Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Weird, the cover picture is an "x" on Fun In Acapulco too.
    This is a great sounding album. It is probably the best engineered soundtrack he recorded. Here the two bonus tracks from For The Asking sessions makes it clear the For The Asking LP has been shelved.

Beginning with Fun In Acapulco the soundtracks sold about the same as Elvis Is Back, Something For Everybody and Pot Luck during their initial chart run, about 300K. The two post Girls, Girls, Girls exception were Roustabout at 450K and Girl Happy at 400K. And after Harum Scarum they sold in the 175K to 250K realm. Spinout managed the basic 300K however. Again we are not talking ultimate lifetimes sales, but initial chart run sales.

The reason soundtracks sold better than studio albums in the first half of the 60s is two fold: 1: The movie promoted the album. And 2: many of the soundtracks had a hit single associated with them--they were promoted by a lead single. The studio albums really had no useful promotion, as they did not include a single until From Elvis In Memphis. Most of the 70s studio albums also included a single (hit or otherwise).

But it seems the soundtrack formula based on the successes of GI Blues and Blue Hawaii, and to a lesser extent Girls Girls Girls, was maintained regardless of how well it sold albums due to being locked in to contracts. But the movies themselves made more money than the albums did anyway. The Colonel had little incentive to make studio albums, and the contractual obligation to RCA was fulfilled by the soundtrack albums and singles.

It would have been a wise commercial tactic to include at least one hit single on each of the studio albums. From my collector's standpoint, I am glad they did not. I LIKED the policy that a Golden Records albums only collected non-LP hits so they would not repeat material on LPs. (So many artists back then had LPs where some songs were on more than one LP, not even including Greatest Hits LPs!) The exception was the first one that included Love Me, Loving You and Teddy Bear. They could have easily substituted My Baby Left Me, Playing For Keeps and I Was The One, which would have affected the future release of For LP Fans Only and by domino effect A Date With Elvis. But they had I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine, Don't Leave Me Now (Jailhouse Rock version) and Let Me at least to fill the gap there.

But that policy also had casualties. Come What May, High Heel Sneakers, I'm Leavin', The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, America The Beautiful, Softly As I Leave You, It's Only Love, Rags To Riches, Where Did They Go Lord, The Sound Of Your Cry, Unchained Melody, the Jailhouse Rock version of Don't Leave Me Now, I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine, the single versions of American Trilogy, It's A Long Lonely Highway, Doncha Think It's Time, A Little Less Conversation, and My Way (maybe I am forgetting a couple?) did not find their way to an album until after his death. Fools Fall In Love was buried in a Camden soundtrack compilation, I Got Lucky.

Other than World Wide Gold Award Hits vol 1 or vol 2 the following did not find a way to an album during Elvis' lifetime: Suspicious Minds, Don't Cry Daddy, Kentucky Rain, I've Lost You, Patch It Up, Tell Me Why, Let Me, Extended Play (undubbed) version of Lover Doll. And these two LPs missed the Jailhouse Rock version of Don't Leave Me Now and the single version of Doncha Think It's Time (which became the more common version since the 90s, in fact the LP version is not even used on the Album Collection as it SHOULD have been).

So Elvis collecting has been a pain in the ass since day one. And it continues to this day as RCA/BMG/Sony make editorial errors with just about every intention, policy or series of releases they have ever done. Lecture/rant over.

Iceman08, RSteven, GillyT and 5 others like this.
  2. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Yeah and don't even get me started on 'I Want to be Free' on CD!

mark winstanley and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  3. SKATTERBRANE

Well if we also include such errors, my above list would probably double! Yes, the I Want To Be Free situation is depressing, but at least you can get (other than FTD) it in its proper spliced edit on the Essential Elvis volume 1 CD from 1988. (though that CD does not have great sound quality).

When In Rome and mark winstanley like this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

Some of the songs may be silly like The Bullfighter Was A Lady or There's No Room To Rumba In A Sports Car, but I don't mind. The overall feel of the album is relaxing and makes me think I am on a vacation. And the sound of the recordings is top notch. Of course Elvis' performance still is of the highest standard.

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I found it interesting that some of the lyrics are a little risque.
    I really like the bull fighter was a lady :)

RSteven and django5722 like this.
  6. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I have always loved this song. One of his best! I really love the remixes of this where they borrow some licks from other Elvis tunes as well.

Elvis Presley - Bossa Nova Baby - Remix 2012

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The three Alanna Nash books, taken together, constitute the best comprehensive Elvis biography available, in my opinion.

RSteven, Spencer R and Dave112 like this.
  8. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I like the fact that she is, but I don’t think much of the song. ;)

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. I’ve come to enjoy Fun In Acapulco, somewhat surprisingly as I used to rank it pretty low. Other than its quite good sound quality, I can’t make a legitimate case for it, so let’s just call it a guilty pleasure.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Bossa Nova Baby is a pretty good song that's uncharacteristic of his work at the time. It's kind of sad Elvis was reduced to covering Leiber and Stoller songs at this point, when (if not for the Colonel's penurious arrangements) they would have been happy to write him some new songs. Notably, this is the last Elvis song to chart R&B (it made it to #20).

Tord, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Fun in Acapulco is another film I enjoyed watching with my daughter so it's another one for which I'm probably going too easy on the music. If I look at it objectively, the soundtrack is pretty much bereft of any rock and roll whatsoever, which was not a good move for Elvis to be making at the time. It's pretty much all light pop with a Latin flavor. That said, several of the songs are pretty good light pop. I like the title song, and "Mexico" and "I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here" are also quite catchy, with the Latin instrumentation adding a different dimension that seems cool in retrospect. The aforementioned "Bossa Nova Baby" is a good song and well performed. I even have a soft spot for "There's No Room to Rhumba in a Sports Car"... it's undeniably silly, but still entertaining.

That said, some of the material is quite bad. "Guadalajara" is little more than Elvis shouting mispronounced Spanish for 3 minutes. "The Bullfighter was a Lady" is a dopey song that (unlike "Rhumba") is not catchy or entertaining in the least. And I'd say that "El Toro" was easily the worst song Elvis had recorded at that point (and I'd also consider it a strong contender for worst song he ever recorded). Overall it's a very mixed bag. But as I said, in retrospect the Latin influence is kind of cool, because it makes it unlike any other Elvis record.

12. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide
    1959 home recording
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 23 1960
    Touch Of Gold Vol 3 EP

Mar 23 1960
    Stuck on you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Fame And Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1960
    Elvis Is Back
    track 1 Make Me Know It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Girl Of My Best Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Will Be Home Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Dirty Dirty Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Thrill Of Your Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Soldier Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Girl Next Door Went a Walkin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Like A Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Reconsider Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 12 1960
    Elvis - Frank Sinatra show

Jul 5 1969

It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Mess O' Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1960
    GI Blues
    track 1 Tonight Is So Right For Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 What's She Really Like Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Frankfort Special Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 GI Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Pocket Full Of Rainbows Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Shoppin' Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Big Boots Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Didja Ever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Blues Suede Shoes (revisited) Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Doin' The Best I Can Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1960
    Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Live 1972 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 23 1960
    His Hand In Mine
    track 1 His Hand In Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I;m Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 In My Fathers House Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Milky White Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I Believe In The Man In The Sky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Joshua Fit The Battle Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 He Knows Just What I Need Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mansion On the Hilltop Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 If We Never Meet Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Working On The Building Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 7 1961
    Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Lonely Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

March 25 1961
    Pearl Harbour Concert - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 21 1961
    Flaming star EP
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 2 1961
    I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Wild In The country Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 19 1961
    Something For Everybody
    track 1 There's Always Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Give Me The Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 It's A Sin Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Sentimental Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Starting today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Gently Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 I'm Comin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 In your Arms Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Put The Blame On Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Judy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Want You With Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

August 8 1961
    His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

October 20 1961
    Blue Hawaii
    track 1 Blue Hawaii Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Almost always True Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Aloha Oe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 No More Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Can't help Falling in love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Rock a-hoola baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Moonlight Swim Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Ku'uipo Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Ito Eats Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Slicin' Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Hawaiian Sunset Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Beach Boy blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 Island Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 14 Hawaiian Wedding Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

November 21 1961
    Can't help falling in Love/Rock-a-Hula Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

February 27 1962
    Good Luck Charm Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Anything That's A Part Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 1962
    Follow That Dream EP
    track 1 Follow That Dream Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Angel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 What a Wonderful Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I'm Not The Marrying Kind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 5 1962
    Pot Luck
    track 1 Kiss Me Quick Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Just For Old Time Sake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Gonna Get back home Somehow Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 (such an) Easy question Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Steppin' Out Of Line Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm Yours Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Something Blue Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Suspicion Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 I Feel That I've Known you Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Night Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Fountain Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 That's Someone You Never Forget Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

July 17 1962
    She's Not You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Just Tell her Jim Said Hello Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

August 28 1962
    Kid Galahad EP
    track 1 King Of The Whole Wide World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 This Is Living Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Riding The Rainbow Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Home Is Where The Heart Is Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 I Got Lucky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Whistling Tune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

October 2 1962
    Return To Sender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Where Do You Come From Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

November 9 1962
    Girls Girls Girls
    track 1 Girls Girls Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I Don't Wanna Be Tied Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Where Do you Come From Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Don't Want To Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 We'll Be Together Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Boy Like Me, A girl Like You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Earth Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Return To Sender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Because Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Thanks To The Rolling Sea Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Song Of The Shrimp Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 The Walls Have Ears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 We're Coming in Loaded Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

January 29 1963
    One Broken Heart For Sale Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    They Remind Me too Much of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

April 10 1963
    It happened At The World's Fair
    track 1 Beyond The bend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Relax Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Take Me To The Fair Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 They Remind Me Too Much Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 One Broken Heart For Sale Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm falling In love Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Cotton Candy Land Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 World Of Our Own Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 How Would You Like To Be Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Happy ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 18 1963
    Devil In Disguise Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Please Don't Drag that String Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

August 12 1963
    Elvis Golden Records Vol. 3
    1 It's Now or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    2 Stuck on You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    3 Fame and Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    4 I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    5 Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    6 I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    7 Are You Lonesome Tonight? Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    8 (Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    9 Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    10 Good Luck Charm Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    11 Anything That's Part of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    12 She's Not You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1963
    Bossa Nova Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    remix Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Witchcraft Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1963
    Fun In Acapulco

13. mark winstanley

14. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I sheepishly agree. :)

And if you haven’t heard this version, you’re in for a treat...

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  15. mark winstanley

Mr Bonzo Dog lol

16. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I think Acapulco is underrated for the most part. We continue to think of these as Elvis albums rather than soundtrack albums, and to market them as such might have been a good idea at the time, but has resulted in a kind of strange view of them. The Acapulco soundtrack is a very nice souvenir of a film that is indeed "fun." And that's the point. The Bullfighter was a lady was never meant to be compared to Little Sister or Reconsider Baby, but as a cute piece of whimsy . This material isn't meant to be taken seriously or challenge the pop charts. Elvis clearly relishes the chance to sing the Latin rhythms that he had been toying with for a while and he is in good voice. Neither the film or album fail to out a smile on my face, and Elvis gives a good performance in the film, clearly relaxed in the hands of director Richard Thorpe who had guided him through Jailhouse Rock just five years earlier.

Iceman08, RSteven, DirkM and 3 others like this.
  17. mark winstanley

Totally agree ...
    I have never been a soundtrack guy ... I think the only soundtrack album I ever had was The Big Chill, and of course that was a great soundtrack, but completely different to these, and contained a bunch of songs I loved but didn't have on albums at the time.
    Being essentially new to the Elvis soundtrack albums, except for the obvious songs, and the couple of movies I actually saw, I find most of them to be pretty good.
    I was quite serious in suggesting earlier, if
    - These soundtracks in some way inspired the soon to be common "concept" albums, as most of them have a very identifiable concept.
    - These soundtracks in some way inspired the modern movie soundtracks that bundle together some famous artists and hits to create something other than incidental music soundtracks.
    Also I find it intriguing that the various location and subject matter exposed Elvis to a lot of different styles of music that he may have not tried ... That of course being a double edged sword.

Also, I think that the expectations for the soundtrack albums was probably lifted a little too high with "Loving You" and "King Creole" in particular being such high quality albums in their own right.

croquetlawns, Iceman08 and RSteven like this.
  18. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

While I'm a fan of almost all of Elvis' recordings, his movies are a mixed bag for me. None are stellar IMO except That's The Way It Is and only a few are worth my time watching. Fun in Acapulco has its memorable moments. I haven't seen the movie in 20+ years but I do still remember getting a chuckle from the street savy little boy negotiating Colonel Parker style as Elvis' character's manager. The only other highlight that I can recall is his singing "Bossa Nova Baby" in a club scene.

19. SKATTERBRANE

Well then there is Ursula Andres.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

His version of Suspicion is also fantastic.

21. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

I really think that Fun in Acupulco was the best if the travelogues. Blue Hawaii is up there too, of course, but the pacing slips midway through . Many would argue for Viva Las Vegas, but I have never seen the attraction, though it certainly has moments that are very good. But the editing let's it down, and dueectdi George Sidney rightfully grudged being told to cut fifteen minutes of material.

22. mark winstanley

Fun In Acapulco
    Written By :
    Ben Weisman & Sid Wayne

Recorded :
    Radio Recorders, Hollywood, January 22-24, 1963: January 23, 1963. take 1

Released 1963[1]
    Recorded January 23, 1963
    Length 2:30
    Label RCA Victor
    Songwriter(s)
    Ben Weisman (music), Sid Wayne (lyrics)
    [2][1]
    "Fun in Acapulco" is a song first recorded by Elvis Presley as part of the soundtrack for his 1963 motion picture Fun in Acapulco. It was released on the eponymous soundtrack album in 1963.

In some countries, the song was also released on a single or on an eponymous EP.

The Australian Kent Music Report (calculated in retrospect using archival data) lists the song "Fun in Acapulco" for 15 weeks, with the peak of 28 on the week of February 22, 1964.[3]

7" single (Victor SS - 1413, Japan, February 1964)[1]
    1. "Fun In Acapulco" (2:28)
    2. "Marguerita" (2:39)
    7" single (RCA 101551, Australia, 1964)[1]
    1. "Fun In Acapulco" (2:30)
    2. "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here" (2:51)
    7" EP (RCA Victor EPA - 9106, Germany, 1964)[1]
    1. "Fun In Acapulco"
    2. "(There's) No Room To Rhumba In A Sports Car"
    3. "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here"
    4. "Mexico"
    -----------------------------------------------
    For such a short song this track has a fairly long intro, with the percussion leading us into the track and then the music and backing vocals leading into the start of the vocals. This is a very cool song a very apt starting song for this album. I get the impression that Elvis is still having fun with this at this stage, and perhaps that's because he is getting to sing a slightly different style of music with this album.

Tord and Dave112 like this.
  23. mark winstanley

Vino, Dinero Y Amor
    Written By :
    Roy C. Bennett & Sid Tepper

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, January 22-24, 1963: January 22, 1963. take 5

A fun track with lots of whoopin' and a hollerin'. An uptempo, song about partying. We get a taste of Mariachi and plenty carry on from the townsfolk. Nothing special as a song, but very good in the context of a movie track. There is an overwhelming feeling of fun in this soundtrack.

24. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I generally prefer pop to rock, so the fact that Fun In Acapulco is bereft of rock & roll isn't a problem to me. Many of the songs took a while to grow on me (and some are still growing), but I enjoy the album as an exotic experience of sorts, and there are some songs that I outright love. The title track is one of them; I could listen to that melody forever, and Elvis' vocal is gorgeous. No idea why they faded the song out on the Double Features/Command Performances version, but I suppose the cold stop might be seen as killing the dreamy mood?

25. SKATTERBRANE

I also love the title track. And wine, money and love song is fun, a hoot!

RSteven, mark winstanley and Dave112 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.