Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Huh... I do not think of this as a rock and roll song at all. It's more a show tune with silly lyrics that are designed to advance a plot point (Elvis is fired from his job as a singer after his performance of this song instigates a brawl with a bunch of drunken frat boys). Definitely one of the lesser songs on the record.

mark winstanley and ClausH like this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Bob Johnston again comes through with one of the better tracks on the record. It's not up to the standard of C'Mon Everybody, but it's a nice little rocker that stands out because there's not much in the way of competition on this record.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  3. django5722

django5722 Well-Known Member

Wow, I'd forgotten that. Well, as much as I love the 30's and 40's Mae West, I think we all could agree Ms. Stanwyck was a far better choice.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  4. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Mae West and Elvis would have been too much--a collision of super stars resulting in a supernova of camp. Barbara Stanwyck was a tough broad and superlative actress who either got results from her co-stars or left their blood on the floor.

5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That is such a great line about Stanwyck that I had to read it out loud to my gal. I am a huge fan of hers too since I grew up watching The Big Valley as a kid. You really nail her stellar reputation and personality. I understand that she gave Lee Majors quite a schooling during the Big Valley days.

6. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Love both of these song even though they're lyrically dated. (Particularly Poison Ivy League.) But I don't care, Poison/League melodically scratches an itch for me. And Hard Knocks is sort of in the vein of "Trouble" though obviously more upbeat and without the Louisiana Bayou influence. I don't think its on par with Trouble, not even close, but its inoffensive and actually pretty good.

Such are opinions. Its probably my second favorite song on the album, and overall this album is my second or third favorite soundtrack. Love these songs.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

One thing I've noticed is that although fans tend to agree on what it an artist's best work, there is much more variance of opinion when looking at the "bad" stuff. For example, although most Declan McManus fans agree that his 21st-Century work is not nearly as good as his 20th Century work was, there is no consensus at all on what are his best and worst recent albums. In like manner, although most of us agree the soundtracks were not Elvis' best work, there clearly is no consensus about which songs are the best or worst.

I'm surprised anyone would strongly like "Poison Ivy League" but you are not alone, since someone felt the song was worthy to be included on the two-disc Command Performances CD back in the 90s. I was amazed to see that. To me it's not even among the best songs on the Roustabout album, much less worthy of being considered one of the best movie songs period. But clearly, the compiler of that set disagrees with me.

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I think it's a good song, but certainly not one of the best ... i think this is actually a good album

RSteven likes this.
  9. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I can’t see that any compiler would be able (or want) to exclude a song that was on the original release of an album.

10. mark winstanley

It's A Wonderful World
    Written By :
    Roy C. Bennett & Sid Tepper

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 2-3, April 29 and May 14, 1964 : March 2, 1964. take 13

Here we start off with a cool little rhythm on the drums with the instrumentation mixed quite low and it slowly rises as we move through the song. I really like the feel and the music on this. I guess that's why I consider this a great soundtrack, because I am not sure off the top of my head if there is even a weak track on here. Another good song.

RSteven likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

Big Love, Big Heartache
    Written By :
    Dolores Fuller, Lee Morris & Sonny Hendrix

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, March 2-3, April 29 and May 14, 1964 : March 3, 1964. take 17
    I love the way this song is written and performed. Even the slightly loud backing vocals in the chorus work perfectly in this application.

NumberEight and RSteven like this.
  12. django5722

django5722 Well-Known Member

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I remember correctly (and I may not), doesn't Elvis sing Poison Ivy League to a bunch of frat boys in a club to antagonize them in ROUSTABOUT? I remember really being impressed by that move when watching the film. Many of the things that sound odd on a record tend to work in the context of the film.

Regarding the COMMAND PERFORMANCES set, that 2-cd set had very interesting liner notes, which put the Elvis soundtrack songs into proper context by looking at them in the tradition of movie musicals. When I read the notes when that set came out, I thought to myself, "finally, someone gets it" in terms of looking at the songs in that tradition. Most of the records my parents owned were soundtracks of musical films, so I grew up hearing those. In some ways, the 60's Elvis films were modeled on (in a general sense) the 30's films of Bing Crosby, before he became acclaimed as a fine actor in GOING MY WAY in the 1940's. The formula that was applied to Bing, which had certain rules, was adapted for Elvis, and new rules were created for him, but the concept of the "vehicles" and the consistent persona with minor variations was similar. Also, I have a large Crosby collection, and when you listen to his massive body of work in order, the film songs "stand out" the same way they do in Elvis' career. They are not as 'strong" as the non-film songs for the most part, and you realize that they need the context of the film to be fully fleshed-out. They also sometimes have off-putting particulars in the lyrics that have to do with the plot or other characters-- but for those who've seen or remember the films, they make perfect sense and are full of meaning. For those who have not, they often seem a little "off."

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  13. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

BMG did exactly this when they released Moody Blue as a two-fer 20 years ago.

NumberEight and mark winstanley like this.
  14. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

The two disc collection in question, Command Performances, could only include a few songs from each 1960s soundtrack. I think the poster was implying of all the songs from Roustabout to include, he is confused as to why they chose Poison Ivy League when there are better choices. There are 4 songs that represent Roustabout on that compilation: Roustabout, Poison Ivy League, Little Egypt and Brand New Day. It is MY opinion that Big Love Big Heartache would have been a better choice than Poison Ivy League. They did a pretty good job picking the better songs however. But disc 1 is under 74 minutes and disc 2 is under 76 minutes. They could have squeezed in 4 or 5 more songs!

It seems the criteria was to include the title song, if the movie had one, the hit single if the movie had one, and a few others songs the compiler thought interesting.

A few other songs I could have replaced with better songs are:
    Beach Boy Blues
    Because Of Love
    One Boy Two Little Girls (as much as I like the sentiment)
    Poison Ivy League (already mentioned)
    Do The Clam (but it was a single, so I guess it was obligatory)
    Long Legged Girl (but it was the single, so I guess it was obligatory)
    Stay Away, Joe (hey they used this song INSTEAD of the single, I guess singles are NOT obligatory! I guess title cuts take precedence over singles. That way it is easy to identify the movie being represented. Although they did not represent Tickle Me at all.)

Try to find evidence that RCA, BMG or Sony has ever been consistent and you would be hard pressed to do so.

Another movies compilation "Elvis At The Movies" does have at least one song from each of the 31 Elvis non-documentary movies, including the 4 from the 1950s and Tickle Me. But it only has 40 songs to the Command Performances' 62 songs. And even then it manages to include the horrific Do The Clam as the ONLY song representing Girl Happy.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  15. Elvis was a really great entertainer. I saw him live 1977 with my parents when we visited the US (the first time for me).

16. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide
    1959 home recording
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 23 1960
    Touch Of Gold Vol 3 EP

Mar 23 1960
    Stuck on you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Fame And Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1960
    Elvis Is Back
    track 1 Make Me Know It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Girl Of My Best Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Will Be Home Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Dirty Dirty Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Thrill Of Your Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Soldier Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Girl Next Door Went a Walkin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Like A Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Reconsider Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 12 1960
    Elvis - Frank Sinatra show

Jul 5 1969

It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Mess O' Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1960
    GI Blues
    track 1 Tonight Is So Right For Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 What's She Really Like Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Frankfort Special Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 GI Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Pocket Full Of Rainbows Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Shoppin' Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Big Boots Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Didja Ever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Blues Suede Shoes (revisited) Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Doin' The Best I Can Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1960
    Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Live 1972 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 23 1960
    His Hand In Mine
    track 1 His Hand In Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I;m Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 In My Fathers House Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Milky White Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I Believe In The Man In The Sky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Joshua Fit The Battle Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 He Knows Just What I Need Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mansion On the Hilltop Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 If We Never Meet Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Working On The Building Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 7 1961
    Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Lonely Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 25 1961
    Pearl Harbour Concert - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 21 1961
    Flaming star EP
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 2 1961
    I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Wild In The country Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 19 1961
    Something For Everybody
    track 1 There's Always Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Give Me The Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 It's A Sin Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Sentimental Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Starting today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Gently Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 I'm Comin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 In your Arms Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Put The Blame On Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Judy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Want You With Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 8 1961
    His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 20 1961
    Blue Hawaii
    track 1 Blue Hawaii Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Almost always True Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Aloha Oe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 No More Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Can't help Falling in love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Rock a-hoola baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Moonlight Swim Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Ku'uipo Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Ito Eats Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Slicin' Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Hawaiian Sunset Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Beach Boy blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 Island Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 14 Hawaiian Wedding Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 21 1961
    Can't help falling in Love/Rock-a-Hula Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 27 1962
    Good Luck Charm Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Anything That's A Part Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 1962
    Follow That Dream EP
    track 1 Follow That Dream Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Angel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 What a Wonderful Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I'm Not The Marrying Kind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 5 1962
    Pot Luck
    track 1 Kiss Me Quick Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Just For Old Time Sake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Gonna Get back home Somehow Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 (such an) Easy question Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Steppin' Out Of Line Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm Yours Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Something Blue Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Suspicion Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 I Feel That I've Known you Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Night Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Fountain Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 That's Someone You Never Forget Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

July 17 1962
    She's Not You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Just Tell her Jim Said Hello Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 28 1962
    Kid Galahad EP
    track 1 King Of The Whole Wide World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 This Is Living Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Riding The Rainbow Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Home Is Where The Heart Is Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 I Got Lucky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Whistling Tune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 2 1962
    Return To Sender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Where Do You Come From Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 9 1962
    Girls Girls Girls
    track 1 Girls Girls Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I Don't Wanna Be Tied Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Where Do you Come From Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Don't Want To Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 We'll Be Together Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Boy Like Me, A girl Like You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Earth Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Return To Sender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Because Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Thanks To The Rolling Sea Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Song Of The Shrimp Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 The Walls Have Ears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 We're Coming in Loaded Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 29 1963
    One Broken Heart For Sale Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    They Remind Me too Much of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 10 1963
    It happened At The World's Fair
    track 1 Beyond The bend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Relax Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Take Me To The Fair Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 They Remind Me Too Much Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 One Broken Heart For Sale Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm falling In love Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Cotton Candy Land Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 World Of Our Own Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 How Would You Like To Be Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Happy ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 18 1963
    Devil In Disguise Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Please Don't Drag that String Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 12 1963
    Elvis Golden Records Vol. 3
    1 It's Now or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    2 Stuck on You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    3 Fame and Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    4 I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    5 Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    6 I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    7 Are You Lonesome Tonight? Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    8 (Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    9 Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    10 Good Luck Charm Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    11 Anything That's Part of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    12 She's Not You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1963
    Bossa Nova Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    remix Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Witchcraft Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1963
    Fun In Acapulco
    track 1 Fun In Acapulco Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Vino, Dinero Y Amor Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Mexico Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    (take 7) a better version Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 El Toro Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Marguerita Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Bullfighter Was A Lady Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 No Room to Rhumba In A Sports Car Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Bossa Nova Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 You Can't Say no In Acapulco Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Guadalajara Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Love Me Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 Slowly But Surely Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 10 1964
    Kissin' Cousins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    It Hurts Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

17. mark winstanley

Apr 2 1964

Kissin' Cousins - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Kissin' Cousins 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Smokey Mountain Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 There's Gold In The Mountains Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 One Boy, Two Little Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Catchin' On Fast Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Tender Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Anyone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Barefoot Ballad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Once Is Enough Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Kissin Cousins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Echoes Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 28 1964
    What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 1964
    Viva Las Vegas
    track 1 Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Yellow Rose Of Texas/Eyes Of Texas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 The Lady Loves Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 C'mon everybody Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Today Tomorrow And Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 The Climb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 If You Think I Don't Need You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 I Need Somebody To Lean On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Nightlife Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Do The Vega Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 You're The Boss Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jul 14 1964
    Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Never Ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 20 1964
    Roustabout
    track 1 Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Little Egypt Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Poison Ivy League Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Track 4 Hard Knocks Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 It's A Wonderful World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Big Love Big Heartache Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

I'm A Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

18. SKATTERBRANE

It has been TWENTY YEARS!! since the Moody Blue expanded? I'll be dead before I know it at this rate. But THANKFULLY they DID leave out the redundant cut from Live In Memphis: Let Me Be There. I do not understand the LOGIC in using that track in the first place. Felton was supposed to record new songs by Elvis during the 77 tours for this album. Elvis did not record many new songs. So instead of using a decent live recording of an old song performed in 1977, he decided to REUSE a live recording already on a 1974 LP. Did he and/or RCA think no one would notice?

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

But it was still part of the original album and there was plenty of room on the disc.

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  20. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Absolutely correct.

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. stereoguy

Terrific tune, and its always been one of my favorites on the Roustabout LP. They should have released that as a single.

22. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ll defend I’ve Got A Thing About You Baby (in 1973, Elvis still had that effortless sense of swing that characterized his 50s sides), Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues, Loving Arms, If You Talk In Your Sleep, and most of the rest of the Stax material until the day I die. I even like Three Corn Patches. There, I said it.

23. stereoguy

[QUOTE="czeskleba, post: 20417857, member: 47"
    I'm surprised anyone would strongly like "Poison Ivy League" but you are not alone, since someone felt the song was worthy to be included on the two-disc Command Performances CD back in the 90s. I was amazed to see that. To me it's not even among the best songs on the Roustabout album, much less worthy of being considered one of the best movie songs period. But clearly, the compiler of that set disagrees with me.[/QUOTE]

Czes, no offense, but whats your hard on about 'Poison Ivy League"?? It's a cool little ditty that rocks along and its a very good vocal performance by Elvis. Also some great guitar work. Given the number of dreadful number of soundtrack songs they made Elvis record, this ranks as one of his better ones for sure.

Of all Elvis's soundtrack LPs, "Roustabout" is my favorite. its pretty obvious they went the extra mile to make the movie and the soundtrack better than was expected. Perhaps that had something to do with Barbara Stanwyk being involved, as all reports were that she was a no nonsense lady that gave and expected 100% effort from everyone involved with her work.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  24. SKATTERBRANE

Well, I think it is clear what I think about Big Love Big Heartache. I think it is the best song on the album, with Little Egypt right behind it. I consider many of Elvis' soundtracks a 50/5o affair. 1/2 of the songs are good or great and 1/2 are mediocre or out and out embarrassing.

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Sorry - you and Czeskelba are absolutely right (and I’m absolutely wrong!).

I read COMMAND PERFORMANCES as “Two-fers” or whatever they’re actually called. Needless to say, I have both, and agree totally that Poison Ivy League should not have been on COMMAND PERFORMANCES (which, overall, I find to be a pretty good compilation).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.