The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

A quick disruption to say that The Journey, Pt. 1 is out now and…. Alas Dead End Street is in mono (on the streaming version, at least).

2. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

And, to his kredit, Ray never fails to remind his (solo) audience of that fact. That's the whole point of the monologue routine about You Really Got Me from a couple days ago (and Storyteller): Dave bringing them into rock'n roll History. Dave, not anyone else, not even Ray himself did that. I think Ray knows it better than anybody else. He knows what Dave brings to the table as a musician, as a rock'n roll force, by being a perfect second at times and a master tormentor at others, enabling him one day, frustrating him the next, empowering him but always challenging him, being a first lieutenant constantly on the verge of mutiny. It fascinates me no end.

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Nicely put. And now that you define it that way, it has me thinking how I applaud how Ray constantly credits Dave, acknowledges his brother. He has the self esteem/self-confidence to know that to recognize someone else doesn’t diminish his own accomplishments. (Unlike …well…unlike someone else that I’m a fan of.)

4. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Belly Up, Part 2: Even Bellier

Imaginations Real

This is one of those songs that I haven't committed to my memory yet, in that I can't just think of the song. But whenever I do hear it, it comes back to me and it's pretty solid. Perfect use of Dave's voice for this song, not too strained.

Wicked Annabella
    Dave has always owned this song, ever since he did the studio vocal in 1968. So here we have Dave singing his song, but it's actually Ray's. This is pretty heavy version, and has all the essence of the original too. What a treat it would've been to hear this one live. Dave's vocal is great, especially on the bridge (just before the bass run). Has Ray ever sung one of Dave's songs live solo?

Strangers
    Opening line vocal issue aside, a very nice rendition of a stunning, Klassic song. Not sure what was in the air the day that this song came to him, but I would love a hit of that someday.

Too Much On My Mind
    Dave picks the right Ray songs to almost make folks think this could have been a Dave song this whole time. Really well done. Dave sang this when I saw him (it was 2018, not 2019 like I said the other day). It was great then, and great here too. The song must mean a lot to him. There were certainly some things going on in Dave's mind in the mid-60s...

5. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Perhaps I reading too much into this, but the official Kinks pages describe this as: "an exciting new 2CD, 2LP and digital anthology compiled by The Kinks"

Not, "by Ray Davies, Dave Davies, and Mick Avory." But, "by the Kinks"

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Truth be told my "Doo doo do do!" was quoting the end of line parts of She's Got Everything though it did occur to me that it might be thought of as Heartbreaker despite being short one doo to make the 5th syllable.

I see what you are saying with the Ray-Dave to Mick-Keith analogy and whilst I don't think it's a great comparison when broken down to explicit reasoning/s there is more than a kernel of truth as a generalisation.

7. All Down The Line

Yes i get you as i nearly wrote a post chronicling Dave's set enmeshed with @Brian x's miraculous presence at said show from a parallel time universe.
    For a start Ray would be sitting on his sofa!

8. All Down The Line

The Kinks have a funny ship shape, never mind if ones on port and the other star-bored!

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Latest Mojo : Kinks cover .. song coverage / comp cd.

10. All Down The Line

Recently @DISKOJOE brought up the subject of bizarre things happening at sporting events and I experienced one tonight in person at an AFL match at the Gabba in Brisbane.

This Morning i was surprised to be asked by a SHF member to attend a match tonight between Brisbane & Melbourne.

Below is my pre game fireworks shot

[​IMG]

however the more spectacular lighting effect occurred part way through the 3rd quarter there was a flash and a bang as all the floodlights went out.
    The players left the ground for an uncertain amount of time and a ground official told me he had only seen this happen once in the 15 years he had worked here.

Once the crowd sing-along of Country Roads & Sweet Caroline got going I couldn't tolerate waiting for the resumption which did eventually come some 20 odd minutes later.

11. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) has such incredible and unpredictable drum patterns; I always fail trying to drum along on my dashboard.

12. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

You must of had a wild time last night. Is singing “Sweet Caroline” a thing for Aussie Rule fans as it is for Boston Red Sox Fans?

13. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Still listening, still loving it!

Imaginations Real: Cool solo Dave! I like this version even better than the studio version.

Wicked Annabella: Doesn’t beat the recorded version, but it’s not bad, but it just never really quite ignites for me . The crowd sounds pretty happy to be hearing this song though, maybe if I’d been there .

Strangers: ignites!

Too Much on My Mind: Fabulous song, fabulous version.

14. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Belly Up" continues at fever pitch - it's not the most technically accomplished gig in the world and it's ragged in places, but the end result outweighs any shortcomings. "Too Much On My Mind" does full justice to the song, "Strangers" finds Dave's voice seemingly unchanged from 1970 in places.

15. All Down The Line

Oh I know, my mother said I had no chance!

16. All Down The Line

I sincerely hope not!
    I discovered that Country Roads was the theme song for one player so perhaps Sweet Caroline was for another and that is why the stadium played it over the PA.
    They would pause it so the crowd could scream and physically bang out each Bah Bah Bah which was my cue to exit the stadium.

17. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I hear you, man. I’m more of a Dirty Water man when it comes to Red Sox songs:

18. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Despite the rough sound of this recording, being an official bootleg after all, the intensity and passion these guys are giving it puts all that sound quality snobbery aside. They’re giving it all they’ve got.

Glad Dave pulled out a song (Imaginations Real) from his 3 album solo side projects from the early 80s. He also did In You I Believe a few times during these shows which I would love to hear from one of these shows being a big fan of that song’s chord progression with the add9 payoff chord in that.

I notice during the guitar solo section at the end of Imaginations Real and Wicked Annabella amongst today’s songs and other songs performed on this release and the other live albums, Dave gets into his zone with some great in-the-moment soloing that I wish would keep going for much longer (guitarists here will understand what I'm talking about), but he keeps them short and concise, just like when he had solo spotlights in The Kinks. Keep them wanting more, eh? Well, I do!

Too Much On My Mind here has an outstanding vocal from Dave. Love it. Being the lead singer in addition to being the lead guitar player is a totally different dimension that Dave has adapted to very quickly, no doubt being such an experienced performer by this stage. I would suggest he may not have been able to pull this off earlier in his career if the Kinks had broken up around 1980 let's say for argument's sake. Opinions?

(I know some of you here have been in this role in your respective bands and can maybe elaborate on that a little more. As the drummer I was never the lead singer, but I had a lead vocal here or there in several bands. One band we did The Beatles Don't Let Me Down with me singing lead while playing the usual drums. Thankfully no tapes exist of this that I know of. Sometimes I wish Iphones and social media existed back in those days. Other times I am extremely grateful.)

I’ll also give another shout out to powerhouse drummer Jim Laspesa here. He is an example of a drummer who really drives a band. I want to point out something in Susannah’s Still Alive from yesterday that grabs my drum dude ears. Listen to the verses and notice how he is pounding out eighth notes on the bass drum (enhancing and enforcing the piano part of this section) while doing only quarter notes on the accompanying ride cymbal (snare on the usual 2 and 4 backbeat). This is not difficult, but it is very unusual and goes against a drummer’s usual ingrained instinctive playing. It’s not a pattern that you would normally do and you have to actually plan and think about this pattern beforehand and while you’re doing it as it is not a natural pattern that you would revert to out of nowhere. 99% of the time it’s the other way around. Eighth notes on the ride and syncopated halves, quarters, and a few eighth notes in various combinations on the bass drum. Again, not hard at all but I love these little unusual drum things that are probably only noticed by drummers. Very cool to my ears anyway. He’s plays a left-handed kit too which, as a right hander, always fascinates me visually watching in a symmetrical sense if that makes any sense. Two of my all-time favorites are lefties playing left-handed kits, Phil Collins and Ian Paice.

Finally, I noticed this release has a greater ratio of Dave versus Ray written Kinks songs than any other live release from Dave to date: 8 Ray, 6 Dave. This is discounting Dave solo compositions and incidental titles (like The Kiss) and counts Ray songs as Ray songs whether Dave or Ray sang the original version. Every one of these live albums released leaves out several songs performed at each show or series of shows the album is covering. For example, this album opens with She's Got Everything, but it's likely this was the third song performed after I Need You and Beautiful Delilah as most, if not all, shows from this year opened with. This was still 1997 when he was relying on past material as opposed to including new material of his own. It's interesting that when we get to the live albums after Bug, the new songs he included in the shows from this album replaced Kinks songs written by him, but he kept around the same number of Ray written Kinks songs in the set, again regardless of whether he or Ray sang the original.

19. All Down The Line

Bell(y) Boy

Its not my imagination but real that Dave's live sets are starting to strike me as truly wicked (and not just as I seem to listen at perpetual midnight) and no longer feel like a stranger with too much on his mind has grabbed Ray's mic!

20. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Belly Up (part two)

I am trying to listen to Belly Up the way the audience heard it back in 1997 who hadn't heard several live albums by Dave already. After all, this show from April that year was one of the first gigs Dave did as a solo artist. So far, it is such a great show. Both Dave and his band have such energy and commitment to each song and the set list is full of great surprises. "Imaginations Real" is a fabulous song, it really deserves to be discovered by more listeners and it would have deserved to be a big hit back when it was new.
    If I had been at the gig and realised that "Wicked Annabella" was the next song I would have been really happy. It is such a eerie, mysterious and fascinating song and Dave's singing gives it so much character. "Strangers" is one of his best Kinks songs, again a song that deserved to be a hit and this live performance also showcases the more reflective side of Dave's songwriting.
    "Too Much On My Mind" would have been another surprise at this 1997 gig. Given the vast number of songs in the Kinks catalogue, I wouldn't have expected that this song would be included in the set list at this show. I really like that Dave has seemingly picked songs that he particularly likes rather than just going the easier route of doing more of a greatest hits kind of show.

(And speaking of surprises, I find it interesting that neither "Death of a Clown" or "Living on a Thin Line" are on the Belly Up CD)

What a superb Dave gig this is!

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Interesting question.... and it's a hard call .... I certainly don't think he would have been confident enough in the seventies.... He may well have been confident enough in the mid to late 80's, but probably not in the early 80's.

22. mark winstanley

Belly Up pt3.

Dead End Street.

Certainly a Kinks classic, and Dave clearly enjoys this track, as does the crowd.

Milk Cow Blues.

Interestingly the opening riff makes me think of Vietnam Cowboys, which we ran through just the other day in real time.
    This is a solid version, and we get a bit of jamming and rock fun from the guys....

I'm Not Like Everybody Else.

Dave hammers the opening chords, and then we move into the song proper and we get a really nice melodic lead.
    When Dave gets around to singing he stops playing the guitar to add some dynamic variation, and the organ holds fort beautifully, then we burst into the chorus.
    Dave pushes the vocal a bit, and we have some good results and some not as good.

Living On A Thin Line.

This opens with a searching feel, and then drops into the beat.
    This is a measured and thoughtful version of this song,
    Certainly it doesn't beat the studio version, but this is a solid live version of the song.

29:33 Dead End Street
    32:15 Milk Cow Blues
    36:18 I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    41:45 Living On A Thin Line

23. mark winstanley

Oct 1963 - Nov 1966
    Starstruck promo video/ Days video/ Sunny Afternoon TOTP
    Barry Fantoni - Little Man In a Little Box
    Apr 1967 - Feb 1970
    The Long Distance Piano Player
    Nov 1970 - Jun 1976
    Feb 1977 - Dec 1983
    Dave - Guitar Player 1977
    The Kinks Punk Christmas
    Artificial Light or. mix
    Life Goes On OGWT
    Morphing docu of Hotelroom sessions + interview Ray + live KinKs in Vienna 1978.
    One For The Road - the lost videos
    1981 A Woman In Love (chorus girls)
    Oh Tokyo live in 1982 - lyrics
    Jan 1984 - Dec 1993
    Ray - Musician mag - Q questions
    Dave - Guitar 1990
    1994 - 2006.
    Mojo 1994
    Mojo 1995
    Dave - Guitar Player 2002
    Musician May 97
    Guitar World 97
    Quaife Holland 2004
    1998 Ray Davies Flatlands live - Visions Of England edit - VOE complete
    Kompilations 2005 Kompilations 2005
    Americana (Hey Big Fat Cowboy) - live Jane Street
    Otis Riffs
    Filter 2003

The Gap - pt2 - Yo La Tengo - Jane Street
    Feb 2006 Ray Davies - Other People's Lives - album
    Things Are Gonna Change (the Morning After) - Alt
    After The Fall - Leno
    Next Door Neighbour
    All She Wrote
    Creatures Of Little Faith
    Run Away From Time
    The Tourist - ac live - ACL
    Is There Life After Breakfast
    The Getaway (Lonesome Train)
    Other People's Lives
    Stand Up Comic
    Over My Head
    Thanksgiving Day - alt mix - VH1 - Conan

Kompilations 2006

Ray - The World From My Window

Austin City Limits
    After The Fall

Next Door Neighbour
    Run Away From Time
    ACL - Pt1
    Pt2
    Pt3
    Long Way From Home 1970 - Lola SDE mix

Q interview
    Mojo
    Entertainment Weekly
    Word Mag

Sold On Song - live
    Sold On Song Pt1
    Sold On Song Pt2
    S.O.S. pt3

Ray live in Berlin 2006
    Barrymore Theater 2006

Mar 2006 Dave Davies - Kinked
    God In My Brain

2006 Ray gets top honour at BMI awards

2006 GQ magazine

2006 Dave - Too Much On My Mind

Kompilations 2007

Jan 2007 Dave - Fractured Mindz
    This Is the Time - edit/remix
    Free Me
    All About Me
    Come To the River
    Giving
    Remember Who You Are
    The Waiting Hours
    Rock Siva
    The Blessing
    Fractured Mindz

Oct 2007 Ray Davies Workingman's Cafe - EPK
    Vietnam Cowboys - Demo
    You're Asking Me
    Workingman's Cafe - live
    Morphine Song - live
    In A Moment - live - Letterman
    Peace In Our Time
    No One Listen
    Imaginary Man - live
    One More Time
    The Voodoo Walk - Demo
    Hymn For The New Age
    The Real World
    Angola
    I, The Victim

Americana: A Work In Progress

Ray Davies Live At the Roundhouse/Electric Prom
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5

2007 Word mags interviews with Ray
    Sunday Times Culture
    Mojo
    Uncut
    2008 Rolling Stone
    2008 Stop Smiling magazine - pt2
    Performing Songwriter 2008

Aug 2008 Dave Davies Belly Up - Interview - Pt 2
    Part 2
    Part 3

2009 Fretboard Journal

2010 Ray on Alex Chilton

2010 Come Dancing play

Spin 2010
    Uncut Dec 2010

Oct 2018 Dave Davies - Decade - interview
    If You Are Leaving (71)
    Cradle To The Grace (73)
    Midnight Sun (73)
    Mystic Woman (73)
    The Journey (73)
    Shadows (73)
    Web Of Time (75)
    Mr Moon (75) - Why
    Islands (78)
    Give You All My Love (78)
    Within Each Day (78)
    Same Old Blues (78)
    This Precious Time (78)

2019 Kast Off Kinks with Ray

2022 Muswell/ Showbiz box
    2022 Celluloid Heroes
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues
    Travelling Montage
    Travelling With My Band - I'm Going Home - You Can't Stop The Music
    2022 remixes pt 1 - part 2 - part 3

2022 Dave - Something Else - Josh Meyers Podcast

2022 Dave Davies - 21st Century

Creem articles - Mar 70
    - Mar 71
    - Feb 72
    - Nov 72
    - Aug 73
    - Apr 74
    - Jul 74
    - Aug 75
    - Feb 76
    - Aug 77
    - Apr 78
    - Aug 78
    - Oct 78
    - Jan 81
    - May 85
    - Apr 85
    - Apr 87
    - May 87
    - Jun 87
    - Jun 88

Rare Silent Video

Dave Interview 2022? newspaper

Rob Kopp has made his 1999 Kinks discography 'Down All The days Till 1992'

US Chart Stats
    The Music Industry Machine

Album flow chart

Album poll graph

Mick Avory - Shut Up Frank -Lola - We Gotta Get Outta This Place
    Pete Quaife - interview - Kast Off Kinks - I Could See It In Your Eyes - Dead End Street
    Rasa Didzpetris Davies
    John Dalton
    John Gosling
    Jim Rodford
    Ian Gibbons
    Andy Pyle
    Gordon Edwards
    Clive Davis
    Bob Henrit

Mark Haley - info
    Jakko Jaksyk

24. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I like how All Day and All of the Night starts on the Thin Line outro… but that’ll be for Monday discussion. Everybody Else is fantastic, Milk Cow Blues fast and furious. And no psych-trance alien music or blues rock interludes this time around! This all sounds like what it is : a “tavern” show by a rather splendid little rock’n roll outfit, lead by a rather splendid rock’n roll legend.

25. All Down The Line

Dave's Belly Stance P.t.3

As ever this dead end street isn't and crosses to the other side though personally i'd have the blues waking to milk cow but always love the next number like everybody else and that's no thin lie!