Grateful Dead Archival Live Release Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Al Gator, Feb 5, 2021.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I just listened to it (while working) and it definitely had its moments but it didn't send me. I don't know about best of the year... I always preferred the one from Foxboro but I never did a side-by-side comparison or anything. And of course, 9-18-90 is nothing to sneeze at, as I recall.

bzfgt, Al Gator and Crispy Rob like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Um … was this one of the Shakedown Stream’s last year? If not, then I’m not sure I’ve even seen/heard it?! I’m not sure how I missed out on adding this to the collection :sigh:

bzfgt and Al Gator like this.
  3. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto Voodoo all night long

So I guess this isn't DiP 18 week...whoops!

bzfgt and Al Gator like this.
  4. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al Thread Starter

I can't always find a definitive release date, so when all I have is the month I just guess; DP18 is next week. I do post next week's show at the end of the thread guide each week.

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I was at the other two you mention, so I have a psychological interest in you being right. To me 9-18-90 is a keyboard hellscape wasteland.....kind of good, though. Foxboro I will accept as a serious contender, and also the other one I was at that year, 3-29. Last time I heard all those Pittsburgh seemed like the best of them though. I'll listen to it again and see if I'm right.

uzn007, trd and Al Gator like this.
  6. bzfgt

Yes it was.

SJR likes this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Right. Then I’ve seen it :righton:

bzfgt likes this.
  8. bzfgt

Kind of boring show overall. On the other hand, I maybe have some kind of mental block about summer 1990, because I feel like all the shows I know from then have long stretches of mediocrity and people often disagree with me about that.

Dahabenzapple, trd, SJR and 1 other person like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Summer '90 still has a lot to be said for it, but it wasn't nearly as good as the previous Spring and Fall tours, IMHO of course.

ARK, trd, Crazy Otto and 3 others like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Interestingly, Eyes>Estimated had become the more common order by that point. After the return of the slow Eyes at Albany on 3/25/90 (a show where Estimated wasn't played), the flip started on 3/29/90, and from that show through '95 they played Eyes first 12 times, and Estimated first only 5 times (not counting a few shows where they played Eyes first but there were other songs before Estimated). The last time both were played in a row, however, on 2/26/95, went back to the old order.

ARK, ianuaditis, trd and 8 others like this.
  11. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

My opinion doesn't mean much here but to my ears 3/29/90 is a favorite. I am more here to learn. I did just get Dave's vol 36 and it doesn't impress me much. (Hartford 87)

12. Al Gator

That is interesting, I hadn't realized that; I will have to admit that I'm pretty uneducated on the '92-'95 period. I do know that I much prefer the slower version of Eyes that returned in Spring 1990 to the faster '80s versions; this is a song that needed to take its time to unwind.

ianuaditis, trd, Crazy Otto and 3 others like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

'90 through '91 was really when they played Eyes>Estimated the most. After that, it was still more common than the other order, but it was far more common than either at that point for both songs to appear separately. Also, I think Pittsburgh '90 was only the second time they appeared in that order (but first time both songs were played together since Nassau), so the pattern was only starting to emerge at the time of this show. Then they did it again a few days later in Foxboro, and so on.

SJR, ianuaditis, trd and 5 others like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was at the Albany 3/25/90 show which marked the return of the slow Eyes, and was very excited. Glad they stuck with it from then on. That said, I was also at the last faster version, Harford 3/19/90, and it wasn't too shabby.

SJR, trd, adamos and 4 others like this.
  15. Crazy Otto

Yeah, I usually check this to verify I'm on the right release, just spaced it this week :shrug:

Al Gator likes this.
  16. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

I think this is the only official CD I don't own. We can split a used copy!

Al Gator and SJR like this.
  17. trd

trd Forum Resident

I didn’t realize that 11/4/77 was the first time they had played them in that order. I was very surprised that it happened only once more in 1979 and not again until 3/29/90. I wonder if there was something they discussed while prepping the setlist with Branford that resulted in them resurrecting Eyes>Estimated? Something happened for them to bring back an a rarely performed arrangement that they hadn’t touched in 11 years.

18. bzfgt

I always thought it had to do with them slowing it down, although that doesn't necessarily make sense

Al Gator, uzn007 and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That's my guess too, since it started with the second version since they went back to the slower tempo. It does seem like it would be more awkward to transition to Estimated from a much faster tempo.

Al Gator, bzfgt and trd like this.
  20. Crazy Otto

View From The Vault, Vol. 1: 8/7/90 Pittsburgh

Just a couple of notes about this release, since I agree with pretty much everything that has been said regarding setlist, performance and sound; it’s ok, but isn’t anything approaching essential.
    • The main show is more fun to watch than to just listen to...it’s always a treat to see that lineup on stage, especially the Jerry-Brent interaction.

• This is probably my favorite performance of Tom Thumb; I don’t think I’ve ever heard such a relaxed delivery from Phil on anything, he sounds really good. Eyes is excellent, as are Black Peter, Throwing Stones and Heaven’s Door.

• 7/6 is among my favorite Summer ‘90 shows, so the filler is a familiar and welcome addition. I love this version of Standing on the Moon, and there are few jams out of He’s Gone that top this one, IMO.

hyde park, Driver8, trd and 8 others like this.
  21. Al Gator

I will probably post this week's show on Thursday evening, as I won't be able to get to it on Friday.

Gollum, Spazros, superstar19 and 2 others like this.
  22. Al Gator

Clickable thread guide

List of releases

By Release Date
    By Concert Date
    This week: 1978-02-03 Madison, 1978-02-05 Cedar Falls (released 2000-06 on Dick's Picks 18)
    Next week: 1971-04-25...29 New York (released 2000-10-10 on Ladies and Gentlemen... The Grateful Dead)

23. Al Gator

[​IMG]

Dick's Picks Volume 18

Recording date: February 3, 4, 5, 1978
    Recording location: Dane County Coliseum, Madison, Wisconsin (Feb 3); Milwaukee Auditorium, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Feb 4); UNI-Dome, Cedar Falls, Iowa (Feb 5)
    Release date: June, 2000
    Recorded by: Betty Cantor-Jackson

Disc 1
    1. "Bertha" (2/5) (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter) – 6:42
    2. "Good Lovin" (2/5) (Rudy Clark, Arthur Resnick) – 6:14
    3. "Cold Rain and Snow" (2/3) (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 6:17
    4. "New Minglewood Blues" (2/5) (traditional, arranged by Bob Weir) – 5:42
    5. "They Love Each Other" (2/3) (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:42
    6. "It's All Over Now" (2/4) (Bobby Womack, Shirley Womack) – 7:40
    7. "Dupree's Diamond Blues" (2/4) (Garcia, Hunter) – 4:37
    8. "Looks Like Rain" (2/3) (Weir, Barlow) – 7:59
    9. "Brown-Eyed Women" (2/3) (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:34
    10. "Passenger" (2/5) (Phil Lesh, Peter Monk) – 5:41
    11. "Deal" (2/5) (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:35
    12. "The Music Never Stopped" (2/3) (Weir, Barlow) – 8:06
    Disc 2 (February 3)
    1. "Estimated Prophet" > (Weir, Barlow) – 12:16
    2. "Eyes of the World" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 14:38
    3. "Playing in the Band" > (Weir, Mickey Hart, Hunter) – 24:35
    4. "The Wheel" > (Garcia, Bill Kreutzmann, Hunter) – 5:44
    5. "Playing in the Band" (Weir, Hart, Hunter) – 9:02
    6. "Johnny B. Goode" (Chuck Berry) – 4:38
    Disc 3 (February 5)
    1. "Samson and Delilah" (traditional, arranged by Weir) – 11:22
    2. "Scarlet Begonias" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 12:46
    3. "Fire on the Mountain" (Hart, Hunter) – 17:03
    4. "Truckin'" > (Garcia, Lesh, Weir, Hunter) – 9:17
    5. "Drums" > (Hart, Kreutzmann) – 1:57
    6. "The Other One" > (Weir, Kreutzmann) – 9:02
    7. "Wharf Rat" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:58
    8. "Around and Around" (Berry) – 8:35
    Truckin’ includes a patch from January 31 from ~2:00 to ~3:40

The first foray into 1978, Dick’s Picks 18 is a curious release containing three packed discs pulled mostly from two early 1978 shows.

The first disc is a frankenset - a mixture of songs from three nights (the middle of which isn’t even listed in the notes). From the opening Bertha the band is playing tightly, and Jerry quickly lets loose with a great solo. Unfortunately it’s also clear that something’s wrong with Jerry’s amp, as it’s very distorted (it’s not the recording which is a typically superb Betty Board). In places you can tell Jerry is playing to match this dirty tone, and it’s not a terrible distraction.

The pseudo-set follows a typical pattern, alternating Jerry and Bob songs, with a Phil Passenger thrown in for good measure. Even though it’s from a year not known for subtlety, there is plenty here; while full of energy, songs like They Love Each Other are played exquisitely. As you’d expect in a curated set, there’s not a dud, but the final pairing of Deal and The Music Never Stopped (really two set-closers) is incredible.

Disc 2 contains much of the Madison second set. The opening Estimated Prophet lets us know that something special is happening; it’s one of the all-time great versions. A nice jam at the end leads into a not-unexpected Eyes, a lovely version, taking its time and filled with Jerry-led jams.

Playing in the Band is long and exploratory. Early on Jerry sits out and lets Keith and Bob interact with some nice lines from Phil. Jerry comes back in and it starts to head into new territory. The whole band is playing as a unit here; Keith is very active, and Bob’s chords are relentlessly inventive. Again Jerry sits out for an extended time (maybe they’re working on his equipment), and the rest of the band keeps things moving. When he comes back it sounds like we might go into The Wheel but instead we get a breakdown, initially without the drummers. They come back and there’s a distinct start to The Wheel. It’s a solid but not spectacular version, with a surprise, lengthy return to Playing at its conclusion. Johnny B. Goode has remarkable enthusiasm for an encore.

The third disc is from the Milwaukee concert. It opens with an extraordinarily long version of Samson and Delilah, with several minutes before the first verse. Apparently there was an issue with Bob’s microphone so they kept playing until it was fixed; it makes for a uniquely entertaining version as we get some bonus solos.

Next up is an extended and most enjoyable Scarlet>Fire. The transition jam is long and lively, and there’s some killer Jerry before the first verse is sung in Fire. It’s another very long version, and all over the place - quiet, loud, and everything in between, with lots of jams. It may not quite rank with the best ever versions of this hallowed pairing, but it’s a grand rendition nevertheless.

Keith’s too loud and not playing anything of great interest to my ears in Truckin’; it’s a shame because Jerry is again playing a ton of inventive leads underneath the surface through the whole song. A short Drums leads into a concise The Other One, ending in a little drummer-free jam that gives way to Wharf Rat. Jerry’s singing is a bit strained here. An energetic Around and Around finishes things off. While it’s very good, to my ears the February 5th show isn’t at the same level as the February 3rd one.

An interesting newspaper article reviewing the February 3 show is included in the liner notes, as is part of a fan letter to Jerry. Sound quality is excellent if you can enjoy Jerry’s tone.

To me, this is to 1978 what Dick’s Picks 12 is to 1974 - a compilation of the high points of two great shows, and a superb introduction to the year. It’s probably my favorite release from the year, although the July 8 Red Rocks (July 1978: The Complete Recordings) and January 22 Eugene (Dave’s Picks 23) releases are also contenders. It’s a great entry to the world of 1978.

pudgym, ODShowtime, Spazros and 20 others like this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

That is, it's from the Cedar Falls concert. Yes, in "Samson" you can hear them try to do the first "if I had my way" chorus but Bob's mic isn't working, so they have to keep cycling through the intro until it's fixed. The Deadbase review was from someone who was at the show and mentioned that Jerry was none too pleased with the situation.

25. Al Gator

Yes, and it’s to late to edit my post.