The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Martial arts may not have been the right term, some kind of ancient battle-type movie maybe - I know I've heard this type of soundtrack music before somewhere!

2. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Hollies ? For Certain Because, Evolution and Butterfly are gorgeous records, especially the one in the middle, with the arresting Stop Right There, one of my favorite "lost songs" from the sixties. Graham Nash singing.

(did I say I'd try to keep my freeform instincts in check ? Well, I failed, but you made me do it!!).

3. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Three absolute masterpieces. I tend to agree that 'Evolution' is the best, but it's a very high bar they're at here. A shame the next album was the 'Hollies Sing Dylan' (a big seller, but after the self-penned trio above, a big drop. They pick up again with the next two - again written by the band - 'Hollies Sing Hollies' and the much better 'Confessions Of The Mind' ('Moving Finger' in the USA for some reason). But they were a different sounding band once Nash departed. He's touring close by me in the autumn, can't decide whether to go...

4. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I could imagine Gary Numan singing over today’s song!

5. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

We Are The Ancestors

There's an eerie, spooky feel to this track. It's a piece of music that could fit into a night-time scene in a sci-fi movie. The robotic voice adds a sense of something ominous and sinister. A strange but fascinating track.

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I imagine that by that time (late '68 -'69) it may have been more appropriate to instead refer to that Liverpudlian group as The Quarrel Men. :agree:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  7. All Down The Line

We Are The Ancestors

Pretty insistent these Ancestors and not a little foreboding like some in-laws!
    Obviously this is a key part of the story that needs to be played out but it doesn't engage me as my mind just drifts off into space.

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Yeah, not getting much out of this one, with the pitch shifted down vocals.

I’ve liked some of it, but not this one.

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Mirrors.

We open with some glistening wind chime type sounds and a solid synth pad.

Then we get atmospheric, soundscape stuff.
    Then it moves into a nice melodic synth/new age kind of direction.

It ends up being more like a link track than anything, as far as I can tell.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

The Ravens - Ooba Diooba
    Oct 1963 - Nov 1966
    Long Tall Sally at the Cavern Club
    Starstruck promo video/ Days video/ Sunny Afternoon TOTP
    April 65 Beat review
    Barry Fantoni - Little Man In a Little Box
    Dead End Street video
    Apr 1967 - Feb 1970
    The Long Distance Piano Player
    Nov 1970 - Jun 1976
    Apeman video
    Sitting In The Midday Sun video
    Ray video interview 1973
    Soap Opera Tour Spring 1975
    Feb 1977 - Dec 1983
    Dave - Guitar Player 1977
    The Kinks Punk Christmas
    Artificial Light or. mix
    Life Goes On OGWT
    Morphing docu of Hotelroom sessions + interview Ray + live KinKs in Vienna 1978.
    One For The Road - the lost videos
    1981 A Woman In Love (chorus girls)
    Oh Tokyo live in 1982 - lyrics
    Don't Forget To Dance video
    Dave and Dick Clark
    Jan 1984 - Dec 1993
    Ray - Musician mag - Q questions
    Feb 87 RockBill
    Sep 1989 East Coast Rocker
    Dave - Guitar 1990
    Do It Again video
    Pulse mag May 1993
    1994 - 2006.
    Mojo 1994
    Mojo 1995
    Dave - Guitar Player 2002
    Musician May 97
    Guitar World 97
    Quaife Holland 2004
    Heroes Of Rock live in Germany
    1998 Ray Davies Flatlands live - Visions Of England edit - VOE complete
    Kompilations 2005 Kompilations 2005
    Americana (Hey Big Fat Cowboy) - live Jane Street
    Otis Riffs
    Filter 2003
    Feb 2006 - 2009

Feb 2009 Dave Davies Around The Galaxy
    I Need You
    She's Got Everything
    Look Through Any Doorway
    Susannah's Still Alive
    Creepin Jean
    Love Me Til The Sun Shines
    Milk Cow Blues
    Imaginations Real
    Wicked Annabella
    Picture Book
    Strangers
    Too Much On My Mind
    Death Of A Clown
    Get Back In Line
    I'm Not Like Everybody Else
    All Day And All Of The Night
    Unfinished Business
    You Really Got Me
    Around the Galaxy

June 2009 Ray Davies Kinks Choral Collection
    Postcards From London - Kate Nash
    Days
    Waterloo Sunset
    You Really Got Me
    Victoria
    See My Friends
    Celluloid Heroes
    Shangri-La
    Workingman's Cafe
    Village Green
    Picture Book
    Big Sky
    Do You Remember Walter?
    Johnny Thunder
    Village Green Preservation Society
    All Day And All Of The Night

Oct 2009 Ray Davies Collected

Do It Again (movie)

the movie

Ray Davies - New York Choral Concert Nov 2009
    Pt 1
    Pt 2
    Pt 3
    Pt 4
    Pt 5

2010 Ray Davies Imaginary Man - Julien Temple

Nov 2010 Dave and Russ - Aschere Project - Two Worlds
    - info - book 1 - 2 - the book - interview
    Kakshisa Cipher
    Two Worlds
    Love Will Change
    Remember Me
    I'll Get By
    We Can Do this Together
    Echoes
    We Are The Ancestors
    Mirrors

Arthur BBC Radio Play

Ray Choral You Really Got Me on tv
    Ray Choral Waterloo Sunset on tv

Ray and George Lamb

2010 Ray on Alex Chilton
    May 2010 Sound On Sound

Dave Davies Banger interview

2010 Come Dancing play

Spin 2010
    Uncut Dec 2010

2011 Dave Davies Kinkdom Come - Julien Temple

2011 Kinks Kompilations

Oct 2018 Dave Davies - Decade - interview
    If You Are Leaving (71)
    Cradle To The Grace (73)
    Midnight Sun (73)
    Mystic Woman (73)
    The Journey (73)
    Shadows (73)
    Web Of Time (75)
    Mr Moon (75) - Why
    Islands (78)
    Give You All My Love (78)
    Within Each Day (78)
    Same Old Blues (78)
    This Precious Time (78)

2019 Kast Off Kinks with Ray

2022 Muswell/ Showbiz box
    2022 Celluloid Heroes
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues
    Travelling Montage
    Travelling With My Band - I'm Going Home - You Can't Stop The Music
    2022 remixes pt 1 - part 2 - part 3

2022 Dave - Something Else - Josh Meyers Podcast

2022 Dave Davies - 21st Century

Creem articles - Mar 70
    - Mar 71
    - Feb 72
    - Nov 72
    - Aug 73
    - Apr 74
    - Jul 74
    - Aug 75
    - Feb 76
    - Aug 77
    - Apr 78
    - Aug 78
    - Oct 78
    - Jan 81
    - May 85
    - Apr 85
    - Apr 87
    - May 87
    - Jun 87
    - Jun 88

Rare Silent Video

How Ray And Dave Survived Their Kinks Journey

Dave Interview 2022? newspaper

Rob Kopp has made his 1999 Kinks discography 'Down All The days Till 1992'

US Chart Stats
    The Music Industry Machine

Album flow chart

Album poll graph

Mick Avory - Shut Up Frank -Lola - We Gotta Get Outta This Place
    Pete Quaife - interview - Kast Off Kinks - I Could See It In Your Eyes - Dead End Street
    Rasa Didzpetris Davies
    John Dalton
    John Gosling
    Jim Rodford
    Ian Gibbons
    Andy Pyle
    Gordon Edwards
    Clive Davis
    Bob Henrit

Mark Haley - info
    Jakko Jaksyk

11. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I’m really enjoying this album! I think it might actually be my favourite Dave album so far.

12. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Mirrors

Mirrors mirrors the title track Two Worlds as heard earlier on the album. A revisit of that theme with the same chord progression (C Ab F). What’s different here is we don’t have the powerful drum groove to give us the same motive, purpose, feel, and implication of the earlier track. By design, this is supposed to be a reprise of sorts to bring this progression and melody back to mind and to remind what came before and enhance the rest of the overall story without it being a direct copy and quote with nothing new to say or add either musically or lyrically and this reprise is effective on its own terms within the album’s overall narrative and context. Tension and release, remember?

What I am lamenting is the lack of that real drum sound as heard on the earlier track Two Worlds which is not heard again on the album.
    I very much enjoyed the real drum sound on the earlier track whether it is a true performance on real drums as part of the backing track or even samples of real drums programmed into a computer and cut and pasted straight as it it was performed or not. For me, the sound is the most important aspect here and that drum sound is a very pleasing sound and mix they found there, but then it’s absent for the duration of this album. A curious decision indeed.

Chalk it up to a drum, as opposed to a drug, withdrawal syndrome. They gave it to me in the first two tracks on the album and then no more. Jonesing for more.

Actually this is just a minor gripe since I can’t find much else to gripe about with this project. I’ll have more to say when when we wrap the album up, but this is a very good outside-the-box-and-for-the-most-part-fully-developed alternative direction for a one-off project for Dave to pursue and I think the results are outstanding and speak for themselves in terms of what the goal was here. It’s not a rock album to be judged in those terms. Despite its obscurity, I think he and Russ succeeded with something very unique and worthy here with this effort.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  13. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Greetings all Avids from Toronto Airport where I will soon fly to Beautiful British Columbia. The time change will make commenting on songs as they are posted (2am BC time) difficult this coming week but I will endeavour to stay tuned in.

Smiler, Geoff738, The MEZ and 10 others like this.
  14. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Yesterday was sci-fi soundtrack, today is good sci-fi soundtrack, evocative and strangely visual, it conjures a lot of images, with the little Two Worlds synth motif worthy of Dave’s old cohort John Carpenter (it has a little minimalist Halloween feel to it). In Carpenter soundtracks too, you often get heavy drums, but some are more ethereal and atmospheric. More than a little interlude, this one’s both creepy and engaging, and it’s raised my expectations for the last two songs.

15. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Mirrors" continues the soundtrack feel - seems like a link track to me. If Dave would only mount the stage show, we would know where all of these pieces fit in!

16. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Mirrors

This sounds like a brief interlude before the final part of the story (which I haven't read yet). Very atmospheric with a dreamy kind of feel. Another well-created track on the album.

17. Michael Streett

Links to some reading material. A couple of contemporary interviews with Dave that touch on this album and some of the other projects from this 2009/2010 era. A lot of well known old ground is covered of course, but it’s always great to read comments on the then-new stuff that will never be discussed or brought up again in the future after the current interviews.

The first one is quite lengthy but very good.

Dave Davies: 'I was just a crazy kid with a guitar, a cheap amp and a

Dave Davies on his new album: "The Aschere Project: Two Worlds"

18. All Down The Line

Mirrors

A subtle and relaxing piece that I don't mind at all short bridge or link piece aside.
    I would still like it even if extended somewhat as what you (can plainly) hear is what you get, there is no smoke with these mirrors!

19. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Public apology to Dave Davies
    I’ve been as guilty as anyone on this thread of making fun of Dave’s belief in UFOs. But it now appears that Dave will have the last laugh.

A NASA panel tasked with studying reports of "unidentified aerial phenomena" said at a hearing last week that the stigma associated with reporting UFO sightings — as well as the harassment of people who work to investigate them — may be hindering efforts to determine their origins.

Most UFOs can be explained, according to the panel of experts. But not all of them.

Before too long I expect PhD science students will be sifting through Dave’s lyrics for clues about the universe.

I sought the least boring hyperlink for this news:

NASA Says UFOs Are Real—Here's How to Report Saucer Sightings | Entrepreneur

20. All Down The Line

More quality Streett, really enjoyed reading that long interview but didn't read the other due to hitting OK to the foreign # cookies.

21. All Down The Line

It sounds to me like it's all up in the air!

22. Michael Streett

Yeah, sorry about that. Some sites are cookie monsters you can never be sure about.

[​IMG]

Here's that second interview copied and pasted here.

A ROCK LEGEND - MEET DAVE DAVIES OF THE KINKS.

We talked to the younger brother, Dave Davies, founder and lead guitarist of The Kinks, about his career and his new album.

You really got me
    - If I feel good, I play well, Dave says and seems to nail his musical nature in one sentence. Over the phone, speaking from his UK home, Dave’s voice sounds surprisingly young and clear. He’s vivid, enthusiastic, and witty to talk to – and first of all curious, interested in the world of today.

Patiently and sincerely, he answers my questions though he must have heard most of them many times before. He’s eager to talk about his new record called “The Aschere Project: Two Worlds” and his passion for spirituality. Enthusiasm’s infectious, but first we dive into the days of rock and pop music’s childhood, which he became a very important part of.

The British Invasion
    By 1964, the world was changing fast. The cold war was on, the Cuba-crisis almost caused a third world war, a 45 km long wall divided Berlin, and Kennedy had just been assassinated. Then into the middle of it all came a new, rebellious generation, emerging fast and transforming the world of pop culture forever.

Learning from American rhythm’n’blues icons like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Elvis, British pop culture seriously started rearing its head in the beginning of the 1960s. The outcome was the British Invasion and especially the four “big ones”: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who. And then The Kinks. As founder/lead guitarist, and occasional songwriter of The Kinks, Dave Davies became a very central part of this Invasion. What was it like for a sensitive 17-year-old working class North Londoner to be hurled into this kind of stardom, when The Kinks had their major breakthrough in 1964 with the first of a string of hit singles, the pre-heavy metal rocker “You Really Got Me”?

- A contrast! It was. But there was an advantage: Being in a band, it was like an extension of the family, Davies explains.

Still, when asked about the highs and lows of his career with The Kinks for more than three decades, being in a band like The Kinks wasn’t always pure happiness, and the brothers’ almost lifelong feud is now legendary:

Ups and downs with The Kinks
    - I feel I have been fortunate. There were amazing highs – and very low ones. Also personally, in the relationship between Ray and me. We started on top in the beginning of the 1960s. There was an explosion of creativity at the time with lots of fantastic bands. Then we went a little down towards the end of the 60s, got banned in the States. Then again a built-up, a comeback in the late 70s, and in the 80s we went big in the US with records as “Low Budget”, “Give the People What They Want”, “State of Confusion”, and “Word of Mouth”.

- Then in 1996, Ray decided he wanted to try out some solo material. So me and Ray decided to pause – I didn’t want to get in the way of that, Dave says, summing up the period that turned out to be the end of The Kinks so far, though they never formally split as a band.

Ray and Dave Davies - observation vs. feeling
    Ray and Dave are known to have had a complicated, yet very creatively productive relationship. I suggest that his own songs have a slightly stronger vulnerability and sensitiveness than most of his brother’s many songs. Though Dave speaks highly of Ray’s unique songwriting and performing talents, he doesn’t disagree and reveals a little of the secret behind their success:

- Ray’s songs are very observational songs. He has a problem with expressing his feelings. He feels uncomfortable with feelings. While my own songs are inner feelings. That’s a part of the problem with me and Ray. His song style is a craft, he’s dealing with external elements, mine depend fully of how I feel inside. So when these things met and we worked together, some times magic would occur.

- Ray started working on his craft [songwriting, ed.] early on. A method. Mine was feelings, which I think is something I have from my mother. Like the interest in spirituality, astrology, the psyche, Dave continues.

The Journey
    The journey into the unknown, the search for something else, was always encouraged in the Davies’ childhood home, which according to Dave is part of the explanation why the brothers became so creative.

- As a kid, I was lucky. I was always interested in unusual things – and we were encouraged to. Like learning guitar – my mom lend me a few pounds. I didn’t like school as a kid and I had a problem with authorities. I think I learned more from my mom and sisters – my family was a matriarchy. So I always felt comfortable with women, talking to them, picking them up, Dave laughs. I was interested in painting as well. But I found that the teacher new nothing at all about painting, Dave explains. This kind of square truth was not his cup of tea.

- Who’s to say….the imagination could be more important than the “real” world. Maybe some times 2 + 2 equals to 5? Perhaps this is why the creative, open-minded world of spirituality and music suited him better.

The razor blade incident
    So let’s go back into music history to that crucial day, when it all began and “You Really Got Me” found its form in 1964. Ray had written it as a bluesy, slower tune, and Dave wasn’t satisfied with the sound coming from the small amplifier, which was rather “sort of a radio without the radio”, according to Dave. The 17-year-old had just started shaving, and he got hold on sharp razor blades, stuck them into the speaker cone and sliced it, leaving the material/cone intact, but with scratches and holes. And that’s how the distorted, “ugly” guitar sound on “You Really Got Me” came about. Of course this song is one of The Kinks’ most well known singles. But what were the finest moments of his career besides the obvious ones?

- God, that’s a tough one. But the mid to late 70s were good, Dave says. I suggest that his work on an album as “Schoolboys in Disgrace” from 1975 is under-valued and that he sounds inspired.

- You’re quite right. That was a period when I felt good – I was also producing and engineering at the time. I felt inspired. And if I feel good, I play well. And me and Ray we were a well-suited team with Ray’s writing crafts and my writing and playing from the heart.

What are his personal all time favourite Kinks- and Dave Davies songs?

- Oh, there are so many. Shangri-La is one of them, and Dead End Street, Waterloo Sunset. Of my own songs, I’ve always liked Visionary Dreamer [from Davies’ first solo album, ed.]. Dave also had a big Kinks hit with "Death of a Clown" (1967).

New album and DVD
    During this solo career, Dave’s been more and more occupied with spiritual matters. At age 63, having suffered a stroke in 2004, he is now back and is releasing a new album, a co-work with his son Russ Davies (from the band Cinnamon Chasers), called “The Aschere Project: Two Worlds”.

- It’s basically a love story, Dave explains. A science fiction-like love story about two souls, about multidimensional existence between a man and a woman and about getting access to spirituality and the deeper understanding of mankind. Breaking the codes. Two souls attracted to each other across the galaxy. The story is rooted in ancient myths from Persia and Eastern India and then he and his son have placed “something new” in it, as Dave puts it.

The music is spherical and dreamlike, yet still very melodic. And the CD comes with an 8-page booklet – telling the story along with the music. Dave is very into soundtracks reflecting the inner world these days and has high hopes for this project, which he plans to turn it into a stage musical and eventually a movie in the future. Furthermore, he has recently released the DVD “Mystical Journey”, a documentary on his life with music and spirituality.

The beginning of a new world
    We’re coming to an end of the interview. Dave sounds fresh and is still quite optimistic when it comes to the future:

- We’re just seeing the beginning of a new understanding and communication. Just think of the Internet. Now I can talk to like-minded people whenever I want. It’s fascinating now; there are so many sources of information. It’s different now…we’re a part of the change going on.

- Spirituality and spiritual matters cross over everything. A song like She Love You – it’s foundation is spiritual, says Dave who’s not afraid of the future itself.

- What scares me is fanaticism. I don’t believe in dooms day. It’s just an excuse. If it’s ending anyway, then why do anything at all? On the other hand, when we’re scared that’s where we really learn and develop, says Dave and defines spirituality as an energy behind all things, thoughts, and minds. A powerful, non-visual inner world, Dave concludes over the phone.

Probably the same world that helped to create modern world's rock history that he was a part of during the British Invasion, Swinging London, and The Summer of Love. Thanks to Dave and The Kinks, it’s been a long journey. Living on a Thin Line on a Sunny Afternoon.

- Rune H. Jensen

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Freeform Sunday:This is a looooong hiatus time for me but, out of curiosity, I checked my Apple Music Top 100 plays to see if/where Ray or The Kinks might appear.

‘After The Fall’ hanging in there at #5 and ‘Imaginary Man’ clinging on to #10. Then there’s more Ray solo stuff sprinkled throughout until The Kinks pop up on #88’s ‘Nothing Lasts Forever’! How’d that happen? It’s on my The Kinks (and Ray) Play the Sound of the 50s playlist. Then, The Kinks again at #92 with ‘Better Things.’ A bit odd but I think it is purely by chance, coming up on shuffle by coincidence or because Apple has an especial affinity for it.

On hiatus, awaiting 2017 in thread years (for Ray’s ‘Americana’, I continue my playlist pursuit tackling 60s AM and, separately, 70s AM radio, The Delines, The Jayhawks, Singer-Songwriters and am still working on John Prine.

24. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

In case anyone is thinking that these articles are all starting to sound the same, it might be because I posted this one last Sunday. :agree:
    Not meant as a criticism @Michael Streett, I love your posts, and enjoyed the first interview quite a bit.

25. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

I thought this was amusing. I just finished reading a biography of Theramin this afternoon, and thought what better album to put on than the Aschere Project. My wife and I were resting, before heading out to a party, in different rooms. As we were getting ready to go out she asked what I had been listening to, was it theramin music?

By the way Theramin had a fascinating life, living through the entire existence of the Soviet Union, inventing a listening device that went undetected in the US embassy for 6 years, and spending time in a Soviet Gulag, since he was suspect due to his apparent capitalist tendencies while he lived in the US. The biography was interesting, but a bit of a slog to read. Anyway heading in to my niece’s birthday party.