Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stop Where You Are annoys me due to the movie version, where they actually stop the film when Elvis sings the word ‘stop’. It just seems so absolutely cheap and low-brow.

Iceman08, Hooperfan, DirkM and 2 others like this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yeah I remember that. It was shocking. One of the few Elvis movies I actually saw in a sit down theatre. I saw a couple more at drive-in double features.

I saw Jailhouse Rock in the theatre too, with my aunt. I was VERY young. I saw Clambake and Speedway with my family at the drive-in. And I saw Trouble With Girls, Change Of Habit and TTWII in the theatre too. I saw On Tour for the first time in 2012 when it was released for its anniversary in the theatre. The rest of his movies I saw on network TV back in the 60s and 70s.

3. I do like House of Sand, mostly because of the instrumentation and backing vocals (particularly the tremelo’d guitar solo). A remix would benefit this track.

Once again the scene where this song is used is ridiculous. What a shock - everything that’s stacked up gets knocked over! And a close-up of bongos? Well then boost the bongos in the mix! The girl runs a spoon over wooden boards? Make it sound like a xylophone!

RSteven, mark winstanley and DirkM like this.
  4. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Oh man, that's terrible. What were they thinking?!

I'm starting to think that I need to give the movie another chance, just for the "so bad it's good" factor.

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  5. SKATTERBRANE

One thing I have never been able to get over in my life: Why won't a bunch of scantily clad beautiful women start dancing all around me when I start singing? Every time I even try, nothing happens except maybe people thinking I escaped from an asylum or something.

Iceman08, Spencer R, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

:)
    I walk around singing all day ... I get smiles, but they may be "the bus will be here soon" smiles lol .... and no scantily clad ladies anywhere in sight

7. SKATTERBRANE

Yeah, the core reason for my discontentment in life is my life is NOT like an Elvis movie.

8. Well, you’re not Elvis ;)

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  9. SKATTERBRANE

That's for sure!

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  10. My Trilogy of Terror from a purely film point of view is Tickle Me, Harum Scarum and Paradise, Hawaiian Style. Impossible to pick the worst as they're all terrible.

My wife and I got married in Hawaii and had a Justice of the Peace perform the ceremony on the beach. The JotP was a former cop and told me he worked off-duty as security on the set of Paradise, Hawaiian Style. He mentioned how Elvis would have him invite any lady that Elvis fancied to whatever after-filming events were going on. I'll leave it open to your own interpretation as to what those 'events' were!

Iceman08, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

Hey, just about any man who could do it, would do it. Those who say they wouldn't are lying to themselves.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

A House Of Sand is a decent sounding song and I like it for most of the same reasons that Shawn does. I like Stop Where You Are for the same reasons as Mark. So far, this is a very decent sounding album, but to me personally, the highs on Paradise Hawaiian Style are not as musically interesting as my favorite songs on Harum Scarum. I am sure I am in the minority on this opinion. I also think that the last two songs, which I know we are about to get to soon, might be two of my favorite songs on the whole album.

mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

"Stop Where You Are" seems like one of the better songs on the record. It kind of reminds me a bit of Buddy Holly's "Take Your Time." "A House of Sand" is okay also. I'm feeling like this record is a step up from Frankie and Johnny. Nothing that's outstanding, but it's got a fairly consistent level of okay mediocrity, and the songs at least sound like Elvis songs.

Shawn, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

This Is My Heaven
    Written By :
    Bernie Baum, Bill Giant & Florence Kaye

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, July 26-27 and August 2-4, 1965 : August 2, 1965. splice take 8 & 6

This is the very romantic song of the album, and I get a feeling they were aiming for this to be the Can't Help Falling In Love of Paradise Hawaiian Style.
    It's a sweet song and certainly not one I feel a need to skip, but it falls short of CHFIL

Shawn likes this.
  15. SKATTERBRANE

The best song on the album and I actually seek it out to play from time to time.

16. mark winstanley

Sand Castles
    Written By :
    David Hess & Herb Goldberg

Recorded :

Radio Recorders, Hollywood, July 26-27 and August 2-4, 1965 : August 3, 1965. take 2

I guess thematically this is a follow up to House Made Of Sand ... there's lots of sand at the beach :) ....
    I actually like this song well enough as well. We have another gentle ballad and it comes over nicely with the acoustic guitar.
    On the whole this really isn't a bad album and although the songs certainly don't compete with songs from Elvis Is Back, one could make an argument that they come pretty close to the Blue Hawaii soundtrack, which at the end of the day was the whole idea.
    I actually find it quite bizarre that the powers that be, that were running the show (into the ground) felt the need to copy a different movie to try and increase the waning interest in Elvis. Surely they realised how cheap and nasty the last few movies were, and how comparatively poor the soundtracks were?
    Anyhow, for me this is better than Frankie and Harum, but none of the three can compare with Elvis' real albums, and fortunately we are about to get back into some real Elvis.
    As much as I have enjoyed going through these albums, it will be nice to pick the quality up a whole bunch.

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. SKATTERBRANE

The second best song. It is the only song on the album Elvis recorded with a live band. And it does have a unique quality. Musically it reminds me of Gently from Something For Everybody.

18. mark winstanley

Is it just me, or this a reasonable album? Certainly not stellar, but reasonable.

19. SKATTERBRANE

It is not just you, but there are few of us.

20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I think Sand Castles would have made a pretty good Searchers album track.

21. mark winstanley

22. mark winstanley

23. mark winstanley

Apr 2 1964

Kissin' Cousins - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Kissin' Cousins 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Smokey Mountain Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 There's Gold In The Mountains Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 One Boy, Two Little Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Catchin' On Fast Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Tender Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Anyone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Barefoot Ballad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Once Is Enough Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Kissin Cousins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Echoes Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 28 1964
    What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 1964
    Viva Las Vegas
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Viva Las Vegas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Yellow Rose Of Texas/Eyes Of Texas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 The Lady Loves Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 C'mon everybody Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Today Tomorrow And Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 The Climb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 What'd I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 If You Think I Don't Need You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 I Need Somebody To Lean On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Nightlife Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Do The Vega Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 You're The Boss Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jul 14 1964
    Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Never Ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 20 1964
    Roustabout
    track 1 Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Little Egypt Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Poison Ivy League Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Track 4 Hard Knocks Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 It's A Wonderful World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Big Love Big Heartache Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 One Track Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 It's Carnival Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Carny town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 There's A Brand New Day On The Horizon Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Wheels On My Heels Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

I'm A Roustabout Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sep 22 1964
    Aint That Loving you Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Ask Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 3 1964
    Blue Christmas/Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 9 1965
    Do The Clam/You'll Be Gone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 2 1965
    Girl happy
    track 1 Girl Happy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Spring Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Startin' Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Wolf Call Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Do Not Disturb Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Cross My Heart And Hope to Die Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 The Meanest Girl In town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Do The Clam Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Puppet On A String Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I've Got To Find My Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 You'll Be Gone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1965
    Crying In The Chapel/Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 8 1965
    Easy Question/ It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 15 1965
    Tickle Me EP

Aug 10 1965
    Elvis For Everyone
    track 1 Your Cheating Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Finder Keepers Losers Weepers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 In My Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Tomorrow Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Memphis Tennessee Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 For The Millionth and the Last Time Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Forget Me Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Sound Advice Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Santa Lucia Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Met Her Today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 When it Rains It Really Pours Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    complete original LP version Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 10 1965
    I'm Yours/ Long Lonely Highway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 26 1965
    Puppet On A String/ Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1965

Blue Christmas/ Santa Claus Is Back In Town Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 3 1965
    Harum Scarum
    track 1 Harum Holiday Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Desert Serenade Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Go East young Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Mirage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Kismet Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Shake That tambourine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Hey Little Girl Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Golden Coins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 So Close Yet So Far Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Animal Instinct Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Wisdom Of The Ages Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Dec 14 1965
    Tell Me Why Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Blue River Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 15 1966
    Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho/ Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Milky White Way/ Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1 1966
    Frankie And Johnny/Please Don't Stop Loving Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 1 1966
    Frankie And Johnny
    track 1 Frankie And Johnny Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Come Along Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Petunia The Gardener's Daughter Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Chesay Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 What Every Woman Lives For Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Lookout Broadway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Beginner's Luck Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Down By The Riverside/ When The Saints Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Shout It Out Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Hard Luck Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Please Don't Stop Loving Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Come Aboard Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 8 1966
    Love Letters Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Come What May Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jun 10 1966
    Paradise Hawaiian Style
    track 1 Paradise Hawaiian Style Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Queenie Wahine's Papaya Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Scratch My Back Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Drums Of The Islands Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Datin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Dog's Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 House Of Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Stop Where you Are Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 This Is My Heaven Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Sand Castles Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    interview 72 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

24. While it’s a bit mellow, Sand Castles has a fantastic melody. And Elvis seems committed. A nice track.

I like This Is My Heaven too. Like Mark said, I think it’s a bit of a re-work of Can’t Help Falling In Love, but it stands on its own (dirge-like tempo notwithstanding).

While I like this soundtrack more than Frankie & Johnny, I don’t place it as high as Harum Scarum. There’s too many embarrassing moments, with arguably two Barefoot Ballad moments (Queenie Whahinee and Datin’) while I don’t find Harum Scarum has any.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

mark winstanley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.