xilef regnu, Jimi Bat, DTK and 6 others like this.
  16. EVOLVIST

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder (after all, you should have seen this one girl I dated back in junior high. Woof!).

Better even, subjectivity is great!

So, what do you think is the best Jimi Hendrix show - performance wise - from beginning to end?

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think it would have to be RAH 24 Feb 69 (despite the slightly fluffed ending).

powerpc, SG47, DTK and 3 others like this.
  18. All Down The Line

A sure fire contender.

DTK likes this.
  19. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Voodoo Chile on the Berkeley album's great.

Did he do Voodoo Chile at Woodstock ?
    (If so is it available? ).

20. Gordon Johnson

yes and yes :)

And I recall Stepping Stone being included in this too.

E.Baba likes this.
  21. All Down The Line

He incorporated some of Stepping Stone into the performance off memory.

22. All Down The Line

I think the (unreleased in full by EH) Berkeley set with Johnny B. Goode & Hear My Train A Comin' is in contention as it is an excellent show even though not everything is as sky high as those cuts naturally.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  23. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Was wondering if there's been an 'expanded' edition or something of Berkley since the 2lp I have.
    I guess not from your comment.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think too uneven to be in real contention. Some stunning well-known highpoints. But Fire, Freedom and Ezy Rider are pretty sloppy.

SG47 and EVOLVIST like this.
  25. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Unfortunately no. We really need a full Berkeley with both sets, the rehearsals and both cuts of Jimi Plays Berkeley all in one place. Judging by the ELL 50th package, to say it's not likely is an understatement.