Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I felt the same way about the Kick surround mix but am also lacking Atmos capability. I've only played it once, when it was released, and played The Swing immediately afterwards to make up for it! The Swing with DPL II processing was a much more enjoyable experience for me. I hope Giles tries his hand with another INXS album since his Beatles mixes have been good to great in my book.

Does anyone know if playing the Kick surround mix on an Atmos system makes a big difference?

mark winstanley and JeffMo like this.
  2. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

The Derringer SACD sounds very good; another great DV offering.

Juggsnelson and mark winstanley like this.
  3. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I have only played it with Atmos, one of these days I'll try it without. However, I did note that some crucial instruments seem to be discretely mixed to the ceiling - if you just left those out it would be odd. Also, it IS an 8-channel mix - there is no alternative six channel mix like Abbey Road has, for instance.

mark winstanley and jamesc like this.
  4. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Working my way slowly through the Genesis 1976 - 1982 SACD box, and I'm listening to Wind & Wuthering at the moment. I'm going to give this a 9, but not necessarily a strong one. The mastering is slightly inferior to A Trick of the Tail in that if anything, it's even more bright. The mix is fine, and the music is great - perhaps the last time a Genesis album could be called so. And I'm happy that if one acquires the two Genesis SACD boxes then one has the core 1970 - 1976 albums in 5.1 and all of which get a 9 rating in my humble opinion. I'll review the rest of the the box of course, but it's these first two LPs that I'm the most interested in.

mark winstanley and zobalob like this.
  5. riskylogic

Yep, that's why I don't have that box. Fortunately the surround mixes were also issued as singletons; I just have ATOTT and W&W.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Genesis - ...and then there were three... Well, this is where many early fans jump ship, no? I didn't grow up with their albums so I don't really have a horse in this race. The 5.1 mix on the SACD is about average I'd say. I'm giving it a 7, which is the lowest rating I've given a Genesis disc in these boxes. Fine, but not totally immersive if you know what I mean. Not enough use of the rears for one thing. As for the music itself - again, average. I mean it sounds like Genesis, and a few tracks are actually pretty good. Only not much stands out if you're familiar with any of the 1970 - 1976 studio LPs.

7. riskylogic

I didn't jump ship right away. I continued to buy LPs for many years afterward. But when it came time to replace LPs with CDs, I stopped with W&W and settled for a compilation for the the rest. Same deal with surround.

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

See how we go guys... im only just getting to bed, too much tequila and beer ... we''l see what tomorrow has to offer... I'm normally getting up in about half an hour.b ut just getting to bed. A[pologies ...It is what it is. apologies
    Mark

9. riskylogic

All American Boy
    [​IMG]

Studio album by Rick Derringer
    Released October 1973
    Recorded 1973 at Caribou Ranch, Nederland, Colorado, United States
    Genre Rock, hard rock, blues rock
    Length 44:28
    Label Blue Sky
    Producer Bill Szymczyk, Rick Derringer

All American Boy is the debut solo studio album by Rick Derringer, it was released on Blue Sky Records in late 1973. "Joy Ride" and "Time Warp" (not to be confused with The Rocky Horror Picture Show song) are instrumentals.

Spring Fever
    [​IMG]
    Studio Album by Rick Derringer
    Released 1975
    Recorded Record Plant, NY
    Producer Rick Derringer

Spring Fever is the second solo studio album by Rick Derringer, it was released on Blue Sky Records in 1975.

Personnel

I have a plethora of track-by-track information for All American Boy, but not for Spring Fever.

All American Boy
    Rick Derringer - guitar, bass, organ, tambourine, lead vocals
    Bobby Caldwell – drums on most tracks
    Carl Hall - backing vocals on many tracks
    Lani Groves - backing vocals on many tracks
    Tasha Thomas - backing vocals on many tracks

I’ll detail the other musicians on the track by track review. There are also strings and/or a mellotron on many of the tracks that don’t seem to be credited.

For Spring Fever:
    Rick Derringer - guitar, bass, sitar, vocals
    Bobby Caldwell – drums
    Dan Hartman – vocals
    Chick Corea – Moog Synthesizer, Synthesizer
    Paul Prestopino – vocals, mandolin
    Dan Hartman – Vocals, Vocals (Background)
    David Johansen – Harmonica, Harmonica (Electric)
    Allan Nicholls – Vocals
    John Siegler – Bass
    John Siomos – Drums
    Doris Still – Vocals, Vocals (Background)
    Toots Thielemans Harmonica
    Edgar Winter Arp Strings, ARP Synthesizer, Keyboards, Marimba, Organ, Piano, Piano (Electric), Saxophone, Slide Guitar, Synthesizer, Vocals, Vocals (Background)
    Johnny Winter Guitar

Track listing
    Track listing for All American Boy

All tracks composed by Rick Derringer; except where indicated

1. "Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" - 3:43
    2. "Joy Ride" - instrumental - 1:50
    3. "Teenage Queen" - 3:31
    4. "Cheap Tequila" - 2:44
    5. "Uncomplicated" - 3:40
    6. "Hold" (Derringer, Patti Smith) - 3:12
    7. "The Airport Giveth (The Airport Taketh Away)" - 2:49
    8. "Teenage Love Affair" - 3:20
    9. "It's Raining" - 2:05
    10. "Time Warp" - instrumental - 2:53
    11. "Slide On Over Slinky" - 4:21
    12. "Jump, Jump, Jump" - 6:00

Track listing for Spring Fever

1. Gimme More 3:35
    2. Tomorrow 3:35
    3. Don't Ever Say Goodbye 4:33
    4. Still Alive And Well 3:16
    5. Rock 4:45
    6. Hang On Sloopy 3:06
    7. Roll With Me 3:35
    8. Walkin' The Dog 4:10
    9. He Needs Some Answers 3:20
    10. Skyscraper Blues 3:53
    _______

In addition to the conventional two channel stereo version the album was also released in a four channel quadraphonic edition on LP record and 8-track tape in 1974. The quad LP release was encoded in the SQ matrix system.

All American Boy was reissued in the UK on the Super Audio CD format in 2018 by Dutton Vocalion. This release is a two albums on one disc compilation which also contains Derringer's 1975 album Spring Fever. The Dutton Vocalion disc contains the complete stereo and quad versions of both albums.

[​IMG]

All American Boy Quad mix by Don Young

"Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo"
    This song originally appeared on Johnny Winter And, which I figure is the best album either Johnny Winter or Rick Derringer ever did. Judging from the credits, Derringer played bass and both guitar parts on this version. Bass, drums and vocals are all mixed in front, while the two guitar parts are left rear and right rear. Congratulations, your purchase is completely justified already.

"Joy Ride"
    Joe Lala - congas, cowbell. First guitar part starts up left rear, the second guitar right rear, then third guitar left front. The third guitar sounds a little muffled for some reason. Bass and percussion all up front, some organ in the back.

"Teenage Queen"
    Joe Walsh - electric guitar Paul Harris – piano Kenny Passarelli – bass Joe Vitale – drums. Joe Lala isn’t on this one, but Joe Walsh and the rest of his band are. Vocals, bass, drums plus one guitar in front, 2nd guitar left rear, keyboards (don’t hear a “piano”) plus occasional third guitar right rear.

"Cheap Tequila"

Written by Derringer, this first appeared on Johnny Winter Still Alive and Well in 1973, with Derringer playing electric. But instead of Johnny, we have David Bromberg!!! – dobro, plus Paul Harris – piano. Guitar left rear, Dobro right rear. Backing vocals rear.

"Uncomplicated"
    Joe Walsh and his band are back again, including Lala this time. Guitars left and right rear, plus lead guitar left front. Backing vocals rear.

"Hold"
    After leaving Johnny Winter And, Derringer played with Edgar Winter for many years, who unlike his brother didn’t have serious drug problems. Edgar plays piano on this one. Backing vocals, definitely some uncredited strings, and maybe a horn in the back. Everything else in front.

"The Airport Giveth (The Airport Taketh Away)"
    Edgar also on piano on this one. Strings (or maybe a mellotron), one guitar, backing vocals in rear; everything else in front.

"Teenage Love Affair"
    Guitars left and right rear. Derringer and Hall (male) vocals in front, Groves and Thomas (female) vocals in rear. Guitar solo in rear. Spectacular surround track.

"It's Raining"
    Jean "Toots" Thielemans - chromatic harmonica, Paul Harris – piano, Joe Lala – congas. Organ left rear, guitar right rear, everything else in front.

"Time Warp"
    Edgar Winter – organ, Joe Lala – congas. Guitars left and right rear. Third guitar in front. Mellotron in rear.

"Slide On Over Slinky"
    Edgar Winter - synthesized clavinet. Bass in surround, guitars left and right rear. Backing vocals in rear. Another awesome surround track.

"Jump, Jump, Jump"
    Edgar Winter - electric piano, acoustic piano. Electric piano left rear, guitar right rear. Normal piano and everything else in front. The second guitar left rear, lead guitar in front. Another song vastly improved with surround.

Spring Fever Quad mix by Shelly Yakus and Kevin Herron

“Gimme More”
    Rhythm guitar rear left, piano rear right, flaming lead guitar front. Pretty good lead off song.

“Tomorrow”
    Rhythm guitar rear, then left with organ rear right. But what’s up front isn’t that interesting – can’t get excited about this song.

“Don't Ever Say Goodbye”
    Just guitar in front at start, then moves to the rear when bass, drums and vocals start up. Some interesting acoustic guitar, but I’m snoozing again.

“Still Alive And Well”
    The title track of the aforementioned Johnny Winter album was also written by Derringer, but he did not play on it. First bluesy number on this album, and I’m loving it again. Guitar parts for the rears and the front, plus a nice sax solo in front, and backing vocals in the rear. Johnny appears somewhere on this album, I suppose it might be this song.

“Rock”
    Synthesizers in the rears, also guitar right rear. This track sounds rather Frankensteinish, and I’m thinking that’s Edgar in the back, but I guess some of it could be Chic Corea.

“Hang On Sloopy”
    Well, we’ve got another not the blues at all song, and I’m not amused. Some nice guitar in the back though I guess.

“Roll With Me”
    Lead guitar in the back, and I think we can call it the blues again.

“Walkin' The Dog”
    Cover of an old Rufus Thomas blues standard. Female lead vocalist, must be Doris Still. Guitar and keyboards left and right rear. Lead guitar in front.

“He Needs Some Answers”
    I don’t think this is Rick on lead vocal either, but it might be. Guitars in the back, including lead.

“Skyscraper Blues”
    Bar noises left rear, harmonica left rear. Backing vocals rear. Definitely Rick on lead vocals.
    ____

I was a big Johnny and Edgar Winter fan back in the day, so the debut album was an autobuy. I liked it enough to get the next one too, but that was it for me and Rick Derringer. I did replace All American Boy with a CD, and getting the quad mix with the second one thrown in for free was also an autobuy. Unlike some 70’s quads, there is a soundstage in front; guitars, background vocals, and occasionally other instruments are mixed to the back. Both albums are better than I remember them; cool surround never hurts. There’s maybe three songs on Spring Fever that I don’t like, which makes it the weaker album.

All American Boy: 2/3
    Spring Fever: 1/3

10. mark winstanley

Ok, well I don't know who the clown was that wrote that dribble ... :shrug:, but lets see how we go :)

Audiowannabee likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

Honky Château

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Elton John
    Released
    19 May 1972
    Recorded January 1972
    Studio Château d'Hérouville, Hérouville, France; mixed at Trident Studios, London
    Genre Rock
    Length 45:15
    Label Uni (US) DJM (UK)
    Producer Gus Dudgeon

Honky Château is the fifth studio album by English musician Elton John. It was released in 1972, and was titled after the 18th century French chateau where it was recorded, Château d'Hérouville. The album reached number one in the US, the first of John's seven consecutive US number one albums.[4]

In 2012, the album was ranked number 359 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. It was certified gold in July 1972 and platinum in October 1995 by the RIAA. This was the final Elton John album on the Uni label in the US and Canada before MCA consolidated all of its various labels under the MCA brand. This and John's earlier Uni albums were later reissued on MCA Records.

Two singles were released worldwide from Honky Château, "Rocket Man" and "Honky Cat." A third single, "Hercules," was prepared for release, but this never materialised.[5]

Production
    • Producer – Gus Dudgeon
    • Engineer – Ken Scott
    • Remastering – Tony Cousins
    • Cover photo – Ed Caraeff
    • Liner notes – John Tobler
    • Editing – Gus Skinas
    • Digital transfers – Ricky Graham
    • Surround mix – Greg Penny
    1. "Honky Cat" – 5:13
    2. "Mellow" – 5:32
    3. "I Think I'm Going to Kill Myself" – 3:35
    4. "Susie (Dramas)" – 3:25
    5. "Rocket Man" – 4:45
    6. "Salvation" – 3:58
    7. "Slave" – 4:22
    8. "Amy" – 4:03
    9. "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" – 5:00
    10. "Hercules" – 5:20
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So far we have looked at the Elton John self titled album and Madman Across The Water, and as has been mentioned before they are excellent examples of surround mixing and audio quality.

Elton Hercules John, was born Reginald Kenneth Dwight March 25th 1947 in Middlesex England. His parents both liked music and his Mother exposed Reggie to Elvis, Bill Haley, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. Although his Father had played trumpet in a local band, he tried to push young Reggie in a conventional banking job.
    Reggie started playing the piano as a young boy, and by the age of seven could pick a tune, and was playing at family gatherings. By the age of eleven he received a junior scholarship to the Royal Academy of Music. For the next five years he attended Saturday classes at the academy in central London. He ended up leaving the academy before taking his final exams.

Young Reggie started playing piano at a local pub when he was 15, and shortly after formed a ban called Bluesology, and by the mid sixties they were backing touring American R&B and Soul acts .. Isley Brothers, Patti Labelle... In 1966 they became Long John Baldry's supporting band, doing about 16 shows at the Marquee.

In 1967 Reggie answered a newspaper add in NME, placed by Ray Williams (A&R guy for Liberty Records) and at there first meeting he gave Reggie an unopened envelope of lyrics by a guy called Bernie Taupin, who had answered the same add.
    Reggie wrote music for the lyrics and sent it to Bernie, and they still work together ...
    By late 67, early 68, Reggie started calling himself Elton John in homage to two members of Bluesology - sax player Elton Dean, and singer Long John Baldrey.

Elton and Bernie became staff writers at DJM records for a couple of years, but in 69 after getting some advice to write some more complex songs, Elton and Bernie ended up recording and releasing Lady Samantha and the Empty Sky album in 1969.
    In 1970 they were joined by Gus Dudgeon as producer and Paul Buckmaster as the musical arranger, and worked on the album that become Elton John. The first single The Border Song just poked its nose into the US top 100, but the next single Your Song broke into the top ten in the UK and the US, and the album reached number 4 on the US album chart. Elton and Bernie were on their way.
    They followed this up with the concept album Tumbleweed Connection in Oct 1970, and it reached number 2 in the UK and number 5 in the US.
    In 1971 the pair wrote the soundtrack for a movie called friends and Released the album Madman Across The Water, which again made the top ten in the US album charts.
    In 1972 guitarist Davey Johnstone joined the band, and the next album release was Honky Chateau ... It was Elton's first number one album in the US, and stayed at number one for five weeks. It was the start of a run of seven consecutive number one albums in the US, and it is the album we're looking at today.

This is an sacd release and unfortunately out of print
    Amazon has 2 copies starting at $76 https://www.amazon.com/Honky-Chateau-Elton-John/dp/B00064X3EU
    Discogs has eight copies starting at $50 https://www.amazon.com/Honky-Chateau-Elton-John/dp/B00064X3EU
    Ebay has a few copies starting at about $50 honky chateau sacd | eBay

5.1 mix and master Greg Penny

Honky Cat
    When I was a pup my parents had Elton's greatest hits, and this was my favourite track on it ... well actually it's an amazing collection of tracks, but this is one of the most rhythmically brilliant songs ever. The way the parts work together creates this awesome groove... anyway
    The piano starts up front and then the keys come in in the rears, with a nice left right alternation thing going on.
    Then we get some nice fat horns .... I mean these are some of the best sounding horns ever.
    There is a very cool banjo in the right rear.
    This sounds fantastic.... hey audiophiles, is this audiophile sound, it sure sounds like it to me.

Mellow
    We open with a really nice, rich sounding piano.
    The drums are really solid, and we get a perfect little punch from the sub.
    When the chorus kicks in we get a guitar in the left rear.
    Organ comes in on the right.
    We also get an effected violin lead break from none other than Jean Luc Ponty.
    Another nice, balanced mix.

I Think I'm Gonna Kill Myself
    A piano comes in front left.
    Drums and bass are solid up front.
    When the chorus comes in we get an extra piano across the rears.
    At the end of the chorus we get bvox that spread down the sides .
    We get some tap dancing across the rears... starting right rear, moving to left rear, and then left front.
    Again excellent

Suzie
    We get the same basic set up here.
    During the chorus we get a cowbell and riff guitar in the right rear.
    Another nice mix.

Rocket Man
    Piano and vocals up front.
    Bass up front
    Acoustic guitars and bvox in the rears
    Sounds fantastic.
    The slide moves around nice and smoothly.
    Synth starts right rear.
    Marvelous mix.
    I never really noticed what an intricate arrangement this is before
    Excellent.

Salvation
    Piano front
    Acoustics rears, organ rears.
    Slide guitars front and right rear.
    Bvox rears.
    There isn't much more to say really, another excellent mix.

Slave
    Acoustic gtr front left. Gtr right rear.
    Vibrato gtr left rear, bass solid up front with nice sub assist.
    Slide guitar up front.
    Percussion rears.
    Excellent

Amy
    Piano up front
    Percussion rears
    Gtr left rear.
    Organ rears.
    Jean Luc is back right rear on the violin.
    Violin lead break up front.
    Bvox rears.
    Greg Penny has done a great job here again. He isn't shy about using the whole area, and he does it well, and this album has a great mix and sound. Top quality stuff.

Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
    The piano is nice and full across the front. Again the bass is nice a rich with sub assist.
    When the chorus comes, we get a really nice arrangement of vocals around us.
    Second verse has mandolin and acoustic guitar come in the rears.
    Again marvelous sound.

Hercules
    Acoustic guitars either side.
    Solid bass and drums up front.
    The vocal sounds slightly distant, possibly due to the choice of reverb....
    Bvox in rears.
    Everything is audible, and nicely mixed in the soundfield.... the mix seems a little unusual, but I am not familiar with the original album version.
    This track certainly doesn't sound bad, just slightly unusual, and that mostly be how it's supposed to sound.

There is also an alternate version of Slave as a bonus.
    This sounds great. All these Elton albums have been done well, and I think if you like Elton and surround, you should keep your eyes open and get them all anyway
    I really like this album, and it's a great mix.

12. mark winstanley

I'm going to have to leave it there friends. Rather hardcore hangover, and not enough sleep.
    Have a good day :righton:

Mister Charlie and Audiowannabee like this.
  13. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Those instruments from top speakers should be down mixed to the remaining channels if you aren't set up for Atmos, rather than simply omitting them.

14. riskylogic

Right, but it seems like you might need an Atmos compatible receiver to make that happen.

15. Hymie the Robot

Not really from my understanding. Atmos is in a 7.1 container. The 7.1 contains all the info needed and Atmos cues moves the 3D info to the top speakers. The info will still be present down mixed to 5.1.

Although Kick is a little uneven when I listened to it down mixed to 4 full range channels, I liked it more than I thought I would.

16. mark winstanley

I may have to try it again ... It sounded awful when I listened to it. My assumption was that for some reason this atmos mix didn't have whatever it needed to down mix to 5.1. Obviously I could be completely wrong, but that is what the sound left me feeling at least

17. Hymie the Robot

The songs are uneven as I mentioned. Some are mixed better than others. It has been awhile since I listened to it.

The last few days have been so hot here in Florida I haven't even turned on my amps. That will have to change soon. Looking forward to the next huge thunderstorm to cool things off!

18. mark winstanley

ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits

[​IMG]
    Greatest hits album by
    Elvis Presley
    Released
    September 24, 2002
    Recorded January 10, 1956 – October 29, 1976
    Genre Rock and roll
    Length 79:34
    Label RCA
    Producer David Bendeth[1]
    Compiler Ernst Mikael Jorgensen Roger Semon

ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits is a greatest hits collection of songs by American rock and roll singer Elvis Presley. It was released by RCA Records on September 24, 2002. It is the first Elvis Presley album to feature the remix of "A Little Less Conversation" by JXL that was released earlier in the year and reached No. 1 in the UK and Australia.

When released, ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits was an instant success, going straight to the top of the albums charts in several countries and shipping mass quantities around the world. A companion album, 2nd to None, was released the next year.[3] By 2003, the album had received certifications in more than 15 regions and had sold millions of copies worldwide. Its most recent certification, a 6× Platinum award, for US sales in excess of six million copies, was announced by the RIAA on March 8, 2018.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Label: RCA ‎– 07863 65053-9, BMG ‎– 07863 65053-9
    Format: DVD, DVD-Audio, Multichannel, Compilation
    Released: 2002
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Rock & Roll

1 –Elvis* vs. JXL* A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix)Remix – JXL*Written-By – Strange*, Davis* 3:30
    Original Album
    2 –Elvis Presley Way Down Vocals – J.D. Sumner & The Stamps, Kathy Westmoreland, Myrna Smith, Sherrill NielsenWritten-By – Martine Jr.* 2:37
    3 –Elvis Presley Burning Love Written-By – Linde* 2:50
    4 –Elvis Presley The Wonder Of You Vocals – The Imperials*, Millie Kirkham, The Sweet InspirationsWritten-By – Knight* 2:35
    5 –Elvis Presley Suspicious Minds Written-By – James* 4:29
    6 –Elvis Presley In The Ghetto Written-By – Davis* 2:45
    7 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Crying In The Chapel Written-By – Glenn* 2:23
    8 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* (You're The) Devil In Disguise Written-By – Baum*, Giant*, Kaye* 2:23
    9 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Return To Sender Written-By – Blackwell*, Scott* 2:09
    10 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* She's Not You Written-By – Pomus*, Leiber*, Stoller* 2:08
    11 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Good Luck Charm Written-By – Schroeder*, Gold* 2:26
    12 –Elvis Presley Can't Help Falling In Love Written-By – Weiss*, Peretti*, Creatore* 3:01
    13 –Elvis Presley (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame Written-By – Pomus/Shuman* 2:10
    14 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Surrender Written-By – Pomus/Shuman* 1:51
    15 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Wooden Heart Written-By – Weisman*, Kaempfert*, Wise*, Twomey* 1:58
    16 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Are You Lonesome Tonight? Written-By – Handman*, Turk* 3:06
    17 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* It's Now Or Never Written-By – Schroeder*, Gold* 3:15
    18 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Stuck On You Written-By – Schroeder*, McFarland* 2:21
    19 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* A Big Hunk O' Love Written-By – Schroeder*, Wyche* 2:12
    20 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* (Now And Then There's) Such A Fool As I Written-By – Trader* 2:40
    21 –Elvis Presley One Night Written-By – Bartholomew*, King* 2:33
    22 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Hard Headed Woman Written By – DeMetrius* 1:56
    23 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Don't Written-By – Leiber/Stoller* 2:49
    24 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Jailhouse Rock Written-By – Leiber/Stoller* 2:37
    25 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear Written-By – Lowe*, Mann* 1:48
    26 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* All Shook Up Written-By – Presley*, Blackwell* 2:00
    27 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Too Much Written-By – Weinman*, Rosenberg* 2:33
    28 –Elvis Presley Love Me Tender Vocals – Charles Prescott, Jon Dodson, Rad RobinsonWritten-By – Presley*, Matson* 2:45
    29 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Hound Dog Written-By – Leiber/Stoller* 2:16
    30 –Elvis Presley With The Jordinaires* Don't Be Cruel Written-By – Presley*, Blackwell* 2:04
    31 –Elvis Presley Heartbreak Hotel Vocals – Ben Speer, Brock Speer, Gordon StokerWritten-By – Presley*, Axton*, Durden* 2:10
    Bonus Tracks
    32 –Elvis Presley Burning Love (A:B Test)
    33 –Elvis Presley Return To Sender (A:B Test)
    34 –Elvis Presley (You're The) Devil In Disguise (A:B Test)Edited By – Mike Barnard
    35 –Elvis Presley In The Ghetto (Outtake)
    36 –Elvis Presley Suspicious Minds (Outtake)
    37 –Elvis Presley Crying In The Chapel (Outtake)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well an extra little nap, and one can be somewhat refreshed.

I'm not going to give a big historical rundown on Elvis, but anyone that spends much time on the forum knows I am a fan, and for the last two years we have been running through his catalog on our Elvis threads... I think there are four now, as the guys didn't want to have one huge sprawling thread. I have been blessed to have some very knowledgeable people participate in those threads and have learned an awful lot.
    If you have any interest in Elvis at all, and you can sit aside the preconceived notions that chronically bad publicity from his later years has left, unfortunately in the grips of a chronic drug addiction (prescription) and a shady leach for a manager, Elvis's career has a lot more to offer than popular myth would suggest.... yes even the movie years.
    The Fifties - Elvis Presley the Albums and Singles Thread *
    The Sixties - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    The Seventies - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies
    The Posthumous years Pt 1 - Elvis Presley - The Posthumous Years 1978-1998

The thread index that links all the thread indexes to go to any song or album we have covered - Elvis Presley - The Posthumous Years 1978-1998

So there is enough Elvis there to keep the most eager fan entertained for a while.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The tracklist for this release was reversed for this dvd. The idea being that the later recordings were obviously more conducive to 5.1 mixes, having more tracks to use, and therefor be more effective.
    It is a long time since I listened to this, so my memory says that the first few songs are pretty decent, but the older songs, obviously only recorded on three track (I believe) are less immersive, but I honestly don't really remember, so lets have at it.

• Mastered By [5.1 Mastering] – Ted Jensen
    • Mixed By, Engineer – Ray Bardani
    • Mixed By, Producer [Compilation] – David Bendeth
    • Other [Surround Sound Consultation] – Arif Mardin, Jack Joseph Puig, Transamerica Audio, Troy
    That's the listing on discogs of those responsible for this mix.

There are seven copies on discogs from about $27 Elvis Presley - ELV1S 30 #1 Hits
    Amazon has copies from about $33 https://www.amazon.com/Elv1s-30-Hits-Elvis-Presley/dp/B00007EL92
    Ebay has several copies floating around the $50 ish https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Elvis+30+#1+hits+dvd+audio&_sacat=0
    Be slightly wary of the Ebay ones with the gold cover, my understanding is the gold cover is just the cd, so if one of those interests you, check out with the buyer first..

This is a dvd audio. It is all 96k
    There is no menu or picture, it just starts playing.

A Little Less Conversation
    I suppose to some degree this track was a little controversial being a sort of mix up, but this song should have always been a hit anyway, even in its original version, which isn't really too dissimilar.
    The groovy little intro starts up front.
    The sub has some punch for the kick.
    Some percussion comes in the sides.
    We get the rhythm guitar on the right.
    Jxl's sfx swirl and twist all over the place. It's pretty effective
    The organ comes in the rears.
    I think they added some reverb to Elvis vocal, and that annoys me slightly.
    This is a good fun mix, with plenty going on to satisfy the surround listener.
    The balance is good, and it ends up being an excellent, slightly psychedelic mix.

Way Down
    The d6 is on the right. A keyboard on the left side.
    Pretty decent. The sound is a little mushy... for want of a better term. It is immersive, but seems to have some definition issues, but enjoyable enough

Burning Love
    Guitar right rear. Keys left side.
    Another percussive gtr left rear.
    Much better clarity.
    Nice immersive mix here.
    Cowbell comes in right rear.
    The drums kind of sound like they're in the middle of the room, with the cymbals crashing on the rears.
    This is actually a pretty good mix, with more elements in the song than I remember.

The Wonder Of You
    This is a live version.
    This is pretty decent, but it is a little mushy sounding also.
    We have strings in the rears, and also the backing vocals. James Burton come in left front.
    Not bad, but the sound quality seems slightly low.

Suspicious Minds
    This instantly sounds excellent.
    Strings in the rears. Horns in the rears also. Some bvox in the rears also.
    This mix is very good, and we have a nice immersive soundfield.
    We do have the fake fade here also.

In The Ghetto
    Nice clear sound again.
    Acoustic guitar front left.
    Strings left side, horns right side and rear.
    Drums left side, but not out of context.
    This is a really nice mix actually.
    This disc is much better than I remember.
    Really very good.

Crying In The Chapel
    Elvis's vocals come through beautifully.
    This sounds very nice, but it is more using the ambience to create a depth, rather than being hugely immersive.
    We do have bvox, a keys bleeding into the sides, but it's more of a soundfield expansion and depth sound, sounds good though.

Devil In Disguise
    The guitar riff is just right of front right.
    When the uptempo section comes in, we are nicely surround with the frenetic musical activity.
    The sound here again is nice and clear.
    Good mix

Return To Sender
    This again is working more with a depth of sound, it sound good, but is not so much channelled as filled.
    I like it.

She's not you
    Piano left side. Bvox right side.
    Some channelling here, but again there is more an emphasis on depth. It sounds very good and it is immersive.

Good Luck Charm
    Gtr right side. Piano left side.
    Again nice clear sound.
    Again there is a depth of field here, with some placement, but on overall emphasis on depth.
    I like this one also.

Can't Help Falling In Love
    Drums and piano left side. Bvox in the sides. Guitar in the rears.
    This sounds nice, it is effectively immersive, but has its limitations.

His Latest Flame
    Piano left side. Drums right side.
    Nice and clear sound, and nicely immersive.

Surrender
    Percussion in the rears.
    This kind of has the music in an arc.
    Bvox on the right. Horns on the left.
    Effective, I enjoy it

Wooden Heart
    Piano accordion front left.
    Bass left side. Nice sub assist.
    Another piano accordion comes in in the rears. Elvis vocals have on effects send to the right rear.
    Not state of the art, but enjoyable enough.

Are you Lonesome Tonight
    Guitar sides.
    This track works more as a depth of field thing rather than having extreme channel mixing. We get sends to amplify the effect of surround.
    It sounds nice.

It's Now Or Never
    Percussion in the right rear.
    Piano right side. Rhythm section left side and front.
    Quite effective. Mandolin left rear.
    This ends up being really quite effective.
    The has a nice immersive feel.
    Actually quite excellent.

Stuck On You
    Piano left side. Drums kind of middle of the room, slightly right side.
    A very full sound here also, and quite effective.

Big Hunk O Love
    This sounds quite good. It fills the room, but I think it is achieved through sends.
    It is effective, but not state of the art.

A Fool Such As I
    This has a sound similar to the last track.
    It's like they developed or used a technique to get a nice immersive kind of sound, without discrete channelling. It sounds good, and clear.

One Night
    Ride cymbal left side.
    For the most part similar to the previous couple. I find it enjoyable.

Hard Headed Woman
    Horns in the rears.
    This is actually really effective.
    This is quite excellent.

Don't
    This is mainly ambience, but what a song, and vocal.

Jailhouse Rock
    Piano right side.
    With the ambience it again works quite well, but obviously not 2020 mixing options.

Teddy Bear
    This again is working in an ambience thing. I like the sound of it, but it again isn't discrete channelled as such, though nice enough.

All Shook Up
    Again this sounds good, and fills the room. The percussion seems to be in the middle of the room, but essentially we have a really nice ambient mix.

Too Much
    Same again here.

Love Me Tender
    The vocal and guitar is slightly left up front, and there is some gentle room ambience

Hound Dog
    Claps are in the rears.
    Interesting. Like the music is in the middle of the room to some degree, with Elvis up front.
    This is immersive, surprisingly.

Don't Be Cruel
    This one is a little unusual too.
    The riff guitar is front right and quits when the vocal comes in.
    Hats left side. Snare middle of room.
    Fills the room, sounds nice enough.

Heartbreak Hotel
    This is one of the most unique and important songs of the twentieth century.
    This is predominantly working from ambience, but the piano comes in the rears.

The burning love a-b test is interesting.
    We get a switching between a sort of thin sound, and then a more full sound.
    Return to sender is the same.
    Maybe one of out tech heads could tell us what's happening here.
    Devil in disguise is the same thing.

In the ghetto outtake is a straight Elvis vocal, with a low mixed organ underneath. In fact this is virtually a vocal with no backing. It is only a snippet.
    About 1:30
    Suspicious minds is the same low mixed music with the vocal up front... about a minute fifteen.
    Crying in the chapel has some studio chat.
    Then we get a start, a stop. Then we start again. About a minute

This is an interesting release. I am not really sure of the qualifications of the people involved in the mix, but we get somewhat mixed results. There are several songs, as stated, that sound really good. There are a couple of the latter day recordings that sound a little muffled. Some of the early sixties stuff sounds surprisingly good ... and the fifties stuff probably sounds about as good as 2002 technology would allow.
    I am a big fan of Elvis, so I may be somewhat biased in my thoughts here, but doing my best to be objective, most of this is very good ... something like the first half of the disc, or more (refer to song notes), is very effective in creating an immersive soundfield. The fifties stuff fills the room, but isn't what one would consider discrete channelling.
    On the whole I think this is something the surround fan of Elvis would very much want ... we tend to be like that. I think a casual fan of Elvis would like a lot of this, and as I say would probably feel they got good value out of most of the first half to three quarters of the disc.
    What we are really waiting for are the quads. Many of Elvis's late sixties and early seventies albums got quad releases, but as yet they haven't surfaced. I am not sure if Dutton Vocalion can get access to them, or if the Presley estate is even considering releasing these, but they seem the most likely surround option, perhaps down the road.
    To be honest after hearing In The Ghetto and Suspicious Minds on here, I really really want the Chips Moman American Studios stuff remixed into surround, by someone who knows what they are doing, because those sounded particularly good, and I think those sessions, along with the Elvis Is Back sessions are just about the two pinnacles of Elvis's career... I know folks are more interested in the fifties stuff, and the sun sessions, but The early sixties, and the late sixties and early seventies are my peak Elvis recordings and sessions...
    Anyway I am probably boring you all jabbering on about this stuff, but for thirty bucks on discogs, you could do worse than give this a try. Like I say it's a mixed bag, but the highs are pretty high

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    laf848, TheAbsentMind, Rupe33 and 5 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Also don't forget to run through any of the albums we have done, if you feel drawn to

Reference to the albums

Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic
    Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery and Imagination
    Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky
    Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue
    Alison Krauss and Union Station - New Favourite

Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East
    Allman Brother Band - Eat a Peach
    Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here thanks @riskylogic
    Anathema - Weather Systems thanks @riskylogic
    Anderson, Ian - Homo Erraticus
    Anderson, Ian - TAAB 2
    Argent - In Deep thanks @riskylogic

Ayreon - The Source thanks @riskylogic

Band - Music From Big Pink ... I did this twice ... must occasionally sleep lol
    Barclay James Harvest - GoneTo Earth
    Bass Communion - Loss thanks @riskylogic
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
    The Beatles - Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Beatles - Abbey Road
    Be Bop Deluxe - Futurama
    Be Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish
    Beck, Jeff - Blow By Blow
    Beck, Jeff - Wired
    Beethoven - 3rd Symphony Eroica
    Beethoven - 5th Concerto (Emporer) - Barenboim/Rubenstein
    Bjork - Vespertine
    Bjork - Medulla
    Blackfield - IV thanks @riskylogic
    Blackfield - V thanks @riskylogic
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Blood Sweat and Tears - Blood Sweat And Tears
    Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
    Blue Oyster Cult - Agents Of Fortune
    Bowie, David - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
    Bowie, David - Young Americans
    Bowie, David - Station To Station
    Bowie, David - Stage
    Browne, Jackson - Running On Empty
    Bruce- Jack - Shadows In The Air thanks @riskylogic
    Bruford - Feels Good To Me thanks @riskylogic

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink thanks @riskylogic
    Charles, Ray - Ray Sings, Basie Swings
    Clapton, Eric - Give Me Strength The 74/75 Recordings
    Clapton, Eric - Reptile
    Clapton, Eric - Back Home

Cobham, Billy - Spectrum
    Cobham, Billy - Spectrum (Quad) thanks @-dave--wave-
    Coltrane, Alice/Santana, Carlos - Illuminations

Davis, Miles - Sketches Of Spain
    Davis, Miles - In A Silent Way
    Davis, Miles - Bitches Brew
    Davis, Miles - Live Evil
    Davis, Miles - Tutu
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Deep Purple - Stormbringer
    Dekker, Desmond - Anthology thanks @riskylogic
    Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
    Depeche Mode - Violator
    Depeche Mode - Delta Machine
    Derek and the Dominos - Layla and other assorted love songs
    Derringer, Rick - All American Boy and Spring Fever thanks @riskylogic
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
    Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me
    Doors - Waiting For The Sun
    Doors - LA Woman
    Doors - Best Of thanks @riskylogic
    Drake, Nick - A Treasury
    Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
    Dukes Of Stratosphear - Psurroundabout Ride
    Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde
    Dylan, Bob - Slow Train Coming

Eagles - Hotel California
    ELO - debut album
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Tarkus
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

Fagen, Donald - The Nightfly
    Fahl, Mary - From The Dark Side Of The Moon thanks @riskylogic
    Ferry, Bryan - Boys and Girls
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975)
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Foreigner - Foreigner
    Franklin, Aretha - best of

Gabriel, Peter - Up
    Gallagher, Rory - Big Guns (Best Of)
    Gaye, Marvin - Lets Get It On
    Genesis - Overview of all thanks @MikeF63
    Genesis - Foxtrot
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
    Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    Genesis - And Then There Were Three
    Gentle Giant - Three Piece Suite
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory
    Gentle Giant - Interview
    Gilmour, Dave - On An Island
    Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead
    Guns And Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Hackett, Steve - Voyage Of The Acolyte thanks @riskylogic
    Hackett, Steve - At The Edge Of Light
    Hancock, Herbie - Sextant
    Hendrix,
    Jimi - Electric Ladyland

Inxs - Kick
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death

Jeff Beck Group - Rough And Ready
    Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
    Jethro Tull - A Passion Play/ Chateau d'Herouville
    Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery
    Jethro Tull - Stormwatch
    Jethro Tull - TAAB 2 thanks @riskylogic
    Joel, Billy - The Stranger
    John, Elton - Elton John

John, Elton - Madman Across The Water
    John , Elton - Honky Chateau

Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - The Traveller
    King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King 40th and 50th
    King Crimson - Red
    King Crimson - Beat
    King Crimson - Thrak
    King Crimson - The Power To Believe
    Knopfler, Mark - Sailing To Philadelphia
    Knopfler, Mark - Shangri La
    Kooper, Al (with Bloomfield and Stills) Super Sessions
    Kraftwerk - 3d Catalogue - Man Machine

Lennon, John - Imagine, Ultimate Edition
    Living Colour - Collideoscope
    Love And Rockets - Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven thanks @riskylogic
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
    Manheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire 8 thanks @riskylogic
    Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear
    Marillion - Afraid Of Sunlight
    Monk, Thelonius - Supreme Jazz
    Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed
    Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance
    Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
    Morrison, Van - Moondance
    Mussorgsky, Modeste - Carlo Ponti - Pictures At An Exhibition+
    Mozart - 40th Symphony
    Mozart - Rene Jacobs - Le Nozze Di Figaro (The Marriage Of Figaro)

Nektar - Journey To The Centre of The Eye Thanks @riskylogic
    Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
    No Man - Schoolyard Ghosts Thanks @riskylogic

Oldfield, Mike - Ommadawn
    Oldfield, Mike - Five Miles Out
    Oldfield, Mike - Crises thanks @Sordel 's overview
    Oldfield, Mike - Return To Ommadawn thanks @riskylogic
    Opeth - Deliverance / Damnation thanks @riskylogic
    Opeth - Pale Communion
    Opeth - In Cauda Venenum

Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day
    Pineapple Thief - Dissolution
    Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
    Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
    Pixies - Doolittle thanks @Galactus2
    Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (deluxe version 1) - Update on fixed copy
    Porcupine Tree - Deadwing thanks @riskylogic
    Presley, Elvis - 30 #1 hits

Queen - A Night At The Opera

REM - Green
    REM - Monster
    REM - Around The Sun thanks @riskylogic
    Renaissance - Turn Of The Cards thanks @riskylogic
    Rich, Charlie Behind Closed Doors
    Riverside - Love, Fear And The Time Machine thanks @riskylogic
    Riverside - Wasteland
    Roxy Music - Avalon
    Rundgren, Todd - Liars - Thanks @riskylogic
    Rush - Fly By Night
    Rush - 2112
    Rush - A Farewell To Kings (Wilson version)
    Rush - Hemispheres
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    Rush - Signals

Santana - Abraxas
    Santana - Lotus
    Shankar & Gingger - One In A Million thanks @riskylogic
    Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits
    Soord, Bruce - All This Will Be Yours
    Squire, Chris - Fish Out Of Water
    Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle

Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker - Neeme Jarvi
    Talking Heads - Fear Of Music
    Talking Heads - Remain In Light
    Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
    Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair
    Temple Of The Dog - Temple Of The Dog
    Thomas, Michael Tilson - Orff, Beethoven, Gershwin - Carmina Burana, An American In Paris, Rhapsody In Blue + more
    Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes

Townsend, Pete/Lane, Ronnie - Rough Mix
    T Rex - Electric Warrior

Uk - Night After Night
    Uriah Heep - Gold From The Byron Era

Velvet Underground - Re-Loaded

Wakeman, Rick - Six Wives Of Henry The Eighth
    Waters, Roger - Amused to Death
    Wayne, Jeff - War Of The Worlds
    Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
    Who - Tommy
    Who - Quadrophenia
    Wilson, Steven - The Raven That Refused To Sing
    Wilson, Steven - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
    Wilson, Steven - To The Bone
    Wings - Band On The Run
    Wishbone Ash - Bare Bones thanks @riskylogic

XTC - Drums And Wires
    XTC - The Black Sea
    XTC - Oranges and Lemons

Yes - The Yes Album
    Yes - Close To The Edge
    Yes - Tale Of Topographic Oceans
    Young, Neil - Harvest

Zappa - Quaudiophiliac

If the mood takes you, please feel free to give us your summary of any of these albums that we have done. For our purposes here, please try and give us information about the mix, in as much or as little detail as takes your fancy.
    If you feel so inclined, review the album, and the mastering or anything else about the album that you feel drawn to.
    Cheers,
    Mark

20. mark winstanley

For next week

The Doors - Strange Days

Jagger69, Ed Hughes, zobalob and 6 others like this.
  21. mark winstanley

Bjork - Volta

drum_cas likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Let Love In

zobalob likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

Jeff Beck Group - "Orange"

fast'n'bulbous and goodboyfred like this.
  24. mark winstanley

Roxy Music - debut

25. mark winstanley

Opeth - Heritage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.