The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Wondering where the "demon cat" came from - doesn't appear at all on the UK cover, appears on the Spanish LP cover then becomes the main focus of the US cassette!

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

3. mark winstanley

4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Just recalling that I once had a used cassette of this but the felt pad fell off and I kid you not that the squeaking when played was louder than the music!

I saw it on vinyl last year (sealed) in a shop which probably still has it.
    It was $100 and has Did Ya on it but I only remember that as it was the final track and a short title.

The only cuts iam familiar with are Scattered and Still Searching from my Songs Of Ray Davies CD and I really like both especially the latter.

Was Hattred a 7" Single?
    Can't recall the song but we'll know it related to our brothers grim!

Edit: Oh yeah I knew the press and critics dissed it and I have never seen it on CD.

5. mark winstanley

Japan 2 cd re-issue 2007

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1-1 Opening 0:38
    1-2 Wall Of Fire 4:59
    1-3 Drift Away 5:02
    1-4 Still Searching 4:52
    1-5 Phobia 5:16
    1-6 Only A Dream 5:04
    1-7 Don't 4:36
    1-8 Babies 4:47
    1-9 Over The Edge 4:20
    1-10 Surviving 6:00
    1-11 It's Alright (Don't Think About It) 3:31
    1-12 The Informer 4:01
    1-13 Hatred (A Duet) 6:06
    1-14 Somebody Stole My Car 4:04
    1-15 Close To The Wire 4:01
    1-16 Scattered 4:12

EP [Did Ya] (Bonus Disc)
    2-1 Did Ya 4:33
    2-2 Gotta Move (Live) 3:12
    2-3 Days 3:25
    2-4 New World 3:21
    2-5 Look Through Any Doorway 3:51

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Looks Katty!

7. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I loved Phobia when it came out. Thought it was a real return to form after Think Visual and UK Jive. Scattered is fantastic.

TeddyB, markelis, Wondergirl and 12 others like this.
  8. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I was driving somewhere in the USA during the summer of 1993 when I heard "Hatred (A Duet)" on the radio and it blew my mind. I loved it then and my appreciation for that song has only increased over the years. In my mind, "Hatred" is one of the best songs Ray ever wrote and one of the hardest rocking recordings the Kinks ever made. It motivated me to find a Kinks show and go - turned out to be in Easton PA - and I was glad to see such an iconic band in a pretty small venue. Of course, they did not play "Hatred" at that show (as was the case for most 1993 Kinks shows) but they did perform three songs from Phobia including "Still Searching" which I grew to really like. In my book, Phobia is a pretty good late period Kinks record - a cut above, for example, every Stones studio album after Tattoo You. Yes it is long compared to most other Kinks albums due to the CD format but it holds enough highlights to make me think of it as a very worthy record in the katalogue.

9. mark winstanley

10. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

That looks like the one to get!

11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I always thought Ray uncharacteristically resembled Michael Hutchence on the cover photo, which I suspect is the reason the image was selected!

12. mark winstanley

apparently so

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. mark winstanley

I never really thought about it before, but I have to say that I like the cover, and the seemingly many variations

14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Uh? Is that Ray on the sleeve TWICE instead of Ray and Dave?

15. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Phobia, phobia, phobia. Let me think. I’ve never liked the artwork, this is a record I’ve only ever owned on CD, and the cover is too small to be arresting, you just get the tabloid satire, something deliberately “unbeautiful”. On a closer look (and if I ever come across it in vinyl), it’s an eye grabbing image, the two Davies brothers as fugitives or tracked celebrities in an end of the world scenario, think Rats in a State of confusion. I like it.

This leads me to the fact that the main (= only) issue I have with this record is that it’s a CD. Too long for a single album, too short (4 songs a side) for a proper double, it meanders by nature, and creates moments of frustration, in which the listener feels trapped in limbo or something. But then, there’s always a good/great song to get you back in, up until the very end, of course.

It’s the only Kinks album I bought on release. I had only four years of Kinks fandom behind me to prepare for it and ingest the whole discography, so it was completely natural, I just bought it and enjoyed it (tremendously!) without questioning its place as a come-back, even less so as a send-off. I remember getting it and listening to it in my first little studio apartment, after leaving my parent’s home. Some records, you remember where/when you bought them, the actual store you put your hands on them. But some records give you images of where/when you listened to them. Phobia’s the only Kinks record that does that for me, probably because I didn’t go back to it too often after that. It’s a kapsule in time for me. Was it only a dream?

16. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

The headline on the newspaper that Dave is holding: "MAXWELL'S [something] BAIL SCRAMBLE". I thought this would have been a reference to Robert Maxwell, but I don't think he was ever actually arrested before his death in 1991, and wouldn't have needed bailing out? Any other ideas?

17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Maybe Dave received the paper from time travelling aliens and the ‘bail Maxwell’ headline concerned Roberts daughter 30 years hence?

18. mark winstanley

Oct 1963 - Nov 1966 -
    Apr 1967 - Feb 1970
    Nov 1970 - Jun 1976
    Feb 1977 - Dec 1983

Starstruck promo video/ Days video/ Sunny Afternoon TOTP

Artificial Light or. mix

Morphing docu of Hotelroom sessions + interview Ray + live KinKs in Vienna 1978.

One For The Road - the lost videos

1981 A Woman In Love (chorus girls)

Oh Tokyo live in 1982 - lyrics

Album flow chart

Live In Frankfurt in 1984

Nov 1984 Word Of Mouth
    Do It Again - video - live 84 - live 87 - SNL - interview
    Word Of Mouth - SNL - live 84
    Good Day - live 84 - 12"
    Living On A Thin Line - live 84 - Dave 2001 - Sopranos
    Sold Me Out
    Massive Reductions
    Guilty - live 89
    Too Hot - single
    Missing Persons
    Summer's Gone - Full length
    Going Solo - original album edit

The Dave songs up to this point

Kompilations part 4 - 1984

The Arista Years

Kompilations Part 5 - 1985
    extras - 69, 73, 77
    Supersonic Rocketship alt mix
    Celluloid Heroes mono
    Moving Pictures alt mix

Interview

Magazines - 2 - 3 - 4

Jul 1985 Return To Waterloo - documentary - Fan Soundtrack - Movie
    Intro
    Return To Waterloo - alternate - info - promo video
    Ladder Of Success - the late mix
    Going Solo

Missing Persons
    Sold Me Out - original lp mix
    Lonely Hearts - album version
    The Good Times Are Gone/Not Far Away
    Expectations
    Return To Waterloo/Voices In The Dark - alt mix

The Great Lost Kinks Movie -Village Voice 1985

April 1986 Absolute Beginners/Quiet Life

June 1986 Come Dancing With The Kinks

Kompilations pt 6 - 1986

Ray promoting Think Visual
    Musician Magazine
    Interview record
    EC Rocker Magazine
    Ray 86 Interview
    People Magazine
    Ray guest VJ

Nov 1986 Think Visual
    Working At The Factory
    Lost And Found - video - live 87 - excerpt and questions
    Repetition
    Welcome to Sleazy Town - live 89 - Ray Interview with Sue
    Video Shop
    Rock And Roll Cities - Video - MTV
    How Are You? - video - tv 86 - video
    Think Visual - live - live 87
    Natural Gift
    Killing Time
    When You Were A Child

Ray and Howard Stern

1987 Kompiles - Hit Singles - The Kinks Are Well Respected Men

Chicago 1987

Pete Quaife interview

Jan 1988 The Road - Setlists
    The Road - video - Ray on Letterman 88 - single edit
    Destroyer
    Apeman
    Come Dancing
    Art Lover
    Cliches Of The World - video
    Think Visual
    Living On A Thin Line - video
    Lost And Found
    It (I Want It) - video
    Around The Dial
    Give The People What They Want
    You Really Got Me

Apr 1988 Massey Hall

Apr 1988 Milwaukee

1988 80 Days (complete album)
    Around The World In Eighty Days
    80 Days the play - bootleg audio - review - L.A. Times
    80 Days demos
    Let It Be Written
    The Empire Song
    Well Bred Englishman
    Against The Tide
    Ladies Of The Night
    On The Map
    It Could Have Been Him/Mongolia/No Surprises
    Welcome To India
    Just Passing Through
    Who DoYou Think You Are?
    80 Days
    Members Of The Club
    Conspiracy
    Tell Her/Tell Him
    Be Rational
    -----------------
    Who Is This Man?
    Here
    A Place In Your Heart
    The Play and Songs

1988 Kompilations

1989 Kompilations

Oct 1989 UK Jive - Ray interview
    Musician magazine 1990
    Aggravation - live 1990 - live 1989 - lyrics update - ext version - Edit
    How Do I Get Close? - Ray live - video
    UK Jive - live 1990 - Ready Steady Go - alt mix / int post
    Now And Then - alt mix
    What Are We Doing?
    Entertainment
    War Is Over - Ray
    Down All The Days - video
    Loony Balloon
    Dear Margaret
    Bright Lights
    Perfect Strangers
    Million Pound Semi Detached

UK Jive era tours
    Offenbach 1989

1990 Rock Hall Of Fame

1990 Kompilations - Lost and Found

1991 Kompilations

1991 Did Ya ep
    Did Ya - Ray and Ned
    I Gotta Move
    Days
    New World
    Look Through Any Doorway - lyrics - live at the bottom line 97

Sept 12th 1992 Live at Parc de La Courneuve

1992 Kompilations

1992 Weird Nightmare - Mingus doc

1993 Kompilations

89-93 Club Vegas - chat

Mar 1993 Phobia

Kinks live TOTP 1994
    Dec 94 Stuttgart

Ray Storytellers live 1996

2001 Dave Davies Fragile
    Violet Dreams

No More Mysteries
    Wait
    Bright Lights
    Give Something Back
    Hope
    Long Lonely Road
    Open Up Your Heart

Dave Creeping Jean live 2004

2005 Thanksgiving Day Ray live on Conan Obrien

2006 Ray gets top honour at BMI awards

2006 Dave - Too Much On My Mind

2010 Come Dancing play

Oct 2018 Dave Davies - Decade - interview
    If You Are Leaving (71)
    Cradle To The Grace (73)
    Midnight Sun (73)
    Mystic Woman (73)
    The Journey (73)
    Shadows (73)
    Web Of Time (75)
    Mr Moon (75) - Why
    Islands (78)
    Give You All My Love (78)
    Within Each Day (78)
    Same Old Blues (78)
    This Precious Time (78)

2019 Kast Off Kinks with Ray

2022 Muswell/ Showbiz box
    2022 Celluloid Heroes
    Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues

Creem articles - Mar 70
    - Mar 71
    - Feb 72
    - Aug 73
    - Apr 74
    - Jul 74
    - Aug 75
    - Feb 76
    - Aug 77
    - Apr 78
    - Aug 78
    - Oct 78
    - Jan 81
    - May 85
    - Apr 85
    - Apr 87
    - May 87
    - Jun 87
    - Jun 88

Rob Kopp has made his 1999 Kinks discography 'Down All The days Till 1992'

US Chart Stats
    The Music Industry Machine

Mick Avory
    Pete Quaife - interview - Kast Off Kinks - I Could See It In Your Eyes - Dead End Street
    Rasa Didzpetris Davies
    John Dalton
    John Gosling
    Jim Rodford
    Ian Gibbons
    Andy Pyle
    Gordon Edwards
    Clive Davis

Bob Henrit
    Mark Haley - info

19. mark winstanley

Hopefully that worked properly torturous on the wife's laptop lol

20. mark winstanley

Pretty sure that's Dave on the left

21. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

Obviously, terms like "not any good" or "all bad" won't apply to any Kinks album - there's always something to grab onto. But when I eventually bought this album a few years after its release (in one of those ever-present CD dollar bins that were legion by the mid-90s), I thought it was overall a bad album. To put in context how far I had drifted from the band by this point, like many others here, I was well aware of "Scattered" - had seen the video and heard it on the radio. One for the ages. That alone should have been impetus to pick up the album for old times' sake. Not this time. Starting with the uneasy feeling I had with Think Visual and progressing more on each album, I had no urge to buy new Kinks product by this point in the 90s. Ray just seemed to be losing the thread with each passing album: showing flashes of his brilliance all along the way, but constructing albums that had way too much filler. I think "turgid" was the word that came to mind. It just didn't feel right. Still doesn't. I haven't listened to the album in years and am curious to hear it now. I've incorporated four of the tracks into my playlist, which isn't a bad take. But it felt like there were no fence-sitters in the remaining tracks!

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘Phobia’ Preliminary Thoughts
    I hereby (tentatively) declare this the best Kinks album since ‘Misfits.’ After having discussed two albums, back-to-back, from which I haven’t selected a single track to grace my Phase III playlist (‘…Semi-Detached’ made it but it isn’t an album track. Oh, ‘Loony Balloon’ would have made it if it was on Apple Music so that’s one track) my expectations weren’t very high. And then all of a sudden I’m introduced to this wonderful cornucopia of (mostly) delights. I get to actually sharpen my pencil, look thoughtful and carefully consider multiple options to add to my list. There’s a few duds (due to trying to fill up the cd space) but, overall, a really good album.

And the 5-song end run ? Wow!

I’m looking forward to the discussion of this gem.

23. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

Gawd, the Kinks „Phobia“…what an album. Essentially it’s the Kinks album to end all Kinks albums. My impression is that this time Ray tried to consolidate all experience that he accumulated since 1979’s „Low Budget“ to deliver the ultimate latter day Kinks album. There’s your arena rockers, the elegant noir ballads and a couple of sunny moments. To top it off though, this time he decided to make it an extended album like Michael Jackson’s „Dangerous“ with way too many, way too long tracks.

Why are there so many songs? - Because there’s plenty of room on a CD that could carry 74 (or 80) minutes.

Why are the songs so long? - That’s the real big problem. They’re all a couple of choruses longer than usual. Mostly around 4 minutes in Ray decides to let his brother play a guitar solo. But then apparently you can’t end a song on a solo, so to drive the song home there's yet another couple of choruses, and all of a sudden you end up with lots of songs that verge on the 6 minute mark.

All that said, „Phobia“ has a special place in my heart. A Kinks album from 1993 seems pretty surreal to me. I was 15 and very awake as far as releases go, but I never noticed that album at the time. I remember being very excited about Paul McCartney’s „Off The Ground“ (who was most unfashionable in 1993) and I try to imagine I had bought „Phobia“ at the same time, I just can’t.

I got hold of „Phobia“ in 2000 from the local library. It’s just the kind of album a library would carry. I had read some pretty cruel reviews from the internet (which was in its infancy). Most notably the review from George Starostin had me curious. A worst album ever? From The Kinks? From 1993? Gotta hear that! I remember expecting the worst music ever, but my initial impression was: What’s the problem? Those are still high quality melodies that other songwriters would kill for. Also as ever I tend to champion those underdog (in this case almost underground) albums that can’t defend themselves.

The cover gives us a taste this is going to be all doom & gloom, leaving behind a sort of a dark legacy. It also looks to me like a punk rock demo with the cut & paste logos. And then there’s that strange Davies brothers photo on top, Ray guarding himself from that grim scene with a newspaper, while Dave is posing like a cool rocker.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  24. mark winstanley

I've been thinking about this a fair bit...

I actually think the songs are very good to excellent across the board.... but there is an issue with it as an album in some ways.

This is a long album, and I have no particular issue with long albums, but what I noticed when I went to look at possible alternate tracklistings and such, I think I noticed what may be the problem.
    We have a stack of very good songs, but they are predominantly moderate tempo, ballad type songs, and 16 of them back to back (generalising a little) isn't the most flattering presentation

25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I’m 99% sure it’s Dave with the paper and Ray posing.

donstemple, markelis, Smiler and 7 others like this.