10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 3, 2019.

1. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Marriage Bureau Rendezvous

This is a very strong mid 1970s melodic rock track, with its excellent harmonies; with some musical twists and turns and lyrical wit to (wrongly) suggest that Goldley & Creme would not be missed in the longer term. This is easily on a par with their best material.

Could (or indeed was) the final lines "And I think we're gonna say goodbye to the bureau / Close the files, turn the page, start anew". regarded as a comment on "5cc's" split from G&C?

yesstiles and mark winstanley like this.
  2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Marriage Bureau Rendezvous
    It's just a small step sideways to the man who's in dire need of a date, so where did he go mid seventies ?

Neatly arranged positive song without any dark side, twists or surprises, but it works. It's like a slow flowing mountain creek.
    Intro with GG singing 'up there' and playing layers of sub bass (I hadn't noticed before).
    One of the best parts follows the middle part wouldn't it be fine when ...I find her. There's a gentle duel /dance of a jazzy guitar and a bass both playing ladders, with a slide guitar on the side.
    Every guy will recognize the second to last verse that describes how he prepares for a date: So I'm squeaky clean ....... I'll be stinkin' so good like I'm drowning in a sea of cologne.
    The track has lots of organ and slide guitars all over and sounds polished and ready. By this time on the album I am really beginning to long for some nasty, venomous or quirky elements previously provided by Godley & Creme.

Next we'll find out how Stewart and Gouldman recovered from Kevin putting a finger in his throat upon hearing an early version of People In Love and waving bye-bye.

BZync and mark winstanley like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Song reference guide

10cc - Who Are they?
    - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

10cc documentary - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Some Graham Gouldman hits from the sixties
    - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    Mindbenders - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Kevin Godley to fly away 1969 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    Graham Gouldman The Late Mr Late 1969 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Hotlegs - Thinks:School Stinks - 1970 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 1 Neanderthal Man 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 2 How Many Times 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 3 Desperate Dan 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 4 Take Me Back 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 5 Um Wah, Um Woh 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 6 Suite F.A. 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 7 Fly Away 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 8 Run Baby Run 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 9 All God's Children 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Today 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Donna/Hot Sun Rock - 1972 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Johnny Don't Do It/ 4% Of Something - dec 1972 - 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff

Rubber Bullets/Waterfall june 73 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

10cc July 1973 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Johnny Don't Do It 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 2 Sand In My Face 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Donna 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 4 The Dean And I 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Headline Hustler 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Speed Kills 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Rubber Bullets 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 The Hospital Song 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 9 Ships Don't Just Disappear In The Night (do they?) 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 10 Fresh Air For Mama 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side Bee In My Bonnet 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Sheet Music 1974 - 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Wall street Shuffle 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 Worst Band In The World 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Hotel 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 4 Old Wild Men 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Clockwork Creep 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Silly Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Somewhere In Hollywood 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 Baron Samedi 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 9 The Sacro-Iliac 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 10 Oh Effendi 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side Gizmo My Way 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    b-side 18 Carat Man Of Means 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

The Original Soundtrack March 1975 - 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Une Nuit A Paris 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 I'm not In Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Blackmail 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 4 Second Sitting For The Last Supper 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Brand New Day 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Flying Junk 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Life Is A Minestrone 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 The Film Of My Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side Channel Swimmer 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    b-side Good News 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

100cc June 1975 (compilation) - 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

How Dare You? January 1976 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 How Dare You? 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 Lazy Ways 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 I Wanna Rule The World 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 4 I'm Mandy Fly Me 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 5 Iceberg 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 6 Art For Art's Sake 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 7 Rock And Roll Lullaby 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 8 Head Room 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 9 Don't Hang Up 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side Get It While You Can 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It 1976 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Neanderthal Man 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 2 How Many Times 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 3 Desperate Dan 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 4 Take Me Back 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 5 Um Wah, Um Woh 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 6 Suite F.A. 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 7 Fly Away 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 8 Run Baby Run 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 9 All God's Children 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 10 The Loser 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 11 Today 10CC and Godley and Creme their albums and songs and stuff
    track 12 Lady Sadie 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 13 You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

The Split 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

Deceptive Bends May 1977 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 1 Good morning Judge 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 2 Things We Do For Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    track 3 Marriage Bureau Rendezvous 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

b-side Don't Squeeze Me Like toothpaste 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    b-side Hot To Trot 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*
    alt Voodoo Boogie - People In Love 10cc / Godley & Creme album-by-album thread*

BeSteVenn likes this.
  4. footprintsinthesand

Next song will be Monday ? (after 5.1 break).

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

Yea mate

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  6. Since it seems I'm one of the very few people that don't care that much for The Things We Do For Love and prefer the original version of People In Love with G&C, this second track with the classic lineup is a terrific discovery for me, even if the mix is very rough.
    Thank you so much for posting!

dvakman and mark winstanley like this.
  7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

April Fools Day in June, I like it!

dvakman and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

People In Love
    This is a really nicely constructed ballad. Of course it has a somewhat quirky lyric, because even without G&C the guys had a certain angle they come from when it comes to lyrics.
    It is when we get to this part of the album that we realise we need to listen to this album with a different mindset to the prior albums. As @footprintsinthesand said, we are getting to the stage in the album where we somewhat expect something a little crazy, whether by G&C or any combination of writers, that includes one or both of them. To some folks that will be an irredeemable loss, and to others a blessed relief ....
    This is a beautifully written love song, and has all the characteristics of a great love song, but particularly a wonderful chord progression.
    It probably needed a more uptempo song before it, to really give it the space it needed to stand out.
    As it is, I like the song, but to some degree, there are more slow/slower songs than one expects on a 10cc album, and that again comes back to the fact that we need to listen to this album with a slightly different mindset.

9. footprintsinthesand

People In Love
    Track #4, already longing for something quirky to slap you in the face, it's People In Love. Stewart must have felt he really had something to prove about this song to former band members Kevin and Lol. So Del Newman was called to go arrange and conduct strings that would get Barry White's approval. As listeners we put vaseline on a pair of pink coloured glasses, enjoy some fine sugar coated super soft candy and imagine two angels playing air violin mid-air close to our ear on both sides.

If you're gonna do a love song, better go all the way. Balance the words and instruments, tempo, all mellow. If there was any doubt about the quality of the song, with the added strings that is gone. Mission accomplished.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  10. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

My very favorite 10cc song. Guitar solo and strings are beautiful. This is a 10 out of 5 for me.

11. Goldstar 10cc get a proper string section.
    And a final chorus key change.
    Masterful pop songwriting.. but for a couple dorky chord changes. 4/5

12. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

People In Love - pure love, amazing song!!!

ralphb97 and mark winstanley like this.
  13. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

OK, so Stewart wanted to be able to do a more Paul McCartney kind of thing, decided enough was enough as far as the bandwide ban on MOR sentiment was concerned, took a stand with the others, first they dumped *him* briefly, and then when they realized that Gouldman wouldn't necessarily have much to do with Consequences, they split.

I agree that Eric (and Graham, I'm assuming, in terms of chords and/or melody) did a decent enough job here, but was it worth it?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'people in love' is a real nice, oft-overlooked in the realm of 10cc, song.

15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

If it satisfied their artistic desire, then yes.

BeSteVenn and mark winstanley like this.
  16. Blame The Machines

People In Love

I love this track. I admire how they decided to wholeheartedly bring on the strings & the schmaltz on this MOR track musically. You could easily imagine Karen Carpenter; Olivia Newton-John or Gladys Knight singing this.

17. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

People In Love...as we say here in the South. A purdy song. My favorite 10cc song.

ralphb97 and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

During the last third part of People in Love, there's that really sweet instrumental passage with a guitar effect that's sounding a bit like a submarine radar blip. I like that effect and it ties into the cover art. Great song, but not my favorite from the LP.

19. mark winstanley

Modern Man Blues
    I really like this track. We get a little bit of punch back into the mix here, and although written in a blues styling, it has so much more to it.
    We start with that pulsating bass and some guitars adding accents.
    The vocal is really attacked hard, and works very effectively.
    I personally love the little unison drum and guitar change at the 1:03 mark of the song.
    Then at the end of this section we get a complete style change as we bounce along into an up feel, celebrating that the nagging woman has gone.
    We then slide back into the space blues, with a nice lead break giving us time to soak up the details.
    This is a great little song to end side one. The guys keep it interesting, and give us something to break up the more gentle love songs, and this for me gives the album enough flavour to enjoy the whole meal.

Ludger, Blame The Machines and BZync like this.
  20. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Modern Man Blues kind of reminds me of Blackmail from The Original Soundtrack. I guess it's the way it rocks, it's a bit bluesy and goes through some changes that hang together nicely. The line "Your dinner's in the cat" is hilarious.

21. footprintsinthesand

Modern Man Blues

I crawled home from my work
    And this note said she was gone
    Said your dinner's in the cat
    And your love is out the door

Now we're talking :agree:
    Break-up is here finally (the 'why' in the 2nd verse) and it's back to the single man's life. We've all been there.

Excellent intro with the volatile oboe and the organ. First verse paints the picture with a lot of tenacity in the vocals, second verse has the pair's toxic interaction and greener grass. Then we get a first short taste of a great chorus ... she's gone etc ... complete with hey and wooh, which is the backbone of the song.
    Back to the intro and next is the excellent guitar break interacting with the oboe and some piano.
    And the final verse has Graham gently making a point and Eric frantically hammering it home a couple of times. The chorus on repeat takes it home with classic rock guitar and piano.
    Very clever composition, true 10cc.

Best track on side A (DOWN).

22. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Modern Man Blues - another great track, perhaps not amongst the very best on the album but still very good!

23. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Deceptive Bends is a very strong album. So strong that a quality song like Marriage Bureau is it's weakest track. The worst I can say about this track is only in comparison to the rest of the tracks. It plods along inoffensively for four minutes. It's a pleasant listen but not much more than that.

This is so true. Deceptive Bends certainly has its share of quirky but nothing crazy. I do like the odder 10cc stuff but find it very hit and miss. But with an album as strong as Deceptive Bends, it's hard to miss the crazy too much. People In Love is a beautiful song. I think it suffers from following up Marriage Bureau - two slower tracks in a row. But, taken on its own, its a ballad that McCartney would have been proud to write. It starts out pleasant enough but takes a sudden turn into the sublime with "ooo sitting alone in the dark". The arrangement is lovely and the guitar solo is perfectly suited to such a melodic track.

Modern Man Blues shows how much 10cc was a band and not just two teams of writers. This one sounds like it could have been an outtake from How Dare You. It sounds to my ears like Godley & Crème are still around. Very like them to use the chorus to take the piss out of the verses. Musically this is a really interesting track as it really is two songs. The blues based verses are quite well done and are satisfying by themselves. The chorus is clever and fun - and a great sing along to boot.

In terms of sequencing, I may not have put Marriage Bureau and People In Love back to back, but Modern Man Blues is an excellent way to end an album side.

24. mark winstanley

This is exactly the problem I see. The only problem mind you. I like both the songs, but I don't think they should be allowed to sit next to each other in class.

BZync likes this.
  25. Blame The Machines

Modern Man Blues

This sounds like something The Beatles would have come up with had they made an album circa 1974/5 as it has a very bluesy McCartney-esque feel to it, with some nice Progressive rock time signatures; a little bit of Roxy Music; and some American Southern Rock thrown in for good measure. I love the she's gone ... vocal licks.

BZync, Ludger and mark winstanley like this.